Smyth Research Realiser A16
Nov 28, 2020 at 4:33 AM Post #10,861 of 15,986
In the interest of rectifying what was a waste of your life: the Z reviews Non Review VD-O.

Frankly I am ashamed of him as an American. He should ru. Along and go "Review" something else, or contribute to Society and post a Bleeding Best effort review.

Because I am not watching another video like that, EVER.

When I browse YouTube I always check if it's a Z-Review before I push the button.
When it's a Z-Review I check if I have a bottle of Valium handy. If I don't, I don't push the button.

Check any of his reviews, they not only give misinformation but are a mess, impossible to watch to the end and a complete waste of time brought by a guy who is confident he knows it all better than anyone else.

Nov 28, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #10,862 of 15,986
The ONLY thing I will agree with, or Handedly agree with z reviews in his Silly video is this:

I agree that the Realiser should cost 3200$ or less [than 4000USD, or Euro] ($2850+ shipping from Ireland in the EU and a distributor in the USA, and elsewhere) so that at least twice this many people could own the 24 channel A16.

The A16 is unquestionably worth close to if not just under $3,000 or euros if in the EU. Or your local currency, Choose your currency wisely

4000 is a tough sell of any hifi item. The Smyth team should work on the Accessibility of the realiser for their, the market. It is a great product, but people should be more aptly capable of obtaining the Realiser in the first place. It is worth Somethought like that.

For those on the fence. I would say the black Friday price is fair at maximum for a Realiser A16 kit.
For those reading, who are looking to purchase An A16,
The 24 ch. A16 is a good, indeed Impressive product.

24 channel is also much much more fun than 16 channel,

I will post MY personal, PROFESSIONAL THIRTY NINE and the Sixty-Seven Channel DOLBY ATMOS, TREATED, Professional Grade ATMOS MOVIE THEATRE measurements to the google Drive on Monday. Or Tuesday once I have cleaned them up.

Hopefully people TAKE ADVANTAGE of the BLACK FRIDAY pricing, and I hope my measurements go well, so that NEW BLACK FRIDAY BUYERS GET Some VERY GOOD ---
---24 channel Professional Movie THEATRE Atmos results.

I believe that my Professional Grade Atmos Movie Theatre measurements may help move MANY more realisers at Black Friday pricing. Which is why I am choosing to Donate them to the Google Drive when they are made. Photos to come on Monday.

I practiced last week and calibrated the movie theatre speakers, it was "trippy" and awesome: currently the director of the Theatre projection equipment and I know exactly what we are doing.

3200, is above the maximum one should pay for a 24 ch A16 in my opinion. Personally I think 2900 or 2950 is a happy medium.
To new A16 owners,
TAKE ADVANTAGE of the BLACK FRIDAY PRICING.

4000$ is too much for a consumer product that has not been totally polished yet. The realiser isn't polished yet, only if it were polished would i say it is worth so.ething like 3220 or 3400. Right now I would pay 2800, personally at the most.

I would not pay 4k for one. But at 20% off for anybody looking for a Realiser, with a 1 year warranty, I would hope you'll JUMP!

This is all with a grain of salt, meaning due to- without my ace in the hole Pro grade atmos captures. In the sweet spot of the BIG 39 and 67 or 69 channel movie Theatre.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 5:17 AM Post #10,863 of 15,986
By the way, I think that the lengthiness of my recent posts are Nearly as bad as z reviews video. ;\

I hope my measurements of REAL ATMOS THEATRES connvnce at least a few people reading
This [A16]-thread to pick up a Realiser now at what is the the fair asking price, Perchance, you can, while you have the opportunity.

Please jump for the Realiser at 20% off.

I am not affiliated with the Realiser or its distribution network. --I really believe that with good captures it is worth the asking price.

I do not think the A16 will be going o. Sale again, ever once I have posted the professional 85Ft wide Atmos captures to the public google drive.

Z reviews irks me. I will not allow work from his sort to Piss me off.

His 'VD-O' was beyond 111% messed up. To say nothing of Useless. Z reviews needs to screw his head a little bit straighter.

I would like to know who had the Sense to give THAT GUY their coveted Realiser. That was poor judgment and perhaps even sabotage. They should have done their job and used the product germainly, appropros.

Somebody that actually gave a damb probably wouldn't have given the realiser away that stupedly.

I am begrudgingly glad z reviews makes videos, but I laughed, as in "Rotflmao" at this one. Water right off of the back. An ocassional Idiocy should be appreciated for just that. Some of his videos are pretty cool... to be kind and even, somehow fair to him.

