Smyth Research Realiser A16
Feb 28, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #11,356 of 16,011
Does anyone have an NVIDIA shield? I bought one this month expressly so I would have a source for ATMOS movies on Netflix, and after setup it shows the same movies my desktop Netflix app shows as ATMOS as being 5.1. It clearly states it's supposed to support Atmos and DTS-X, and it's only showing Netflix titles in 5.1 when I can see they're offered in ATMOS on my PC app. Anyone know what gives?
I have had the 2019 pro version for more than a year. Atmos (Netflix, Kodi and wherever available) & Dts-X (Kodi)work fine. You may have to fiddle with setting, locate Dolby processing and turn it off for example.

Feb 28, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #11,357 of 16,011
Does anyone have an NVIDIA shield? I bought one this month expressly so I would have a source for ATMOS movies on Netflix, and after setup it shows the same movies my desktop Netflix app shows as ATMOS as being 5.1. It clearly states it's supposed to support Atmos and DTS-X, and it's only showing Netflix titles in 5.1 when I can see they're offered in ATMOS on my PC app. Anyone know what gives?
I have one and it works as intended when connected directly to the A16 via HDMI. This is going to sound like a stupid question, but have you played anything in Netflix on the Shield that you know has an Atmos track? My recollection (I can't remember if it was the Shield or Apple TV 4K) is that you might have to play something with Atmos once and then it should trigger content being tagged correctly in the app.

Feb 28, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #11,358 of 16,011
Try Witcher, The old guard, Altered Carbon these are the Atmos titles apart from many others.

Mar 1, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #11,359 of 16,011
The 2019 version of NVidia Shield can play Atmos content on Netflix, but not the 2017 version.
I have the 2017 version and to play Atmos content on Netflix, i have to use the Netflix extension for Kodi.

Mar 1, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #11,360 of 16,011
Yep, practice makes perfect. Although running a PRIR as I need to do can take a while.

So captured PRIRs for both myself and the spouse, and we also measured her cans HPEQ while she still had the microphones in.

Since I have a 5.1.4 system, but the Atmos room I have async files for is a 7.1.4 (and I want a 7.1.4 layout for the A16), I used a trick to record 3 PRIR runs for each users.
With the second one being a look left 45 degrees as the 'center' so we get a Lss at -103 degrees, and a thrid PRIR run starting with a look right at 45 degrees for a Rss at 103 degrees.
Then when loading the Atmos room for a user, we load the first PRIR as 'all speakers', but then select Lss and load the Lss from the second run as 'single speaker', repeat for the Rss from the third run, and done.

That sounds like it would be a lot easier and more reliable than turning your head back and forth during a single measurement run.

Maybe the mics were not positioned in the ears well enough to accurately capture the pinnae effect on the sound behind me. As I do not sense much in rear-panned sounds. The real system is much clearer about stuff being 'behind'. Thoughts?
You could try to verify that by capturing a PRIR with the Atmos async files, then a separate PRIR with PCM files (2.0 is enough), and if you really want to make sure, a third PRIR again with the Atmos files, without ever removing the microphones from your ears. If the Atmos-based PRIRs are noticably worse than one made with PCM files, my Atmos encoding is too inaccurate for the A16.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #11,361 of 16,011
I finally did the base layer for my ATMOS prir. Tomorrow I will capture the six height channels, and be able to put together a complete 9.1.6 set of PRIRs which I can use to construct a 9.1.6 ATMOS, 7.1.4 DTS-X and a 5.1 PCM room. I'm going to wait until I have all the PRIRs before I take a listen. Also figured out how to get the NVIDIA shield to show the ATMOS tag. So by the end of the week I should be in business. Have a feeling this Prir will be part of my learning curve, rather than a keeper, esp since I plan to purchase a pair of LS 50 Metas next month and should be taking delivery of my SOTA DAC preamp, the OCTO 8 Pro, as well as finally (I hope) getting my Purifi Eval 1 running.

Mar 1, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #11,362 of 16,011
Are there any HDMI ports that are more , uh, "superior" to use than others? The reason I ask is I was randomly scrolling through A16 settings and notice that HDMI 4, for example, has an option for "HDMI(4) IN PCM Direct" but only for that port. But from what I recall all of the ports should be the same specs-wise, right?

