Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jun 27, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #9,257 of 15,986
So how would this work? I put in the Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K in my TV and then what?
I can‘t connect the Realizer to a PC via HDMI and then start Tidal on the PC and listen to Dolby Atmos via the A16?

I plan on connecting the Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K to an HDMI port on the Realiser, then connect the HDMI out port from the Realsier to a TV. Hopefully, the Tidal app running on the Fire Stick will output Dolby Atmos Music to the Realiser.

If you'd prefer running Tidal on your PC and using the PC as your source (via HDMI), this should work as well. However, I was not able output Dolby Music from a Windows 10 PC running Tidal. The best I could do with my existing hardware was output PCM from the PC. The process of installing/configuring Dolby Access, troubleshooting, and uninstalling/reinstalling drivers was not a smooth process (see screenshot below), and in the end, I was only able to listen for a few minutes before the audio failed all together.

"HDMI !" Error Message
Error_Msg.PNG

Others with newer PC hardware and cables will likely have a better experience. But I found the process much more complicated than I would have liked. Now I remember why I'm not a big fan of multi-channel audio. What I've discovered in the past week is navigating the waters of Dolby Atmos streaming, for Movies and Music, can be quite a challenging proposition.

Jun 27, 2020 at 11:46 PM Post #9,258 of 15,986
Tidal did NOT output Atmos from their app on Apple TV 4K. It was a limitation of the app, not the Apple TV. According to the article posted above, they are adding support for outputting Atmos now. As soon as I get my A-16 back, I'll confirm if it works yet.
I can confirm that Tidal is delivering 7.1 atmos music via the Apple TV 4k.... just now was listening to the Doors Storm Rider... the sound of the rain was in the surround speakers and sounded good...

Jun 27, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #9,259 of 15,986
The latest Nvidia Shield TV plays sends atmos via hdmi for Tidal and Netflix (not tried Amazon prime), and is easy to setup. However, the Tidal app interface and search is awful on the Shield, and the selection of atmos music is barely worth the effort.

Jun 28, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #9,260 of 15,986
I plan on connecting the Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K to an HDMI port on the Realiser, then connect the HDMI out port from the Realsier to a TV. Hopefully, the Tidal app running on the Fire Stick will output Dolby Atmos Music to the Realiser.

If you'd prefer running Tidal on your PC and using the PC as your source (via HDMI), this should work as well. However, I was not able output Dolby Music from a Windows 10 PC running Tidal. The best I could do with my existing hardware was output PCM from the PC. The process of installing/configuring Dolby Access, troubleshooting, and uninstalling/reinstalling drivers was not a smooth process (see screenshot below), and in the end, I was only able to listen for a few minutes before the audio failed all together.

"HDMI !" Error Message
Error_Msg.PNG

Others with newer PC hardware and cables will likely have a better experience. But I found the process much more complicated than I would have liked. Now I remember why I'm not a big fan of multi-channel audio. What I've discovered in the past week is navigating the waters of Dolby Atmos streaming, for Movies and Music, can be quite a challenging proposition.
I can't guess what sorts of issues you've had, but opening the "manage audio device" or "Sound" to get the "Sound" pop up, seems to force Windozzzz to refresh the situation on audio. That includes seeing the A16 as audio device if for whatever reason(like in which order we decided to boot both) it isn't there yet.
I've right clicked on the Sound icon and created a shortcut on the desktop which I clicked anytime I didn't get sound into the A16 from HDMI cable. And most of the time that was enough for me. Might not be your solution but it might still help refresh audio when you're searching for the problem and trying various settings to make sure windows actually took them into account.
Captain obvious: if you're changing a setting within the "Sound" pop up, pressing Apply will do the same thing.

Jun 28, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #9,261 of 15,986
I can't guess what sorts of issues you've had, but opening the "manage audio device" or "Sound" to get the "Sound" pop up, seems to force Windozzzz to refresh the situation on audio. That includes seeing the A16 as audio device if for whatever reason(like in which order we decided to boot both) it isn't there yet.
I've right clicked on the Sound icon and created a shortcut on the desktop which I clicked anytime I didn't get sound into the A16 from HDMI cable. And most of the time that was enough for me. Might not be your solution but it might still help refresh audio when you're searching for the problem and trying various settings to make sure windows actually took them into account.
Captain obvious: if you're changing a setting within the "Sound" pop up, pressing Apply will do the same thing.

Thanks for the suggestion. In my case, unlike a USB device, Windows doesn't "see" the Realiser as an audio device, only the HDMI output port on my graphics card. I'm not aware that you can get Windows to actually display the Realiser in the audio device list when using only HDMI. Should I install the Realiser USB driver as well, even if I'm only using HDMI?

1593337798398.png

BTW... I've had a desktop shortcut for the Sound Control panel for years because the Sound icon keeps disappearing from the task bar.