I wish he morw willingly Employed his brain for a Produxt
That clearly deserves a well, most meager of inner resources.

I will repeat this, the A16 is designed for anyone to easily use it. It is frustrating to see Z reviews glavant with a product that frankly he should not even be using,

If He doesn't even want to use it, he should have said so and saved us the '《VD-O' instead of flashed us with a useless azimuth adjustment just to show us what a tom-fooling kind if guy he can Be

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #10,864 of 15,986
By the way, I think that the lengthiness of my recent posts are Nearly as bad as z reviews video. ;\

I hope my measurements of REAL ATMOS THEATRES connvnce at least a few people reading
This A16 thread to pick up a Realiser now at what is the the fair asking price, Perchance, you can, while you have the opportunity.

Please jump for the Realiser at 20% off.

I am not affiliated with the Realiser or its distribution network. --I really believe that with good captures it is worth the asking price.

No, your recent post are informative, thanks for them.

But I hope no one jumps on their Black Friday deal, so they're left with the bunch of stock they can distribute to the rest of the Kickstarter backers and preorder customers who have been waiting for the goods they paid for over 4 years ago.
Which is nothing more than Smyth should have done in the first place if they had some kind of decency.

Nov 28, 2020 at 6:00 AM Post #10,865 of 15,986
I agree with you, but they should be able to make a profit too. Tough to make a profit selling realisers for about 1000$ for a team like theirs.

The Kickstarters are almost completely fulfilled. I waited 4 years and 7 months for mine. I believe at this point, the last few backers can wait as long as necessary ( like 3 or 4 more weeks?) for a 1000$ realiser. With the right captures, that are high quality what we are getting is a work of art and ingenuity.

The A16 project needs the critical mass of users, or at least captures.

It has minor flaws that need ironing out, but is totally worth every moment of rewarding Joy it can bring.
It is not often one can state that a product really is great, but the realiser is one of a kind and when working well is "poetry in motion." On the
Whole it's neat.

I hope the Professional Theatre captures are great! I will post pictures of the two ATMOS Theatres today that I have access to Capture on Monday: I will Go today for these photos to GENERATE INTEREST in the BLACK FRIDAY SALES!

The theatre i have access to isn't using DOLBY DMA to power the channels but rather uses Christie 2channel amplifiers for the 39 and 67 channel theatres.

Note that after the the LAST 5 or 10 kickstarter units are fulfilled, there will be no more cheap realisers on the market. I believe the Smyth team ceased shipments temporarily because the kickstarter sales should not undermine the black Friday sales. Frankly, it is the correct business choice.

I see nothing wrong with them making Realiser available to paying customers, they have delivered all but 5 or 10 kickstarter units Now, the Smyth Team do need to be treated fairly by the consumer too. They need to turn a profit.

I was just about backer 300, and they have shipped nearly all the units. I wonder if they shouldn't get some slack. Maybe, maybe not, I would agree that'd be in the eye of the beholder.

But I do want them to have the funding to bring the realiser exchange online as it should be. By the Holiday break, would be good-great. If they can manage it as Stephen emailed recently.

Attachments

• 20201120_224423.jpg
    20201120_224423.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 7:26 AM Post #10,866 of 15,986
I can't agree with that line of thought at all.

First of all, I didn't pay $1000, I paid $1812. Since I live in Europe and my unit will ship about 5 years late, late enough to have a complete Brexit, that will add 31% to the cost for VAT and import. So that's $2373. So I think I certainly qualify for what you call a "paying customer".
And unlike Kickstarter backer I didn't take a gamble, I paid for a product that should have been delivered and was promised to be delivered long ago.

Second, in your line of thought they should sell at higher prices first to turn a profit?
a) Following that line of thought, since I pay about 3 times what a Kickstarter backer does I should have gotten my unit before them.
b) Smyth set preorder and Kickstarter prices, good business practice would have been to make those profitable in the first place.
c) Not delivering to customers who have already apid long time ago and serving new customers first is about the worst business practice I have heard of.

Third, as I calculate there are 41 Kicksarters left. Seen they have shipped about 10 units in the last three months that's another year before they will even think about shipping preorders. By that time there will be another Black friday, so another reason not to ship and during that whole time they will merrily ship new units at $4000.
So don't tell me Smyth needs to be treated fairly by the consumer while they are simply pissing on their preorder customers.

