Smyth Research Realiser A16
May 13, 2020 at 4:05 AM Post #8,866 of 16,068
No its not.
Are you aware that I am in more or less constant contact with Stephen?
I'm sure he's not talking to you re internal company matters which is what I'm referring to. Stephen Smyth may be communicating with you on matters such as when the new FW is coming down or on whether they're planning on releasing a control app to the Google Play Store and/or the Apple Store, and I was not disputing that. But this constant speculation on the internal affairs or the company, this "As the Smyths Turn" soap opera doesn't even make a halfway decent conspiracy theory.

Not referring to you personally, but maybe some here should look for a blog where they can share their thoughts on the "Plandemic". Jeeshl

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 5:44 AM Post #8,867 of 16,068
images
Ummm, Of course, speaking of wishful thinking, if my name were Ongo Gablogian, and you gave me a choice between practicing wishful thinking, as a survival mechanism...

wishful_thinking.png

...and/or doling out little nuggets of premium BS to my clients every year, while delivering very little, and smiling all the way to the bank :

tenor.gif
d480c7151ee3ddde7190aa3efcad6c52a15704a7.gifv

it should be fairly easy for me to tell on which side my bread is buttered :):):

Unfortunately, my name is not Ongo Gablogian (place expletive here) :)

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #8,869 of 16,068
Great! Then you can ask him when he will finish messing around with new products (and upgrades) and resume shipping of kickstarter and preorders?
I think @audiohobbit mentioned a few days ago that they were planning to resume shipping within a week or two. In Smyth language, it would mean “maybe by the end of May” I guess... but maybe they’ll prove me wrong, one can still hope...

May 13, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #8,871 of 16,068
I'm sure he's not talking to you re internal company matters which is what I'm referring to.
That's right. I don't ask that and he doesn't tell me. He don't have to and he shouldn't imo.
So I won't ask for example what happened to Andy or anything like that.
What I probably may ask is when can s.th. be expected, etc.
But I always think about how much will I bother him with many questions, and at the moment he doesn't seem to have that much time. Understandable because he/they are finalising the new FW.
Stephen Smyth may be communicating with you on matters such as when the new FW is coming down or on whether they're planning on releasing a control app to the Google Play Store and/or the Apple Store, and I was not disputing that.
Well you full-quoted me and said that this is "All of this is pure speculation".
And it's not. What I said about the TCP control and the example app they created (based on this CentroControl App by Demopad, so the app is not completely programmed by themselves).
He sent me a multi page document that explains this in detail and I'm pretty sure this will be published with the new FW.
I am not always sure what I can/should/are allowed to dislose to you all so I'm a bit precautios. The document was preliminary, so I wouldn't publish that to anyone (all documents should come from Smyths directly).
But this constant speculation on the internal affairs or the company, this "As the Smyths Turn" soap opera doesn't even make a halfway decent conspiracy theory.
Yes, and I don't much appreciate this either. But if people have too many time, they start digging on the Internet...
I think @audiohobbit mentioned a few days ago that they were planning to resume shipping within a week or two. In Smyth language, it would mean “maybe by the end of May” I guess... but maybe they’ll prove me wrong, one can still hope...
Yes that's right. New FW plus restart of KS shippings within 1-2 weeks.

May 13, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #8,872 of 16,068
If I remember correctly Gilles was to come and " Train " on the new hardware and help with the hardware conversions... the finish target date was May 22 I believe... but the virus and travel may affect this date ??? and we don't actually know how many are being retrofitted. Will be nice for everyone to get their units..

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #8,873 of 16,068
For those who care, Gilles Gérin says he will take questions regarding the A-16, ideally between now and next Tuesday. In principle, the questions are supposed to be about A-16 related matters or "themes" he has discussed in e-mails he has sent to his own A-16 list, themes, which are itemized below.
Interestingly, he does not specify any subject or theme for item #10, and I am reading that as an invitation (voluntary or involuntary on his part) for slipping in questions about any themes that he has not itemized on his list. So if you have a question about an A-16 related matter that is not listed, my feeling is that you can ask it anyway. He can always decline to answer, if he cannot or does not want to. You have nothing to lose by trying.

On the other hand, this could be a good opportunity to learn something new or even get some privileged info about the A-16, since Gilles Gerin often has very useful "inside" knowledge, and is also quite responsive, unlike some other "usual suspects" whom we shall not name here :)

La semaine prochaine : C'est vous qui prenez la parole. Je répondrai à vos questions sur ce qui a été expliqué ces dernières semaines. Attention, pour une question d'organisation, écrivez-moi impérativement avant mardi.

Pour rappel des thèmes abordés :

1. les 2 formats du A16
  2. les captures de salle
  3. les décodages
  4. le suivi de tête I
  5. la connectique du A16
  6. les salles virtuelles
  7. le pilotage du A16
  8. le casque
  9. le Realiser Exchange
  10. ---
  11. la rapidité du A16
  12. le A16 pour les joueurs
  13. le suivi de tête II
Quick Translation:

Next Week : It will be your turn to speak. I shall respond to your questions about what has been explained here in these past recent weeks. Please note: for the sake of keeping things well organized, be sure to send me your questions before Tuesday.

