Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jul 10, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #9,422 of 15,986
As a pre-order customer I will be waiting for a while yet until I receive my A16. As there has been hardware and firmware updates since the early models were sent I would like to thank all the people who have received the early versions of the A16, who have had to endure the sending back for the hardware upgrades and who have had to work the way through the software updates and crashes. I appreciate the stress that you have had to endure with these problems. Without your posts the rest of us who are still waiting would never know that is happening. Although I would have liked to have had my A16 by now I am glad it has been delayed so the problems can be sorted before I receive my upgraded A16. Again thanks to you all who have their A16's for keeping us who are still waiting informed of the A16 progress.

Jul 11, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #9,423 of 15,986
Mine is in the US and seems to have departed Philadelphia today with no issues (best I can tell) and they never had me fill out any forms. I did need to provide them with my SSN again like last time since I don’t have a tax ID. They did ask me when I was providing that info if the shipment had any wood in it though.
I love how several of us have all shipped and received our Realisers between the UK and US multiple times, and there is zero consistency in what information UPS requests from each of us each time.

Jul 11, 2020 at 5:35 AM Post #9,424 of 15,986
Has anyone else had a problem where the preset information (user A listening room and HPEQ) keeps reverting to some other choices? I just cant get my choices to 'stick' for more than a few days. I cant tell if the choices change when I make some other change somewhere else
Or have I missed some obscure setting somewhere?
I only noticed this recently, when trying to set the A16 up for my wife to use

Jul 11, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #9,425 of 15,986
Has anyone else had a problem where the preset information (user A listening room and HPEQ) keeps reverting to some other choices? I just cant get my choices to 'stick' for more than a few days. I cant tell if the choices change when I make some other change somewhere else
Or have I missed some obscure setting somewhere?
I only noticed this recently, when trying to set the A16 up for my wife to use
I seem to remember in the manual that if some PRIR or settings cause issues, the A16 would reload some default stuff. But if you can use yours several times and then something changes, maybe it's just one room that causes problems(like the Atmos room?), so you only get a reset when you play something that calls for it, but when using the PCM one, all is fine? Or vice versa.
Or indeed if you keep changing some settings, maybe it's something you do. The way to diagnostic that is simple, stop changing stuff for a few days :) or perhaps the unit crashes for ... Reasons, and that only happens once in a while?
No other idea.

Jul 11, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #9,426 of 15,986
I love how several of us have all shipped and received our Realisers between the UK and US multiple times, and there is zero consistency in what information UPS requests from each of us each time.

I know. It doesn’t make any sense at all. Once mine hit Philly I got the email from UPS that I was expecting about needing a tax ID number. Then for the first time ever with a shipment I was asked to verify if the contents of the shipment contained any wood lol.

Looks like through all of that, it’s made it to Louisville and should still be here on Monday, fingers crossed.

Jul 11, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #9,427 of 15,986
Q1: I have a pair of the 800S headphones. If the new 24 channel output is going to use outputs "A" & "B" what type of headphone cable will be required?. Will it be the same configuration as the balanced headphone cable shown here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...al-3d-audio-headphone-processor/posts/1952155

Balanced Connection Type 2x6.35mm TRS (Tip & Ring only) straight jacks.

If there is a different configuration from the one above, can anyone tell me the correct configuration will be, so I am able order the correct cable.

Q2: Will this do away with the balanced output now?.
Thanks Johnew

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #9,429 of 15,986
Q1: I have a pair of the 800S headphones. If the new 24 channel output is going to use outputs "A" & "B" what type of headphone cable will be required?. Will it be the same configuration as the balanced headphone cable shown here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...al-3d-audio-headphone-processor/posts/1952155

Balanced Connection Type 2x6.35mm TRS (Tip & Ring only) straight jacks.

If there is a different configuration from the one above, can anyone tell me the correct configuration will be, so I am able order the correct cable.

Q2: Will this do away with the balanced output now?.
Thanks Johnew
Presently the A16 (16/24 ch) does not support balanced output.... so you just need to use the cable that came with the 800s ( single ended ) .... the A16 (24ch) has an option where it will output either 24 ch or 16 ch...
while opted to output 24 ch is only available on the A output as the A16 uses both output chips in that mode.... for when you would want to output to two different headphones you will need to set the option to 16 ch....
the option to turn on the 24 ch is at the bottom of the misc settings page ( remote controller - Menu-Settings-System-Misc settings -SVS 24ch-ADJ+-Enter)

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #9,431 of 15,986
On the subject of Balanced Cables and the A16.... if you have a selection of Headphones where you have them cabled for balanced and don't want to remove the cables or use adapters to go from balanced to single ended then I can suggest a different approach... That would be to get the new Topping A90 balanced Head Phone Amp and pair it with the A16.. it has amazing specs, good output power and XLR/RCA inputs so you could pair it with the A16 via the RCA jacks on the back of the A16 and use the XLR inputs for pairing with your other balanced sources... Like the Topping D90 DAC as an example... or if you wanted you can also pair the D90 with the A16 and output that to the A90 balanced out... it makes having balanced headphones much nicer

if you want to explore the specs of the A90 Amp... https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...topping-a90-headphone-amplifier-review.13592/

and the DAC D90 https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/topping-d90-balanced-usb-dac-review.10519/

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #9,432 of 15,986
Presently the A16 (16/24 ch) does not support balanced output.... so you just need to use the cable that came with the 800s ( single ended ) .... the A16 (24ch) has an option where it will output either 24 ch or 16 ch...
while opted to output 24 ch is only available on the A output as the A16 uses both output chips in that mode.... for when you would want to output to two different headphones you will need to set the option to 16 ch....
the option to turn on the 24 ch is at the bottom of the misc settings page ( remote controller - Menu-Settings-System-Misc settings -SVS 24ch-ADJ+-Enter)
Is there any native 24ch Atmos material or is it just upmixed 16 channel stuff?

Jul 11, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #9,434 of 15,986
I got the following email from Realiser.in (Smyth Realiser dealer in India) describing the new features of the latest hardware version of the Smyth Realiser A16.

https://shoutout.wix.com/so/dbNCyu0tn#/main
The content on that webpage is actually pretty much a copy of the March update.
James told me a bit more than two weeks ago that "an update will be posted shortly", since the notion of time is very flexible at Smyth Research, "shortly" can mean one or two months or maybe longer... However, they have been very busy retrofitting the units of those who requested an upgrade to the newest boards. James mentioned that KS units will start being shipped out again once all the retrofitting is complete. I have the feeling that most of the users here who were expecting it received their shipping notice, so hopefully it will soon be Game on again for KS backers.
James, i'll be on holidays in a week, now would be a great timing ! :grin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back