Smyth Research Realiser A16
Aug 7, 2020 at 12:26 AM Post #9,767 of 16,011
thanks dsperber for the help, very good person. and thanks esimms86 for the tips :). i'm still a newb in configuring A16, even though i have A8, not good at configuring it. i'm getting old :frowning2:. and i dont have any resource in my place.

Aug 7, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #9,768 of 16,011
Can anyone recommend a headphone that is really, really comfortable? I have tried many < $1000 headphones and currently stuck with the T 1 which doesn't really get annoying at all. Because of the angled drivers though, I have to put it on my head the same way as when I did the HPEQ, otherwise the center localisation is a bit off. I also have the HD 800 but it gets hot and painful after 20 minutes, which is strange because most people think this is one of the most comfortable headphones ever. I don't really want to spend more than $1000 because the A16 flattens the headphone anyway.

Aug 7, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #9,770 of 16,011
For those that got the upgrade, did the serial number of your A-16 change? I think Smyth sent me someone else's A-16.

I’m not at home to look right now, but to the best of my recollection mine is exactly the same serial number as when I sent it in.

Aug 7, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #9,774 of 16,011
For those that got the upgrade, did the serial number of your A-16 change? I think Smyth sent me someone else's A-16.
Do you mean that something in the last 6 digits changed, the 'xxxxxx' part from the following description (from kickstarter update 59):
Realisers that incorporate the previous HSR41Q/APM89L hardware have used serial number formats A162U1901#xxxxxx for 2U and A16HS1901#xxxxxx for headstand form factors respectively. Realisers incorporating the new HSR41T/APM110 hardware will use the serial number format A162U2001#xxxxxx and A16HS2001#xxxxxx to signify the new configuration.

Aug 8, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #9,775 of 16,011
Why do you ask?
You asked about serial numbers, yet for some bizarre reason, you appear to think that those are secrets.

The changed serial number formats sander99 posted about are one obvious reason (although I'm not sure if the upgraded units get are given a new number at all, or what the number of units with only a one card upgrade would look like), the simple fact that, in case that change is not what you're looking for, someone might recognize his serial number would be the second reason.

And the third, not so obvious reason is that James was just about to send me someone else's A16, until I pointed out to him that I found it unlikely that mine would be upgraded already. (There would have been lots of opportunities to catch that mixup before it was shipped, but this version makes for a better anecdote).

Aug 8, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #9,776 of 16,011
I didn’t receive any mail with UPS tracking number. I don’t know how long it generally takes between the « your unit is ready for shipping » email and the actual shipping...
I hope mine was not sent to someone else ! 😅

Aug 8, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #9,777 of 16,011
I didn’t receive any mail with UPS tracking number. I don’t know how long it generally takes between the « your unit is ready for shipping » email and the actual shipping...
I hope mine was not sent to someone else ! 😅

I think James shipped mine out the day after he sent the ready to ship email. I got sent tracking info at that time and he actually shipped it out before he even invoiced me for the shipping charge.

Aug 8, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #9,778 of 16,011
I think James shipped mine out the day after he sent the ready to ship email. I got sent tracking info at that time and he actually shipped it out before he even invoiced me for the shipping charge.
I doubt he shipped it without sending me the tracking number. I’m out of town in Paris since Wednesday but coming back home tomorrow so I will see if ever I have a notice from UPS in my mailbox in case James just forgot to send me the tracking number...

Aug 8, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #9,779 of 16,011
Do you mean that something in the last 6 digits changed, the 'xxxxxx' part from the following description (from kickstarter update 59):

Yes, the XXXXXX part changed. I'm guessing they ended up replacing my unit instead of repairing it. However, they billed me for the upgrade on the justification that they were able to repair the old unit. So I need to get to the bottom of it. I emailed Stephen, but no response yet.

You asked about serial numbers, yet for some bizarre reason, you appear to think that those are secrets.
And the third, not so obvious reason is that James was just about to send me someone else's A16, until I pointed out to him that I found it unlikely that mine would be upgraded already.

My phone number is not secret, but I'm not posting that to the internet either.

I appreciate your trying to help, but the last thing I need is some other A-16 user coming at me saying I have their unit. Anyone who has issues should go thru Smyth, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back