Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jul 1, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #9,286 of 16,030
For your info : https://www.facebook.com/pg/smyth.realiser.fr/posts/?ref=page_internal

from the facebook page of Gilles (French importer)
...first modified 24-channel Smyth Realiser A16. It was returned to his owner today, eager to listen to that ...

1593629909038.png

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #9,288 of 16,030
Just got my unit back(before everybody loses it, it was a repair without any upgrade. My international prestige as Sound Science modo had nothing to do with how fast it went. That really only helps with pretty girls, and so far, only in my head).
So I downloaded some dolby atmos demo, got the atmos app on windorzk store. Went to setting it with the playback system shaped icon in the app instead of the BS 7day trial for the headphone thingy we do not care about. And after setting my video player to audio pass through to avoid any chance of stuff being altered, the A16 just detected the demo as Atmos after a few seconds of playing it. I won't pretend like it's easy for everybody because it would take 3 lives for my mother to do the same, but at least on the A16 side, I saw nothing that was needed so long as the right HDMI input was selected as source.

Is there nobody here using AMD and HDMI to share if there seem to be a problem with that? Or maybe something to do with certain standards of HDMI cables or connections(2 out of my 3 HDMI cables are cheap amazon ones so I doubt it)? Do the MDP output on a graphic cards work like the HDMI ones for the A16, or any other stuff that you guys happened to notice by chance that could explain @jazzfan's difficulties?
As long as it's 2.1 HDMI certified, I don't see how the cabling could be a problem, assuming it's not defective, that is.

And the good news today is that Realisers out for repair and/or update are starting to find their way back to their owners. Butttt. inasmuch as I sent mine in for repair, I now have to wonder if it will be updated. Since I've been waiting since January 28th and the "update" was the ostensible reason for the slow turnaround, I will be extremely upset if it's not done gratis as I have been led to believe it would be.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #9,289 of 16,030
I can confirm that Tidal is delivering 7.1 atmos music via the Apple TV 4k.... just now was listening to the Doors Storm Rider... the sound of the rain was in the surround speakers and sounded good...

Can you post screenshots of your Realiser processing Tidal Atmos Music from your Apple TV 4k?

Today, I was able to stream Tidal Atmos Music from my PC. However, I'm not sure if the Realiser is processing the signal properly. It shows it's receiving/decoding a 7.1 Dolby TrueHD stream. However, the speaker map only shows two channels of active audio.

LCD_IMG_ID000_8_FCC23D0FFEB7_200701130756.png

LCD_IMG_ID000_8_FCC23D0FFEB7_200701130806.png

Also when I play Youtube videos, the stream is still shows two-channels of 7.1 Dolby TrueHD audio. Do you think, by configuring my HDMI audio device to "Dolby Atmos for home theater" this forces Windows to output all audio as a Dolby TrueHD stream regardless of original format? Should I expect activity in all 7.1 speakers with Dolby Atmos Music?

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #9,290 of 16,030
I was hoping to wake up today to an update or email from James stating that they are going to be shipping out upgrade units. Guessing it won’t be happening this week.

Can you post screenshots of your Realiser processing Tidal Atmos Music from your Apple TV 4k?

Today, I was able to stream Tidal Atmos Music from my PC. However, I'm not sure if the Realiser is processing the signal properly. It shows it's receiving/decoding a 7.1 Dolby TrueHD stream. However, the speaker map only shows two channels of active audio.

LCD_IMG_ID000_8_FCC23D0FFEB7_200701130756.png
LCD_IMG_ID000_8_FCC23D0FFEB7_200701130806.png

Also when I play Youtube videos, the stream is still shows two-channels of 7.1 Dolby TrueHD audio. Do you think, by configuring my HDMI audio device to "Dolby Atmos for home theater" this forces Windows to output all audio as a Dolby TrueHD stream regardless of original format? Should I expect activity in all 7.1 speakers with Dolby Atmos Music?

I don’t have my A16 currently to test, but I know for sure that when it’s detecting an Atmos signal the logo on the A16 won’t say “Dolby Audio” instead it will say “Dolby Atmos”.