Here is a reminder of themes that have been explored :
'
1. A-16 form factor : the two options

2. Room capture

3. Decoding audio formats (Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, Auro 3D, and other related formats)

4. Head tracking (the head-tracker) : Part I

5. Connecting the A-16 (Digital/Analog connectors and connecting options)

6. Virtual rooms

7. The remote

8. Headphone options

9. The Realizer Exchange

10. ....

11. Speed and latency of operations

12. The A-16 for gaming and gamers

13. Head Tracking (The Head tracker) Part II

Gilles Gerin is reachable at : Gilles Gerin <info@av-in.fr>

Thx.

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #8,874 of 16,068
I do seem to remember that Gilles Gerin wasn't so happy the last time that people from all over, others than his own customers (or potential customers), mailed questions to him...

May 13, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #8,875 of 16,068
I do seem to remember that Gilles Gerin wasn't so happy the last time that people from all over, others than his own customers (or potential customers), mailed questions to him...

Well, I received that mail in my own personal e-mail inbox, along with many previous ones, but I have never been his customer. I do not even remember how I got on his mailing list, although I have been to his AV-in site once, or maybe twice. when the A-16 was initially released and shipping was officially announced . My point is that this mail cannot be something exclusively meant for his personal customers, otherwise I should not have it, along with more than 10 others I have received.

May 14, 2020 at 3:31 AM Post #8,876 of 16,068
Well, I received that mail in my own personal e-mail inbox, along with many previous ones, but I have never been his customer. I do not even remember how I got on his mailing list, although I have been to his AV-in site once, or maybe twice. when the A-16 was initially released and shipping was officially announced . My point is that this mail cannot be something exclusively meant for his personal customers, otherwise I should not have it, along with more than 10 others I have received.
You are the 2nd person on this forum (after Dixter) who received an email about this subject very recently. The info you mention is from 2018...
Is it a prank ?
I informed Gilles about this unusual situation.

PS : no. 10 is "future functions"

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #8,877 of 16,068
You are the 2nd person on this forum (after Dixter) who received an email about this subject very recently. The info you mention is from 2018...
Is it a prank ?
I informed Gilles about this unusual situation.

PS : no. 10 is "future functions"
Follow-up :

Please don't mention the email address from the sender on the forum since it is from Gilles ; he sure doen't want it to be mentioned because of possible spams.
The answer I received from Gilles :
...Yes, it’s not a fake. This email (and the series that preceded it) is sent to newsletter subscribers, or visitors to the convention, and who are not (yet) owners of the A16...

May 14, 2020 at 6:51 AM Post #8,878 of 16,068
Follow-up :

Please don't mention the email address from the sender on the forum since it is from Gilles ; he sure doen't want it to be mentioned because of possible spams.
The answer I received from Gilles :
...Yes, it’s not a fake. This email (and the series that preceded it) is sent to newsletter subscribers, or visitors to the convention, and who are not (yet) owners of the A16...

You know, I was about to post a long response to your previous e-mail, with all kinds of information which would not have been appropriate, from reading this later e-mail. Good thing I saw this last post before going ahead with that.

I also found the first e-mail i ever received from GG after a quick search, and it dates back to June 2018, and pertains to a Facebook webinar he was giving about the A-16, a webinar I had signed up for, but could not attend. That at least gives me some clue as to how he got hold my e-mail address.

With that being said, you can tell GG that I have personally found these e-mails to be rather helpful in a weird way. This is a point I make in the last part of the post I have just withheld:

I would like to emphasize that I am not complaining at all about receiving this correspondence. First of all, they make up, in quantity and importance, the most substantial information about the A-16 that I have ever received from any party anywhere, since I completed my pre-order payment in October 2017. I mean "any party anywhere," including, sadly, the Smyths, whose last very anemic update I received on April 3rd 2019. Needless to say, each of these recent e-mails from GG has come with pieces of info about the A-16 that are a hundred times more pertinent, useful, and valuable to me, than anything I have ever received via e-mail from James Smyth himself, although that is not really saying much. In all fairness, I can find much of the information I have received from these GG e-mails around the web on my own, by doing a little research; yet I am grateful to GG for having helped to keep my interest in the A-16 alive, even if he wasn't aware he was doing that.

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #8,879 of 16,068
If I remember correctly Gilles was to come and " Train " on the new hardware and help with the hardware conversions... the finish target date was May 22 I believe... but the virus and travel may affect this date ??? and we don't actually know how many are being retrofitted. Will be nice for everyone to get their units..

@sahmen
I did email Gilles your comments.
Thank you. I confess that I also share the same view.

@Dixter
The travel part is not the thing to do especially to the UK right now. The training part will now be done via video. More I do not know unfortunately.

I guess we are all more than a bit anxious about the return to normalcy and I confess that I always think about the many kickstarters that have not received their A16.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back