Mar 1, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #11,363 of 16,011
I have had the 2019 pro version for more than a year. Atmos (Netflix, Kodi and wherever available) & Dts-X (Kodi)work fine. You may have to fiddle with setting, locate Dolby processing and turn it off for example.
The way it got it to show ATMOS tag was to turn off 'auto' in the advanced sound setting and turn on all the formats.

Mar 2, 2021 at 3:36 AM Post #11,364 of 16,011
Attached is my own recent test spreadsheet comparing the identical content offerings from (1) four streaming services, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, HBO Max, and (2) evaluated for each streaming service as how the content was received by three streaming devices, nVidia Shield (tube) 2019, Roku Ultra 2020, and ATV4K 2018.

I was specifically researching the ability of and how streaming devices might receive 23.976 and 24.000 content, and in fact content of all possible fractional and integer refresh rates. The topic included whether the device set the TV's display refresh rate to match the framerate of the received content, and whether or not the streaming content itself was at fractional or integer framerate. And would that be automatic (ideal) or manual (less ideal, but still good if even manually possible) or not at all.

Attached are my findings. Since then I believe ATV4K beta firmware seems to have finally overcome (with existing hardware, just new firmware) the long standing issue that it was incapable of "native" handling integer framerate source content (e.g. Netflix original content at 24.000) delivering it exactly as received (i.e. at 24.000) to the TV while also setting the TV's framerate to match, instead of the way it currently works which is to convert 24.000 content to 23.976 and delivering that content at 23.976 to the TV and setting the TV's refresh rate to 23.976.

Attachments

• Streaming Device Comparison.xlsx
    20.4 KB · Views: 0
Mar 2, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #11,365 of 16,011
Are there any HDMI ports that are more , uh, "superior" to use than others? The reason I ask is I was randomly scrolling through A16 settings and notice that HDMI 4, for example, has an option for "HDMI(4) IN PCM Direct" but only for that port. But from what I recall all of the ports should be the same specs-wise, right?
I am pretty sure they are all the same and it was just a decision by Smyth to add the "HDMI IN PCM Direct" option for one of the HDMI inputs only. This option is described in A16-firmware-1.90-26-May-2020.pdf. In fact it doesn't really add something to the input capabilities, it just let's PCM input skip the surround decoder board.

Mar 4, 2021 at 5:53 AM Post #11,366 of 16,011
I received an “update” email on February 28th from the French dealer (av-in.com) saying that he has still A16s to sell…and his web site now mentions “available immediately”.

Moreover, someone from HCFR is saying on March 3rd that the German dealer (for-tune.de) told him via his enquiry on their German web site : …”the AES version of the A16 is available. We have got our first AES demo unit since two weeks”…
At the same time James is telling the very same guy from HCFR about the AES A16 he ordered some time ago :
…I estimate 2 months at the most, but hopefully sooner. The APM boards are only arriving this week, so things went slower than expected…

You can draw your own conclusions from those quotes… because I am totally at a loss !

Mar 4, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #11,367 of 16,011
The APM boards are only arriving this week
Well, this looks like a very specific statement and it is in line with what I already thought, that they are/were waiting for new hardware supplies.
When was this written?

(I can think of explanations for the various available units, I don't see any contradictions there.)

Mar 4, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #11,368 of 16,011
Well, this looks like a very specific statement and it is in line with what I already thought, that they are/were waiting for new hardware supplies.
When was this written?

(I can think of explanations for the various available units, I don't see any contradictions there.)
when was this written :
post of 2nd March…we are going through a restocking and because there is some hardware changes the testing time will be longer
post of 3rd March…the APM boards are only arriving this week, so things went slower than expected

Mar 4, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #11,369 of 16,011
Question. Does the increased capability in going from 16 channel ATMOS to 24 channel make any difference if all you're doing is watching Netflix, and Amazon Prime ATMOS movies. I am of the impression that all their stuff is limited to 16 channel at best. I kind of want to know this b/c I really don't want to try to figure out how to capture the additional 8 channels in PRIRs unless I have program material to play on a 24 channel ATMOS set up.

Mar 4, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #11,370 of 16,011

Users who are viewing this thread

Back