Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jul 8, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #9,391 of 15,986
Jul 8, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #9,392 of 15,986
Can anyone let me know what are the first basic tests I need to do on a new realiser A16 to see if all is good, Setup will take days for me to get to.
Hey Thomas... I can give you the minimum check out as its a pretty complex unit when you get into the menus and what they do... and remember, not all of the capability is going to be available yet as they continue to add new options via the firmware...

As a minimum start...
1) open the box and you will find a smaller box with the accessories in it... and under that small box is the A16 unit (Head Stand Version), take the A16 unit out and set it on a table...
2) Take the remote controller and make sure it has the batteries in place...
3) On the A16 unit plug in the power adapter cable and the other end into an AC outlet... on the front you will see a small red light , thats standby mode
4) Take the remote controller and hit the power button ( upper left) and now the small red light will turn green and the screen will turn on and sit back as it boots up...
5) After the boot up the screen will show the main listening room with all of the speakers high lighted... the amount of speakers will depend on how many are setup in that particular room.
6) Take the remote controller and turn the A16 volume down to say 40, the display will count down the volume.. the volume button is on the left side about center on the remote ( blue button)... now on the A16 unit notice the very small gain switch just to the right side of the volume knob and slide it all the way to the left (low gain)... now, plug in a set of headphones to the left input (A)
7) Put the headphones on and now find the " Test " button on the remote controller... Press the Test button and you should hear a test song faintly on the headphones... now take the remote controller and adjust the volume button up until you get a good volume from the headphones while the Test Song is playing back... The A16 is now playing the Test Song for the amount of speakers being shown on the display... I'm pretty sure they are shipping the units now with the Atmos room setup of 15.1.8 speakers... so while the Test Song is playing its now playing back through 16 channels to your headphones... and now your saying ... he wrote 15.1.8 (24 ch) but he wrote output is 16 ch... and now we need to change a setting... so in order to get 24 ch on the display and turn all those 24 speakers on then do this...
1) on the remote controller, hit the Test button to turn off the Test Song
2) on the remote controller, hit the menu button and navigate to the Settings page and hit the remote controller enter button... (in the middle of the remote)
3) now navigate to the System page and hit the remote controller enter button
4) now navigate to the misc setting page and hit the remote controller enter button
5) now navigate all the way to the bottom and you will see " SVS 24ch " once you land on that now on the remote controller hit the " ADJ + " key on the remote
6) the A16 will now exit out of the menu pages and land back out to the display of the 15.1.8 room and on the left side of the screen you will see it now says SVS 24 ch where as before it said SVS 16 ch
7) now on the Remote Controller hit the Test Button with your headphones on adjust the volume to your liking and you are now listening to full 15.1.8 Atmos with all 24 speakers in playback....
8) to test the effectiveness of the processing now you can take the remote and solo the speakers by using the solo buttons at the top of the remote controller... and just hit the ALL button to get them all back at once....
This should get you to where you know its all working for the outputs.... it will take days and days to work through the setting up of your headphones and going through all of the settings to fine tune it all...
Two items to remember... in 24 ch mode there is no output for user B... for user A and user B at the same time you need to go back into the settings and turn of the SVS 24 mode... and last but not least... if you need to get back to the Speaker Room display you just hit the PA button on the remote controller....

Jul 8, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #9,393 of 15,986
Hey Thomas... I can give you the minimum check out as its a pretty complex unit when you get into the menus and what they do... and remember, not all of the capability is going to be available yet as they continue to add new options via the firmware...

As a minimum start...
1) open the box and you will find a smaller box with the accessories in it... and under that small box is the A16 unit (Head Stand Version), take the A16 unit out and set it on a table...
2) Take the remote controller and make sure it has the batteries in place...
3) On the A16 unit plug in the power adapter cable and the other end into an AC outlet... on the front you will see a small red light , thats standby mode
4) Take the remote controller and hit the power button ( upper left) and now the small red light will turn green and the screen will turn on and sit back as it boots up...
5) After the boot up the screen will show the main listening room with all of the speakers high lighted... the amount of speakers will depend on how many are setup in that particular room.
6) Take the remote controller and turn the A16 volume down to say 40, the display will count down the volume.. the volume button is on the left side about center on the remote ( blue button)... now on the A16 unit notice the very small gain switch just to the right side of the volume knob and slide it all the way to the left (low gain)... now, plug in a set of headphones to the left input (A)
7) Put the headphones on and now find the " Test " button on the remote controller... Press the Test button and you should hear a test song faintly on the headphones... now take the remote controller and adjust the volume button up until you get a good volume from the headphones while the Test Song is playing back... The A16 is now playing the Test Song for the amount of speakers being shown on the display... I'm pretty sure they are shipping the units now with the Atmos room setup of 15.1.8 speakers... so while the Test Song is playing its now playing back through 16 channels to your headphones... and now your saying ... he wrote 15.1.8 (24 ch) but he wrote output is 16 ch... and now we need to change a setting... so in order to get 24 ch on the display and turn all those 24 speakers on then do this...
1) on the remote controller, hit the Test button to turn off the Test Song
2) on the remote controller, hit the menu button and navigate to the Settings page and hit the remote controller enter button... (in the middle of the remote)
3) now navigate to the System page and hit the remote controller enter button
4) now navigate to the misc setting page and hit the remote controller enter button
5) now navigate all the way to the bottom and you will see " SVS 24ch " once you land on that now on the remote controller hit the " ADJ + " key on the remote
6) the A16 will now exit out of the menu pages and land back out to the display of the 15.1.8 room and on the left side of the screen you will see it now says SVS 24 ch where as before it said SVS 16 ch
7) now on the Remote Controller hit the Test Button with your headphones on adjust the volume to your liking and you are now listening to full 15.1.8 Atmos with all 24 speakers in playback....
8) to test the effectiveness of the processing now you can take the remote and solo the speakers by using the solo buttons at the top of the remote controller... and just hit the ALL button to get them all back at once....
This should get you to where you know its all working for the outputs.... it will take days and days to work through the setting up of your headphones and going through all of the settings to fine tune it all...
Two items to remember... in 24 ch mode there is no output for user B... for user A and user B at the same time you need to go back into the settings and turn of the SVS 24 mode... and last but not least... if you need to get back to the Speaker Room display you just hit the PA button on the remote controller....
Thank you so much Dixter. This is invaluable .

