Smyth Research Realiser A16
Sep 17, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #10,216 of 15,989
Can the single speaker measurement method be used to create a virtual 7.1 with the A8?
Yes, I've done this myself. It's not as effective as capturing a true array, but still waaaaaay better than most virtualised (generic HRTF) solutions. From the A8 manual:

In this method, a single real speaker is used to generate eight virtual speakers at regular spacings. The procedure begins with the listener looking directly at the speaker (0° or 12 o’clock) for the first sweep, then rotating clockwise to +30° (1 o’clock) for the next sweep, and so on through twelve measurements, one for each 30° increment or one for each hour on the clock. One might use a low-back rotating office chair to facilitate moving among the positions. The resulting virtual speakers will be the following, at the positions given:

Left -30°
Centre 0°
Right +30°
Left surround -90°
Right surround +90°
Left back -150°
Right back +150°
“Subwoofer” 180°

Note that this method does not replicate the room acoustic exactly, because the room walls effectively rotate with the speaker as the listener turns in his chair. This may or may not be advantageous, depending on the room.

To capture the room acoustic as it is, the listener would place the speaker in the front centre of the room, initiate the first sweep, and then move the speaker counterclockwise to -30° or 11 o’clock, do the second sweep, then move the speaker to -60° or 10 o’clock, and so on. For the entire procedure the listener would face forward in a stationary chair.

In a well-behaved room, moving the speaker may give the most realistic result. In a room where some speaker positions are acoustically favorable and some are not, the user might create a better result than the real room by placing the single speaker in the best position and replicating the sound of that speaker in that position to all positions by rotating in the chair.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #10,217 of 15,989
Yes, I've done this myself. It's not as effective as capturing a true array, but still waaaaaay better than most virtualised (generic HRTF) solutions. From the A8 manual:
Well... That's encouraging. Maybe I will try the A8 first.. now if only I could find one for sale. Lol

Sep 17, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #10,218 of 15,989
Well... That's encouraging. Maybe I will try the A8 first.. now if only I could find one for sale. Lol

My expectation is that several A8 owners decided to upgrade to the A16 through the Kicstarter and possibly the pre-orders. Unfortunately, the slow delivery will therefore have impacted the availability of secondhand A8s, as owners wait for their A16s.

Sep 17, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #10,219 of 15,989
If there is anyone in Pennsylvania or tri-state area that has and a Realiser that would be willing to demo it for me... please PM me.

Sep 17, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #10,220 of 15,989
Sep 17, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #10,221 of 15,989
As far as I can see this is professional Atmos installation for Cinema and far too large for home listening.
Atmos for Cinemas is not directly compatible to Atmos at home. So I think they would not be able to integrate the Realiser or play the Async Files that would be needed in a studio.

And the room is way too large, it wouldn't sound good if you create a PRIR there and listen to it in your small home. The "recording room" and the listening room should roughly be in the same size class otherwise you can't convince your brain. It would at least sound too echoey.
There were a bunch of people who made A8 PRIRs in a cinema (Egyptian in LA?) and afaik they all say it sounds too echoey and you can't really listen to it at home.

If you contact them you should ask if they also got an Atmos at home mixing room.

Sep 17, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #10,222 of 15,989
Other than the few who were able to get a PRIR at AIX. Has there been a successful attempt to book studio time in a professional Dolby Atmos recording/dubbing studio?
I have a cousin who mixes Movies and TV shows and whatnot for a living in NYC. (I recall back how surprised I was when Opollo 13 won the oscar for sound and hearing his name included in the team receiving an oscar. He has quite a few other Oscars from before and after that plus other awards in sound mixing.) I have lost touch with him. But I intend to hit him up when I receive my A16 to ask to make measurements in a studio he deems appropriate. Sadly, who TF knows when that will be! ...grumble grumble grumble ...

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #10,223 of 15,989
Other than the few who were able to get a PRIR at AIX. Has there been a successful attempt to book studio time in a professional Dolby Atmos recording/dubbing studio?

After all... Isn't that one if the main advertising points of the Realiser. If you can't get the studio time. What's the point? Yes I want a PRIR... But I'd want it done in the best possible environment. My listening space at home is far far from ideal... and my current speakers may not be the sound signature I necessarily want to have replicated... Not to mention I have no idea how I would be able to capture the height channels of Atmos.
What about the German studio MSM in Munich :
- In 2012, MSM was already doing demos of the Realiser A8 (with the representative for Germany at the time being "Audio Import GmbH").
https://www.yumpu.com/de/document/read/10939982/audio-import-seminar
Edit : there were individual measurements of all participants done on site during the seminar !!!
Anyone here, owning an A8, having any experience with them ??? Because MSM is still existing.
- Moreover on Smyth Research facebook website (20th May 2016), I can read :
https://www.facebook.com/pg/SmythResearch/posts/
…would you like to have your A16 Realiser personalised in one of Europe's top Dolby Atmos studios? Stefan Bock from the High-end production company MSM Studio Group has offered their services to take your measurements with the upcoming A16 Realiser to give you one of the best Atmos experiences available today…
Here you have Smyth & Co. promoting MSM !

