Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jun 7, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #11,671 of 15,986
the new 2.0 firmware
I thought that the leap to 2.0 would include DTS decoding, apparently not, according to what you quoted from Giles last week.

I can live with that. Atmos is the most important 3D codec. I only have a handful of discs with DTS-X. And normal DTS-decoding to PCM is done by my player.

Btw. Sometimes I'm impressed by the Dolby Surround upmixer. Somehow it seems to recognize the sound of a helicopter or rain etc. and puts it to the top speakers.

Jun 7, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #11,672 of 15,986
Imagine: 360 degree headtracking with a wireless headtracker and wireless headphones: we could dance and make pirouettes in our own ultimate silent disco!
Well, at today's Apple WWDC, they slipped in an announcement: The Airpods Max working with the Apple TV 4K will be able to render Atmos using 'Spatial Audio with full head tracking'.

I have both, so will report as soon as I get a chance to do some testing.
So far, I've been impressed with Atmos on the Airpod Max from my iPad Pro playing Disney+ Atmos content. It is no match for the A16, especially since there is no personalized HRTF.

I've been expecting the announcement of the support via ATV, as that is such an obvious use case. Glad to see they did it.

BTW- I love my Airpods Max, they are my most used headphone. The ANC and being wireless is so, so nice.
My electrostatic headphones have not been touched in months. Ease of use and comfort are real things.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #11,673 of 15,986
BTW- I love my Airpods Max, they are my most used headphone. The ANC and being wireless is so, so nice.
I totally second this. My Airpods Max are getting as much if not more hours on than my AB-1266. I wish it was closer to A16 (I only listened to it at CanJam, but was quite impressed) and since have been considering a purchase. But having Apple offer Atmos directly, I hope they get better over time or closer to A16, as Airpods Max are super comfortable and easy to use/pair with my Apple TV/iPad.

Jun 7, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #11,674 of 15,986
I hope they get better over time
I fully expect them to. My guess is they will enable scanning a person's head using either the cameras (they demoed some 3D object capture using only cameras) or using the LIDAR on the 12 Pro Max and iPad Pro. Maybe both if available. This would allow modeling a decent approximation of the HRTF. As long as the Pinnae are modeled accurately enough. That HRTF would then be associated with the account owner's iCloud and would be used by all playback devices to factor in the HRTF.

Jun 7, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #11,675 of 15,986
Coolest thing in ALL headphones, and probably most any other object, matter by this Yard Stick.

It's certainly funny to see someone finally Crack the Realiser's shell for everyone and anyone

Capturing these speakers PERFECTLY should have us in Awe, I bet those are wonderful.
And the affect is probably beyond mortal words, eventually these are gonna be amazing. Following closely! This is just principle-stuff-

Series pic (plus the best and most sexiest) efforts and photos in the Realiser A16 domain.

Attachments

• 5615.jpg
    5615.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #11,676 of 15,986
Coolest thing in ALL headphones, and probably most any other object, matter by this Yard Stick.

It's certainly funny to see someone finally Crack the Realiser's shell for everyone and anyone

Capturing these speakers PERFECTLY should have us in Awe, I bet those are wonderful.
And the affect is probably beyond mortal words, eventually these are gonna be amazing. Following closely! This is just principle-stuff-

Series pic (plus the best and most sexiest) efforts and photos in the Realiser A16 domain.
Very, kind of you to say... I am quite excited as well... It's a ton of work (as you know) but the results are worth the effort.

Jun 7, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #11,677 of 15,986
A16 owners are in for something special.

3DSoundShop Universal PRIRs completed:

Both 9.1.6 and 15.1.8

Paradigm Studio 20s V5
KEF LS50 Meta
Klipsch RP-600M

IMO... So far they are pretty spectacular! Dolby spec speaker angle and placement, room correction for all individual channels, as well as bass management has really paid off.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #11,678 of 15,986
Well, at today's Apple WWDC, they slipped in an announcement: The Airpods Max working with the Apple TV 4K will be able to render Atmos using 'Spatial Audio with full head tracking'.

I have both, so will report as soon as I get a chance to do some testing.
So far, I've been impressed with Atmos on the Airpod Max from my iPad Pro playing Disney+ Atmos content. It is no match for the A16, especially since there is no personalized HRTF.

I've been expecting the announcement of the support via ATV, as that is such an obvious use case. Glad to see they did it.

My electrostatic headphones have not been touched in months. Ease of use and comfort are real things.