I’m also fairly certain that once you enable Atmos on Windows 10 that the signal it feeds to the A16 is always detected as an Atmos feed even if it on is using two speakers. If I had my A16 back I would test it for you and show you what the behavior is that I’m seeing.

Jul 2, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #9,291 of 16,030
As long as it's 2.1 HDMI certified, I don't see how the cabling could be a problem, assuming it's not defective, that is.

And the good news today is that Realisers out for repair and/or update are starting to find their way back to their owners. Butttt. inasmuch as I sent mine in for repair, I now have to wonder if it will be updated. Since I've been waiting since January 28th and the "update" was the ostensible reason for the slow turnaround, I will be extremely upset if it's not done gratis as I have been led to believe it would be.

I was in pretty much the same boat. I asked Smyth to do the update while repairing my unit. I was told that had they needed to replace my unit, I would have gotten the upgrade for free. Since the unit was repairable, they charged me for the upgrade, but I believe I was given a good discount. The bad news is that I was told on June 9th that my A-16 would ship back to me the next day. Then on June 22nd I was told that they were planning to start retrofitting that week. Still nothing...

Jul 2, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #9,292 of 16,030
I was in pretty much the same boat. I asked Smyth to do the update while repairing my unit. I was told that had they needed to replace my unit, I would have gotten the upgrade for free. Since the unit was repairable, they charged me for the upgrade, but I believe I was given a good discount. The bad news is that I was told on June 9th that my A-16 would ship back to me the next day. Then on June 22nd I was told that they were planning to start retrofitting that week. Still nothing...
They have never communicated with me one way on whether the unit was repairable or needed to be replaced, so I don't know what I'm getting or when I'll be getting it. And I paid full fare for it.

Jul 2, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #9,293 of 16,030
They have never communicated with me one way on whether the unit was repairable or needed to be replaced, so I don't know what I'm getting or when I'll be getting it. And I paid full fare for it.

Smyth does not tell you anything unless you ask them direct questions and even then... However, Stephen has been very good about replying to my support related emails. Sorry if that has not been the case for you.

Jul 2, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #9,294 of 16,030
Smyth does not tell you anything unless you ask them direct questions and even then... However, Stephen has been very good about replying to my support related emails. Sorry if that has not been the case for you.
Looking back I actually did get a reply that I would be getting the new upgraded unit. But that was soooo long ago. 😯

Jul 2, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #9,295 of 16,030
I finally got a chance to install the new A-16 USB driver on my Mac. The Mac now sees the Realiser and two-channel playback works.

However, multi-channel does not work. I tried using Apple Midi to setup the speaker mapping, but every time it gives me an error about Overlapping Channels, even though I have each speaker mapped to a different channel.

Additionally, on the A-16 in the PCM Audio Management, I can't change USB. It will only do Direct.

I'm beyond frustrated. I've had this thing for six months and have yet to get multi-channel playback from my Mac working and there are zero instructions in the manual. I'm going to contact Smyth and if they can't fix it, I'll demand a refund.

Jul 2, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #9,297 of 16,030
However, multi-channel does not work. I tried using Apple Midi to setup the speaker mapping, but every time it gives me an error about Overlapping Channels, even though I have each speaker mapped to a different channel.

I had the same experience. Gave up on usb for now from Mac.

I did get multichannel to work from Mac over HDMI. Don’t remember if I did something special to achieve that.

Still looking for a way to get multichannel audio from my RPi Roon bridge into the A16.

Jul 2, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #9,298 of 16,030
I finally got a chance to install the new A-16 USB driver on my Mac. The Mac now sees the Realiser and two-channel playback works.

Additionally, on the A-16 in the PCM Audio Management, I can't change USB. It will only do Direct.

I'm beyond frustrated. I've had this thing for six months and have yet to get multi-channel playback from my Mac working and there are zero instructions in the manual. I'm going to contact Smyth and if they can't fix it, I'll demand a refund.
You could always use another source.

Jul 3, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #9,300 of 16,030
I don't read much about the Centro Control App here. Does no one use it?
I can't because I have only Android devices. Seems that I need to buy a used Ipad for that.

I plan on using it and I have it setup on my iPad. Just waiting on my A16 to be returned to give it a go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back