Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jul 4, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #9,317 of 15,988
Have all Kickstarter orders fulfilled now and have they begun shipping preorders?
Or are they just doing upgrades now?
Nope, last KS backers who got his unit was #204.
I am #203 and haven’t received mine. I was supposed to get it (the newer version) by the end of March (I received an email from James shortly after the March update) but crap happened...
Theoretically I should be among the first batch that will be sent after they are done with those who were sent for retrofitting.
Shipping was supposed to start this week, but except for one user here who said he got his unit back yesterday - and another one sent in France by Gilles -, no one else mentioned their unit was shipped back after being upgraded.

Jul 4, 2020 at 7:00 AM Post #9,318 of 15,988
I am #203 and haven’t received mine. I was supposed to get it (the newer version) by the end of March (I received an email from James shortly after the March update) but *** happened...
Theoretically I should be among the first batch that will be sent after they are done with those who were sent for retrofitting.
Shipping was supposed to start this week, but except for one user here who said he got his unit back yesterday - and another one sent in France by Gilles -, no one else mentioned their unit was shipped back after being upgraded.

Thanks, I hope you have yours soon Fox!

But it seems like the preorder people are in for another 1 - 2 years.
It's pretty shameless of them to keep selling new units to people who pay full price and now start prioritizing paid upgrades while people are still waiting for the units they paid 4 years ago.

Jul 4, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #9,319 of 15,988
I am #203 and haven’t received mine. I was supposed to get it (the newer version) by the end of March (I received an email from James shortly after the March update) but *** happened...

I was sent a PM yesterday from someone who lives in Finland and said James has shipped back his upgraded unit and he’s supposed to receive it on Monday. Hoping that means the floodgates open next week and more upgrades are shipped back and KS orders start going out again.

Jul 4, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #9,320 of 15,988
Thanks for the information ! It's good to know that it's moving forward, even slowly. I keep fingers crossed. I have two weeks left before my summer holidays start. It would be great to get mine before that !

Jul 4, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #9,321 of 15,988
I was sent a PM yesterday from someone who lives in Finland and said James has shipped back his upgraded unit and he’s supposed to receive it on Monday. Hoping that means the floodgates open next week and more upgrades are shipped back and KS orders start going out again.
Let's hope they don't do ten a week.

Jul 4, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #9,323 of 15,988
Let's hope they don't do ten a week.

I’m honestly not sure we’ll ever see more than 10-15 units shipped per week. Given the small trickle of upgrades sent back I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s another month until they get through them.

Jul 5, 2020 at 6:14 AM Post #9,324 of 15,988
Getting Atmos output would have been a nice surprise, but I was expecting it would work like Tidal on the Apple TV did (ie before they added Atmos support), where it would convert Atmos content to 5.1 PCM.

BTW, I'm not particularly fixated on using Atmos, but I think it is the only format of multi-channel music on Tidal. As far as Netflix and Amazon (played on my Mac), I'd be happy if they output multi-channel PCM, but that does not seem to work either. I'm going to play around with it some more tosee if I can get it working.

I'm not Mac literate, but the Apple OS and Device Support link (https://developer.dolby.com/platforms/apple/macos/os-support/) @arnaud previously provided might shed some light on what specific combination of hardware, OS software, and browsers are required to output Dolby Atmos from a Mac. If you haven't done so already, check the link to see if your system meets all of the needed requirements to support Dolby Atmos.

In many cases, I've discovered that you have to run a very specific mix of hardware/software before you can produce the full Dolby Atmos experience. I've also found that the number of good Atmos mixes is disappointingly small.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 6:56 AM Post #9,326 of 15,988
I've also found that the number of good Atmos mixes is disappointingly small.
By reading the latest posts on music remastered in Dolby Atmos, I’m wondering whether or not it worth every penny as it isn’t sure that music was recorded in Dolby Atmos capable studios. If Tidal or other supplier streams older recordings (pre-Dolby Atmos) that are remastered as Dolby Atmos music, I don’t think that approach is quite honest. Actually, it’s just a sales/marketing gimmick.

Jul 5, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #9,329 of 15,988
Tried head tracking with tho headphones attached to the A16 yesterday.

Optical only seems possible for user A.
Magnetic however also seems not to work correctly. Both user A and B outputs react on movement of HT connected to user A. The HT of user B seems to be ignored completely.

Anyone noticed this too?
fw 1.91.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back