I totally second this. My Airpods Max are getting as much if not more hours on than my AB-1266. I wish it was closer to A16 (I only listened to it at CanJam, but was quite impressed) and since have been considering a purchase. But having Apple offer Atmos directly, I hope they get better over time or closer to A16, as Airpods Max are super comfortable and easy to use/pair with my Apple TV/iPad.

I’ll third this. I use my APM for hours a day as I’m still working remotely and I just tend to listen to music all day. My HD 800 are basically only used now when I’m using the A16. The sound on the APM is good enough for for everyday listening and the convenience of them is so great. For a non-personalized HRTF their Spatial Audio is quite convincing to my ears. Again, no where near the A16, but for me those and the new iPad Pro with the mini LED screen are a neat little portable A/V experience.

Jun 7, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #11,679 of 15,986
Jun 7, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #11,680 of 15,986
A16 owners are in for something special.

3DSoundShop Universal PRIRs completed:

Both 9.1.6 and 15.1.8

Paradigm Studio 20s V5
KEF LS50 Meta
Klipsch RP-600M

IMO... So far they are pretty spectacular! Dolby spec speaker angle and placement, room correction for all individual channels, as well as bass management has really paid off.
Wondering what bass management settings did you use or set with the Realiser? Also which type of SW for these systems? As I heard LFE capture can be tricky etc..

Jun 7, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #11,681 of 15,986
Wondering what bass management settings did you use or set with the Realiser? Also which type of SW for these systems? As I heard LFE capture can be tricky etc..
No bass management settings in the Realiser are needed. The bass management was done when the PRIRs were created. During the measurement process, the room correction software treated each channel as "small". This way... the software sets the crossover, then incorporates and seamlessly blends the subwoofer with each speaker to achieve a full frequency response. The subwoofer was also measured separately... but that measurement is specifically for the LFE.

You are correct... The LFE can be tricky. But, the room correction software I use has a live measuring feature... When I did my measurements... I put the SW at the listener position. I then moved around the room with the calibration microphone to find the "best" spot in the room for my SW to be...This way, I can see the instant frequency response (computer graph) of the SW in any area of the room in real time. This is a really useful feature. Sure beats the SW "crawl method" and repeatedly moving the heavy SW.

For my PRIRs... I am using the incredible SVS SB-3000. I had hoped to use my Paradigm Sub 2... But it requires it's own 240v circuit.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #11,682 of 15,986
No bass management settings in the Realiser are needed. The bass management was done when the PRIRs were created. During the measurement process, the room correction software treated each channel as "small". This way... the software sets the crossover, then incorporates and seamlessly blends the subwoofer with each speaker to achieve a full frequency response. The subwoofer was also measured separately... but that measurement is specifically for the LFE.

You are correct... The LFE can be tricky. But, the room correction software I use has a live measuring feature... When I did my measurements... I put the SW at the listener position. I then moved around the room with the calibration microphone to find the "best" spot in the room for my SW to be...This way, I can see the instant frequency response (computer graph) of the SW in any area of the room in real time. This is a really useful feature. Sure beats the SW "crawl method" and repeatedly moving the heavy SW.

For my PRIRs... I am using the incredible SVS SB-3000. I had hoped to use my Paradigm Sub 2... But it requires it's own 240v circuit.
how did you manage to measure the SW by itself individually? Which firmware are you using? asking bc i thought that with the actual firmware, measurements could only be done by pair of spkrs , the SW is combined with the C channel if i am right?

Jun 7, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #11,683 of 15,986
Jun 7, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #11,684 of 15,986
how did you manage to measure the SW by itself individually? Which firmware are you using? asking bc i thought that with the actual firmware, measurements could only be done by pair of spkrs , the SW is combined with the C channel if i am right?
You are correct.. the subwoofer was part of the SW and C PRIR.

The subwoofer was measured by itself. But the bass management software also includes and seamlessly blends the subwoofer in with the center channel (and all other channels) to create a full range speaker(s).

This is the main reason bass management is not necessary from within the A16.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #11,685 of 15,986
You are correct.. the subwoofer was part of the SW and C PRIR.

The subwoofer was measured by itself. But the bass management software also includes and seamlessly blends the subwoofer in with the center channel (and all other channels) to create a full range speaker(s).

This is the main reason bass management is not necessary from within the A16.
So did you move the SW to its sweet spot and done all the measurement for all channels including the one for the SW/C pairs or relocalized the SW afterwards for its own LFE measurements?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back