Jun 28, 2020 at 6:39 AM Post #9,262 of 15,986
Thanks for the suggestion. In my case, unlike a USB device, Windows doesn't "see" the Realiser as an audio device, only the HDMI output port on my graphics card. I'm not aware that you can get Windows to actually display the Realiser in the audio device list when using only HDMI. Should I install the Realiser USB driver as well, even if I'm only using HDMI?

BTW... I've had a desktop shortcut for the Sound Control panel for years because the Sound icon keeps disappearing from the task bar.
arf. :frowning2:
I don't have the A16 right now so I can't show what I have, but Win did recognize mine as A16 in that pop up. And it appeared as my third monitor connected with HDMI in the NVIDIA settings. Just instead of the model of the monitor it was A16(maybe Realizer A16?).

I don't remember if I tried installing the USB driver before or after trying HDMI, so I can't tell you if they have any relation(can't imagine why they would, but that's just my guts talking).

Some AMD+hdmi users can show how the A16 appears for them to check if that screenshot is normal or not?

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 7:53 AM Post #9,263 of 15,986

It shows in mine. I have no A16 drivers installed.

spanel.png

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #9,264 of 15,986
Just to let you know that I received word from Gilles (French importer) that the circuit boards are on their way to him and will arrive next week in Paris. His customers (myself included) will then have to send their "beloved" A16 back to him since he will do the upgrade himself. It also means less work for the Smyths and more opportunity for the Kickstarters to get their due.

It seems that the great enterprise is moving forward again.:wink:

Jun 28, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #9,265 of 15,986
Just to let you know that I received word from Gilles (French importer) that the circuit boards are on their way to him and will arrive next week in Paris. His customers (myself included) will then have to send their "beloved" A16 back to him since he will do the upgrade himself. It also means less work for the Smyths and more opportunity for the Kickstarters to get their due.

It seems that the great enterprise is moving forward again.:wink:
Has firmware version 1.91 been fully and successfully tested with the new circuit boards?

Jun 28, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #9,266 of 15,986
As part of his post #9,240, @Fox1977 wrote about a message from James Smyth. The conclusion of that message was that “….An update will be posted shortly….”

I think that the promised update will provide some information on how did Smyth Research complete testing of the new circuit boards.

Jun 28, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #9,268 of 15,986
This is the week we should start seeing shipments!

Jun 30, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #9,269 of 15,986
@castleofargh, @Janska Thanks for your help.

I have good new and bad news. The good news is I finally experienced 9.1.6 Dolby Atmos from my Windows 10 PC to the Realiser A!6 via HDMI and it was captivating.

LCD_IMG_ID000_1_FCC23D0FFEB7_200630031821.png

LCD_IMG_ID000_1_FCC23D0FFEB7_200630031833.png

The bad news, the HDMI interface was difficult to install, at least with my hardware, and extremely unstable. Dolby Atmos would not continue to work across Windows shutdowns. At least I was able to recreate the the screenshot bug I mentioned previously.

While playing a Dolby stream, pressing the screenshot key
1593556887562.png
would kill audio output to the headphones. The speaker map display would continue to show activity to the speakers but no audio could be heard. Reloading the user preset (in most cases, not all) would correct the problem. If reloading the presets does not work, starting over and reinstalling and rebooting everything was the only solution I found to work. I'll need to report this issue to Smyth.

In the end, I've wasted far too much time trying to get the HDMI interface to work, and ultimately fail, with Windows 10. Do I know why it didn't work? I don't have a clue. The irony is I don't even intend to use HDMI from my PC. This was just an experiment to experience Atmos on Tidal, which I didn't even get to try.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #9,270 of 15,986
I have good new and bad news. The good news is I finally experienced 9.1.6 Dolby Atmos from my Windows 10 PC to the Realiser A!6 via HDMI and it was captivating.

LCD_IMG_ID000_1_FCC23D0FFEB7_200630031821.png

LCD_IMG_ID000_1_FCC23D0FFEB7_200630031833.png

The bad news, the HDMI interface was difficult to install, at least with my hardware, and extremely unstable. Dolby Atmos would not continue to work across Windows shutdowns. At least I was able to recreate the the screenshot bug I mentioned previously.

While playing a Dolby stream, pressing the screenshot key 1593556887562.pngwould kill audio output to the headphones. The speaker map display would continue to show activity to the speakers but no audio could be hear. Reloading the user preset (in most cases, not all) would correct the problem. If reloading the presets does not work, starting over and reinstalling and rebooting everything was the only solution I found to work. I'll need to report this issue to Smyth.

In the end, I've wasted far too much time trying to get the HDMI interface to work, and ultimately fail, with Windows 10. Do I know why it didn't work? I don't have a clue. The irony is I don't even intend to use HDMI from my PC. This was just an experiment to experience Atmos on Tidal, which I didn't even get to try.

This is a little alarming to me as using it from my PC is going to be 90% of its intended functionality. Hopefully this gets resolved or this is just some quirk with your set up. (I mean, I hope you get it working, I just mean I hope this is not a widespread issue.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back