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #10,224 of 15,989
Acting on what sander99 suggested a few days back... Urgent time-critical request:

Is there any backer who received their A16 that lives on Long Island or the NY Tri-State area?

Assuming that, would you be willing, for a fee, to drive it and the supplied mics (& tracker needed too?) out to my home (in Eatons Neck, NY, just under 50 miles from the Midtown tunnel on Long Island)?

Reason being my house is under contract. I will not get my A16 preorder delivered any time soon. And I am moving to an apartment and will not be able to run my monster 7.2.4 system. So with your generosity this will allow me to make all necessary measurements of thst 7.2.4 sound system before I have to move out of the home in a few weeks (and I'm assuming I'll be able to download the generated files from your A16 and upload it to mine at a later date).

The first hope is someone nearby got it. The second hope is that person reads this thread frequently to see this. The third hope is you take pity on me and are willing to make the effort to help me out. I'm happy to pay you for your time. Thanx in advance to anyone that can help! (But I hold little hope. :sweat: )

Sep 17, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #10,225 of 15,989
As far as I can see this is professional Atmos installation for Cinema and far too large for home listening.
Atmos for Cinemas is not directly compatible to Atmos at home. So I think they would not be able to integrate the Realiser or play the Async Files that would be needed in a studio.

It's more akin to a dubbing stage/mixing theatre than a cinema auditorium; no way it's going to sound as lively as your average theatre.

The theatre is built to render 64 channels of audio through their speaker systems. It could certainly be configured to route the 16 inputs from the realizer to the channels of your choosing. No doubt this is what they do when rendering 5.1, 7.1, etc.

Integrating the Realiser, at this point, means having a 16 channel ADC to play the measurement signals through. Who knows if this theatre has such an interface... you'd have to ask them. But this is a challenge you'd encounter wherever you decided to get measured (unless you brought our own 16 channel i/o).

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #10,226 of 15,989
It's more akin to a dubbing stage/mixing theatre than a cinema auditorium; no way it's going to sound as lively as your average theatre.

The theatre is built to render 64 channels of audio through their speaker systems. It could certainly be configured to route the 16 inputs from the realizer to the channels of your choosing. No doubt this is what they do when rendering 5.1, 7.1, etc.

Integrating the Realiser, at this point, means having a 16 channel ADC to pl ntegrating the Realiser, at this point, means having a 16 channel ADC to play the measurement signals through. ay the measurement signals through. Who knows if this theatre has such an interface... you'd have to ask them. But this is a challenge you'd encounter wherever you decided to get measured (unless you brought our own 16 channel i/o).

Integrating the Realiser, at this point, means having a 16 channel ADC to play the measurement signals through. Who knows if this theatre has such an interface... you'd have to ask them. But this is a challenge you'd encounter wherever you decided to get measured (unless you brought our own 16 channel i/o).
"Integrating the Realiser, at this point, means having a 16 channel ADC to play the measurement signals through"

Isn't it about time Smyth released a digital recording of the signals required to create a PRIR. I don't think it's a biggie for them to do. I know a lot of people have argued that there are infinite permutations and that Smyth is not able to cover them all which is why it's taking so long and doing nothing. I say bull-pucky to that.

How about they just release a 5.1 a 7.1, a stereo, a 16 channel atmos, and 8 or 12 pairs of speakers which constitute the 16-24 channel lay out. If necessary someone could do 12 separate PRIRs and combine them into a room, or 8 pairs or 9, or 4 or 2 or whatever strikes their fancy. Use the naming system which is common to Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro 3D. There is one if you look in the manual, so you don't need three different naming schema to make virtual speakers which will work in your format of choice (it could even be done as 24 separate single channels). And this will greatly facilitate anyone with two speakers, and sturdy, height adjustable speaker stands in their effort to get a good PRIR. I could do 24 channels tomorrow with my LS-50s if I had the Realiser back. (It made it to Smyth yesterday, btw.)

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #10,229 of 15,989
Sep 17, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #10,230 of 15,989
And this will greatly facilitate anyone with two speakers, and sturdy, height adjustable speaker stands in their effort to get a good PRIR. I could do 24 channels tomorrow with my LS-50s if I had the Realiser back
What type of speaker stands would you use for the ceiling channels?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back