Smyth Research Realiser A16
Feb 20, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #11,327 of 16,005
First: beware that you won't be able to set delays for the speakers with the A16, and it also can not (yet) do room correction EQ. (Contrary to what I said in the past it is possible to change the individual speaker levels with the gain setting in the listening rooms it seems, my apologies for that.)

For Atmos with phantom center you have to choose one of the few listening modes that doesn't use a center.
See page 90 of the manual: 11 Appendix A: 11.1 Listening rooms loudspeaker configurations Dolby Atmos Listening Rooms loudspeaker configurations.
6.0.2m, 6.1.2m, and 6.2.2m are the only options for you then (2m means that you use the 2 middle top speakers), unfortunately there aren't any choices with 4 top speakers.

Thanks so much for your perfectly helpful reply - I now know much better the options that I have. The mixer solution, I wouldn't have even though about that; the 6.1.2 configuration I hadn't seen; I do have a matching center speaker, it's just that the way my room is set up it blocks some of the screen.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #11,329 of 16,005
What are the main drawbacks to using it as an AV preamp?
-no delay settings for the individual speakers (but if you can place all your speakers at the same distance from your main listening position then you don't need it)
-no parametric equalizer / room correction (but that doesn't need to be a drama, some people even don't want to use it)
-no automatic speaker setup, you will have to manually determine the proper speaker levels
( Normal AV Receivers can do an automatic speaker setup using a microphone to set levels, delays and often also parametric EQ, also it will automatically detect which speakers you have connected so for example a phantom center would also be set automatically if you didn't connect a center speaker, also bass management would be set automatically)
-limited number of listening modes for special situations like yours with phantom center
-no DTS decoding (for now)

Feb 20, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #11,330 of 16,005
-no delay settings for the individual speakers (but if you can place all your speakers at the same distance from your main listening position then you don't need it)
-no parametric equalizer / room correction (but that doesn't need to be a drama, some people even don't want to use it)
-no automatic speaker setup, you will have to manually determine the proper speaker levels
( Normal AV Receivers can do an automatic speaker setup using a microphone to set levels, delays and often also parametric EQ, also it will automatically detect which speakers you have connected so for example a phantom center would also be set automatically if you didn't connect a center speaker, also bass management would be set automatically)
-limited number of listening modes for special situations like yours with phantom center
-no DTS decoding (for now)
If you used the A16 in conjunction with a computer running something like JRiver, most of these issues could be addressed. IDK if that's true of most Blue Ray decks, but probably the Opto decks, if you can lay your hands on one, will address most of these issues, I think.

Feb 20, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #11,331 of 16,005
Couple of quick questions for the group.

(1) For PRIRs, can they be renamed while still in buffer memory, or do they have to be transferred to the microSHD chip, and renamed via the PC?

(2) How many PRIRs does the buffer hold? And is it possible to erase any unwanted PRIRs on the buffer rather than have them fall off as new PRIRs are added?

Feb 20, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #11,333 of 16,005
If you used the A16 in conjunction with a computer running something like JRiver, most of these issues could be addressed. IDK if that's true of most Blue Ray decks, but probably the Opto decks, if you can lay your hands on one, will address most of these issues, I think.
Only up to 7.1. At least until JRiver or other software can decode Atmos (and/or DTS:X and or Auro 3D) to (up to 16 channels) of PCM and send it to the A16 via USB.

Feb 20, 2021 at 9:04 PM Post #11,334 of 16,005
Only up to 7.1. At least until JRiver or other software can decode Atmos (and/or DTS:X and or Auro 3D) to (up to 16 channels) of PCM and send it to the A16 via USB.
True, but I think most people using a Realiser will reserve their ATMOS, DTS-X, and Auro 3D for headphones, and use the A16's external speaker outputs for legacy PCM. Used that way, it can suffice for any legacy codec material (digital files, streaming services like Netflix, Amazon Prime and the like) and save someone the space and expense of a Home Theater receiver. If you want Atmos, etc, it probably make more sense to invest in something like a 32 channel Trinov, and pay some Home Theater consulting firm $100k+ to create a dedicated theater complete with Popcorn machine and snack bar.

BTW: my understanding is the reason why PC based software can't decode the object based codecs is because the owners' of those codecs won't license them for anything but dedicated Home Theater receivers, processors, and work stations.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #11,335 of 16,005
Update: Configuring the Advanced Sound Settings on the NVIDIA Shield TV Pro states that USB audio mode is Surround Sound 5.1 when a USB port is connected to a Behringer U-Control UCA202 driving a Sony DP-IF8000/MDR-IF8000 5.1-Channel Wireless Surround Sound Headphone processor.
Sounds to me like it needs a USB host. It is designed to connect to the PC, and the PC could then be connected to something like an OCTO. But, of course, that would defeat my purpose, which is to get the noisy PC out of the chain.

Feb 21, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #11,336 of 16,005
Sounds to me like it needs a USB host. It is designed to connect to the PC, and the PC could then be connected to something like an OCTO. But, of course, that would defeat my purpose, which is to get the noisy PC out of the chain.
I still think that no noisy PC is required. Just connect the NVIDIA Shield TV Pro's USB output port directly to the USB input port of the Okto Research dac8 PRO.

Feb 21, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #11,338 of 16,005
If I want to bypass the amp section of the A16 (the headphones I'm purchasing won't connect to it), can I run the two channel binaural sound into a 2 channel headphone amp?
Yes. Connect HP-A (or HP-B for B user part of course) RCA/cinch outputs to your headphone amps analog stereo input.
(Or SPDIF OUT-A or SPDIF OUT-B, coaxial or optical to a DAC/Amp.)

Feb 21, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #11,340 of 16,005
Wow, this is one complex beast. I’ve been preparing for an Asynch Atmos PRIR run this weekend for a couple of weeks now. Reading docs, forum posts and writing up a doc on the process (which I’ll share once I prove it is correct).

Well, I got it done! But it has a glitch, the Right top rear speaker (Rtr) clipped out (a second of silence, buzzy). At first, I thought it was a mastering error in the Atmos track. But then I recalled I had played the tracks all the way though 2 weeks ago when I first got them and they are fine on all speakers. So it must be my rig, and sure enough, it was. The banana plug for the hot on the channel had pulled out due to cable weight and was barely touching the tip. So when a major load was called for, it couldn’t do it.

I need some lacing bars, pronto.

Also forgot to take off my glasses on these runs, so got to re-do it all next weekend.

The practice doing this run will make the next one go quicker. I’ve been at this most of the day now.

Question: the mic level setting using the ‘noise’ track barely registered on the display, but I had my processor's volume crazy high (80) (on music that would result in >110dB SPL). But once the level_cal ran, all the per speaker runs had input levels register green.
Is there a baseline gain adjustment for mics somewhere? I know that the level_cal dynamically adjust gain, so maybe it does not matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back