And since we are now 4 years later their product is outdated.
In the setup I am going to use it I have 4 sources, 3 of them which fully use HDMI 2.1 going to two screens, fully 2.1 compatible as well.
So using the Realsiser like an AV receiver and going from there to the screens is not an option, I lose all HDMI 2.1 functionality.
Since I have 4 sources and each screen only has 4 inputs, using eArc to connect to the Realiser is not an option as well.
So I can only hope for HDMI 2.1 splitters to come out.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #10,868 of 15,986
Well, I think your opinions are Valuable. Hopefully they will be able to ship soon. To the point, I know someone else in the same boat that wants his A16. Within the next month or two ...No idea why shipping all the units could haven taken so long. There must be at least 30 to 75 pre orders like yours, so there must be under 100 units left in total before they've caught up with everything.

You would think they would get faster with time. I too think they Could do a bit more a little bit faster. More quickly

But they have made the choices as they've seen fit. I do not know all the particulars or how else to parse it.

...I too agree that hdmi 2.1 would be nice, and would be the least that could be done for the pre-order unit, as an upgrade in spite of the Delay. Not that 2.0 is too bad, still get hDr hi10
Any tv under 1000$ right now still doesn't include hdmi 2.1, I spent 650 on my 55" hi sense H9G, for instance and enjoy it. [Came out in August]

I do not intend to abuse your good-nature, but have a feeling that when you get your realiser you are not going to let it (this is such a device) go for 1800$. They're well constructed and pretty Decent units. Things probably will change when, If you have yours in hand.

Ps, I am cheap and do not want a bigger 4k tv than 55 anyway, for anyone scratching their heads

One other thing, hopefully one D.U.M.B youtube video by an uninitiated wanna bee Realiser pundit. Wgo didn't demo or actually review the unit doesn't ruin the sales of the realiser that is fairly stated, a good product.

The smyths should feel annoyed by such a horrible video.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #10,872 of 15,986
@Andrew Seeley: (Just in case you didn't know.) Not all kickstarter backer numbers are used (because numbers were not re-used after cancelled orders). That's why the highest backer number is larger than the total amount of backers. And that is why it is difficult for us to know how many are left. Pre-order clients generally don't know their number. (I estimate I am somewhere halfway - so around #140 - based on the date I ordered.)

Nov 28, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #10,873 of 15,986
Try out both and gives your early impressions? :gs1000smile:
My inexperience in one relates to my economic circumstances, the other involves personal choice.

Nov 28, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #10,874 of 15,986
Spend 1 hour with the A16 Remote and
Watch 25 minutes of video and your are ready to fully understand the USE-age of a 24 channel Dolby Atmos Realiser.

I expect more from People Using A Platform that was designed to HELP Each Other grow and understand-
-most anything that you want to find or search For.

Certainly, Z reviews Realiser "VD-O" had NO, NOT educative value ,and some would call it: becoming of ..disgrace. An embarrassment of the "Reviewer."

I like do not mind his personal style, I don't appreciate his total lack of Professional candor.
I think he's quickly Becoming a ridiculous figure. 45 minutes and next to nothing for my time from the video. Absurd.

We should make videos ourselves of the realiser. And honestly, we should also tell people to pay 3000$, not 4000$ for it.

4k is too much.

At $3,000, or less the Realiser is a blessing. At 4000 dollars it becomes something of a burden for the user. It is too expensive, even if it is rewarding, I. This owners opinion.

If you got a 24 ch. A16 for For 1000$, you have been blessed with a brilliant article of well... Creativity.
You didn't expect a serious review, did you? The guy's target audience is the uneducated and the unmonied who just want to plug in and have it work. This is not their product, and his opinion will not in any way affect Smyth's target market, which is after all a tiny niche of ultra dedicated, borderline fanatical audiophiles. So no harm, no foul.

Nov 28, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #10,875 of 15,986
4000 is a tough sell of any hifi item
It is, but (1) there's nothing at all like the Realiser on the market and (2) a comparable high-end home cinema processor like the Monoprice HTP-1 (also uses MDS HDMI and DSP boards), Emotiva RMC-1 or Arcam cost at least as much. If/when the A16 gets Dirac and works as a full featured home cinema processor it'll be an absolute steal at the current price, the closest contender to the model with AES in/out is the JBL SDP-55 at US$6000. The A16 is clearly aimed at the enthusiast and pro market, and unless the Smyths build a setup wizard with step by step onscreen instructions to take measurements, it'll certainly stay that way.

You really can't compare the price of the A16 with mass market devices from Denon, Marantz, Pioneer or Yamaha, who sell tens of thousands of devices, which much of the development cost spread over their entire range. I also wish the A16 was cheaper, but I think that that's not a sustainable proposition for the Smyths while the can only sell hundreds, not thousands of Realisers.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back