Jul 8, 2020 at 10:31 PM Post #9,394 of 15,986
Thank you so much Dixter. This is invaluable .
No problem... I'm sure your going to really really like the A16.... also wanted to point out that you do not have to go full hookup mode while you are setting up your unit.... you can do the headphone setup without hooking up any music/video sources... I set all of my settings up while the unit was sitting on my kitchen counter... it was easier to be at eye level during that phase of the setup... and as a quick and easy music source for checking out your settings you just need a playback device plugged into the Stereo Jacks at the top of the A16... just use the Line Out of the play back source...

Jul 9, 2020 at 3:54 AM Post #9,395 of 15,986
No problem... I'm sure your going to really really like the A16.... also wanted to point out that you do not have to go full hookup mode while you are setting up your unit.... you can do the headphone setup without hooking up any music/video sources... I set all of my settings up while the unit was sitting on my kitchen counter... it was easier to be at eye level during that phase of the setup... and as a quick and easy music source for checking out your settings you just need a playback device plugged into the Stereo Jacks at the top of the A16... just use the Line Out of the play back source...
I posted a translation of your excellent summarized "how to..." on HCFR with a link to this page.

Thank you !

Jul 9, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #9,396 of 15,986
He hasn’t invoiced me yet so I don’t know the cost, but I got an alert from UPS that the shipment has been created by James for my A16’s return trip to me.

Jul 9, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #9,397 of 15,986
Another question , I am primarily going to run the realiser on my Windows 10 workstation , and usb will strip away Atmos. My monitor is connected via display port but I have an hdmi our from my graphics card too , will I get audio out from hdmi while the video is going to display port? As I won’t be using the video out from the realiser .

Jul 9, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #9,398 of 15,986
Another question , I am primarily going to run the realiser on my Windows 10 workstation , and usb will strip away Atmos. My monitor is connected via display port but I have an hdmi our from my graphics card too , will I get audio out from hdmi while the video is going to display port? As I won’t be using the video out from the realiser .

I believe you can set it up that way. You can setup the DisplayPort connection as the primary display and the HDMI our to a secondary display and send the sound to the secondary display which would be an HDMI cable running to your A16.

Jul 9, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #9,400 of 15,986
Same for me guys! Our A16 are on their way back home!

Looks like mine has been picked up by UPS. No delivery date yet though and no invoice from James so I’m not really sure how much this is going to cost me lol. At least they took care of all of the legwork for the return trip.

Jul 9, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #9,401 of 15,986
Looks like mine has been picked up by UPS. No delivery date yet though and no invoice from James so I’m not really sure how much this is going to cost me lol. At least they took care of all of the legwork for the return trip.
Yup, happy that James looking after us for that! I don t think it will be dearer than our own fee as they have a commercial account with UPS etc..Just wondering if we will need to pay for import fee at custom again as they are considered as return from repair and maintenance item?

Jul 9, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #9,402 of 15,986
Yup, happy that James looking after us for that! I don t think it will be dearer than our own fee as they have a commercial account with UPS etc..Just wondering if we will need to pay for import fee at custom again as they are considered as return from repair and maintenance item?

I’m not sure about paying anything when it goes through US Customs this time, but my recollection from last year when it was first shipped to me was that it wasn’t much money. I believe it was under $40 which is nothing compared to what it cost for the trip into the UK.

Jul 9, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #9,404 of 15,986
40$ as import fee....you are really lucky

That’s what it was last August, but there’s been so much of a mess with us adding tariffs to imported goods I’m not sure if that’s still the case.

Jul 9, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #9,405 of 15,986
Besides @Dixter’s post #9,392, there’s also @esimms86’s post #8,241 that deals with a) preparation before receipt of your A16 and b) getting started after having your A16 in hand.

By putting together, the two posts offer a practical beginners’ guide for managing a quite sophisticated Realiser A16.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back