Smyth Research Realiser A16
May 11, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #8,851 of 16,108
My two cents:

As the A16 Pro-A has been already in use at certain studios in the USA and there is no information about that new iteration of Realiser A16 at the Smyth Research web site but only at av-in.com, one might infer that Gilles Gerin is more interested in promoting that device.

May 11, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #8,852 of 16,108
We’re now 2 days short of 9 weeks since the last Kickstarter update on March 11th in which Smyth Research publicly anticipated having the Realiser Exchange up and running in 6-8 weeks time, albeit with limited functionality. I wonder if Andy was still with them when that update was posted.

May 11, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #8,853 of 16,108
We’re now 2 days short of 9 weeks since the last Kickstarter update on March 11th in which Smyth Research publicly anticipated having the Realiser Exchange up and running in 6-8 weeks time, albeit with limited functionality. I wonder if Andy was still with them when that update was posted.

The UK lockdown started two weeks after that update, so it probably impacted their timeline. (Not that I would ever expect Smyth to make a self-imposed deadline, even under the best of circumstances.)

Also, what kind of engineer is this Andy guy? It is very rare for a firmware/embedded systems engineer to also do websites. Two different skill sets.

Last edited:
May 11, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #8,854 of 16,108
The UK lockdown started two weeks after that update, so it probably impacted their timeline. (Not that I would ever expect Smyth to make a self-imposed deadline, even under the best of circumstances.)

Also, what kind of engineer is this Andy guy? It is very rare for a firmware/embedded systems engineer to also do websites. Two different skill sets.
A lot of people do website design from home. A lot of people write code from home. Question is, does Smyth Research currently have anyone in those roles.

May 11, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #8,855 of 16,108
A lot of people do website design from home. A lot of people write code from home. Question is, does Smyth Research currently have anyone in those roles.

1589226593414.png

Home page, down below on the realiser exchange window, Andy's name is mentioned ; though it doesn't mean he was involved at all.
Look at all the pages and you will see on pages 2 and 4 (out of 5) : ...created 08/11/2017...

Last edited:
May 11, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #8,856 of 16,108
Realised Gossips, your daily tabloid newspaper exclusively about Smyth. Go get it now!
Are the Smyth brothers aliens from Neptune? A neighbor finally decided to talk.
Was Andy a Russian spy? is the multiverse theory the right one? Did they assassinate him with an older generation of HDMI cable like geeks without any sense of fashion?
Plus exclusive pictures of the boss brothers walking down a street last summer. All that and more in the Realised Gossips of May.

May 11, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #8,857 of 16,108

Home page, down below on the realiser exchange window, Andy's name is mentioned ; though it doesn't mean he was involved at all.
Look at all the pages and you will see on pages 2 and 4 (out of 5) : ...created 08/11/2017...

You can easily find him on LinkedIn (https://www.linkedin.com/in/andrew-n-6b268aaa/). It appears he was a consultant at Smyth or was just there temporarily. He left 10 months ago. His page does not show much experience or list many technologies.

Is there some reason to think that he is the only web developer they have? I think that the younger Smyth is also a software developer. Maybe he did the firmware.

Last edited:
May 12, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #8,859 of 16,108
Well, bon appetit then....

What I would make of all this: The Exchange website is nearly finished, so they don't need the programmer anymore, they just need to fill it with content now.
Maybe he's working still part-time freelancing somehow for them (at least he's still mentioned in the team).

So: Think positive.
Next FW is coming, An App-Control is coming (this i know for sure, at least for Apple but I think for Android also), and Exchange website is not so far away (I hope).

May 12, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #8,860 of 16,108

What I would make of all this: The Exchange website is nearly finished, so they don't need the programmer anymore, they just need to fill it with content now.
Maybe he's working still part-time freelancing somehow for them (at least he's still mentioned in the team).

So: Think positive.
Next FW is coming, An App-Control is coming (this i know for sure, at least for Apple but I think for Android also), and Exchange website is not so far away (I hope).

App based control makes me happy and between that and eARC my setup will be so much easier to use and will have many less links in the chain. Here's to hoping that my A16 gets retrofitted with the new components and returned relatively soon!

May 12, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #8,861 of 16,108

You say that based on what? Do you think a Javascript/AJAX programmer wrote the full-stack for the website, the firmware, and the app? I can tell you from his LinkedIn page that is super unlikely (unless he has oddly left most of skills off the page). No low-level languages like C/C++, no Python, no SQL, no NoSql, no chance. :deadhorse: Ok, I'll stop with this now. :)

May 12, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #8,862 of 16,108
Who said anything about the firmware or the App?
The description of Andy in the Team says Exchange website, nothin more.

I am pretty sure that Stephen writes most of the FW himself. Maybe Matthew also a little bit who is listed as Embedded Systems Engineer.

And the app is not fully self developed, it uses the Centro Control App and "Framework" of the company Demopad: http://www.demopad.com/products/centro-control
Everybody could also design his own GUI with the Demopad Designer Software, as far as I understand: http://www.demopad.com/products/designer

The new firmware just offers the network capability and the TCP commands (plus feedback in ASCII), so, as I already mentioned, every control software that can use TCP commands can be used. I think for example iRule should do this. I'm not (yet) experienced here, but a friend of mine does a lot with iRule.

May 12, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #8,863 of 16,108
Who said anything about the firmware or the App?
The description of Andy in the Team says Exchange website, nothin more.

I am pretty sure that Stephen writes most of the FW himself. Maybe Matthew also a little bit who is listed as Embedded Systems Engineer.

And the app is not fully self developed, it uses the Centro Control App and "Framework" of the company Demopad: http://www.demopad.com/products/centro-control
Everybody could also design his own GUI with the Demopad Designer Software, as far as I understand: http://www.demopad.com/products/designer

The new firmware just offers the network capability and the TCP commands (plus feedback in ASCII), so, as I already mentioned, every control software that can use TCP commands can be used. I think for example iRule should do this. I'm not (yet) experienced here, but a friend of mine does a lot with iRule.
All of this is pure speculation which is what happens when nothing is happening.

May 13, 2020 at 3:17 AM Post #8,864 of 16,108
All of this is pure speculation which is what happens when nothing is happening.

Hehehe... Speculation indeed, and not to mention waaay more wishful thinking, than its good for my health, or anyone else's for that matter, I reckon:

FloweryGranularArabianoryx-size_restricted.gif

By the way, there is absolutely no need for anyone to get too defensive or oversensitive about the expression "wishful thinking." I am simply referencing my own survival tool, the main mental instrument that has enabled me to survive this rather incredible ordeal, that is the onerous task of waiting for the Smyths to deliver on their promise, for three years, and still counting. Yes, wishful thinking, although most of the time, I have known better:
FixedThirstyErin-size_restricted.gif
tumblr_p41v0d0fwb1qejocno1_500.gifv

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 3:23 AM Post #8,865 of 16,108
No its not.
Are you aware that I am in more or less constant contact with Stephen?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back