Smyth Research Realiser A16
Oct 5, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #6,767 of 15,989
So I finally was able to see the audio delay you all are talking about. The Xbox one can switch output between Atmos bitstream and pcm 7.1 output. With that I can play YouTube audio sync test patterns. With pcm it is perfectly synced as far as I can tell. With Atmos it is slightly behind. Not super obvious with talking but you can tell when drum smacks not being exactly on queue. Is this the amount of delay those who had complained are seeing? Or was it supposed to be worse?

I had read some posts that it might be some config issue because when they did one thing or another with the files in their storage, the delay went away. Is this true such that even with Atmos the delay can be 100% gone or was that delay “bug” a much worse delay?

Also, on Atmos I get a lot of clicking with the Netflix movie “wheelman”. Not sure if it’s the movie, the Xbox one causing it, or the a16 causing it. Any of you tried this movie before with Atmos audio? I would say within 5 minutes you would hear at least one click. Sometimes much more often, it was throughout the whole movie.

Oct 5, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #6,768 of 15,989
So I finally was able to see the audio delay you all are talking about. The Xbox one can switch output between Atmos bitstream and pcm 7.1 output. With that I can play YouTube audio sync test patterns. With pcm it is perfectly synced as far as I can tell. With Atmos it is slightly behind. Not super obvious with talking but you can tell when drum smacks not being exactly on queue. Is this the amount of delay those who had complained are seeing? Or was it supposed to be worse?
I had read some posts that it might be some config issue because when they did one thing or another with the files in their storage, the delay went away. Is this true such that even with Atmos the delay can be 100% gone or was that delay “bug” a much worse delay?
You seem to talk about latency, which so far was not discussed at all in this forum. It is specified to be at 32ms regardless of the input format. The Kickstarter document showed a low latency mode with only 3ms, something that would be very helpful for critical gaming, playing musical instruments and using wireless headphones.

@audiohobbit: Can you include this feature in the poll of your thread, together with the hybrid mode?

Also, on Atmos I get a lot of clicking with the Netflix movie “wheelman”. Not sure if it’s the movie, the Xbox one causing it, or the a16 causing it. Any of you tried this movie before with Atmos audio? I would say within 5 minutes you would hear at least one click. Sometimes much more often, it was throughout the whole movie.
Now that you have mentionend it, I might also have heard some clicks (at other movies). Not sure though, have to pay more attention now.

Oct 5, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #6,769 of 15,989
You seem to talk about latency, which so far was not discussed at all in this forum. It is specified to be at 32ms regardless of the input format. The Kickstarter document showed a low latency mode with only 3ms, something that would be very helpful for critical gaming, playing musical instruments and using wireless headphones.
It might have eluded you in this 400+ pages long thread, but latency issues have been discussed here. Namely a audio latency of about 2-3 frames using Atmos mode, meaning audio is in some usage cases about 80ms up to 120ms late. This would be significantly more than the advertised 30ms.

Of course some people have TVs with image enhancement processing which delays the picture, and for those the latency problem might not be as noticable.
I still have to test if there are sync issues for me with the current firmware version 1.70.

One can still hope that Smyth Research will incorporate a +/- 200 ms AV sync feature in a future
firmware version. I belive we listed that as feature request which has been sent to Smyth Research
by Audiohobbit and which was promised by Smyth in this KS comment:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1959366850/realiser-a16-real-3d-audio-headphone-processor/comments?comment=Q29tbWVudC0xNDA5MTE0NQ==

The other issue was a delay artefact which resulted after switching presets (the old preset didnt get flushed completely after switching). This apparently has been solved since firmware 1.60

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #6,770 of 15,989
It might have eluded you in this 400+ pages long thread, but latency issues have been discussed here. Namely a audio latency of about 2-3 frames using Atmos mode, meaning audio is in some usage cases about 80ms up to 120ms late. This would be significantly more than the advertised 30ms.

Of course some people have TVs with image enhancement processing which delays the picture, and for those the latency problem might not be as noticable.
I still have to test if there are sync issues for me with the current firmware version 1.70.

One can still hope that Smyth Research will incorporate a +/- 200 ms AV sync feature in a future
firmware version. I belive we listed that as feature request which has been sent to Smyth Research
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1959366850/realiser-a16-real-3d-audio-headphone-processor/comments?comment=Q29tbWVudC0xNDA5MTE0NQ==

The other issue was a delay artefact which resulted after switching presets (the old preset didnt get flushed completely after switching). This aparently has been solved since firmware 1.60

I'll probably be ordering an A16 around the first week of January if not sooner. Just curious, is there a way to measure latency that's easy and economical enough for a layman to employ. I seem to have read that someone was using some software of app that pinned down precisely the exact ammt of latency. Would appreciate if that person would share.

Oct 5, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #6,771 of 15,989
I'll probably be ordering an A16 around the first week of January if not sooner. Just curious, is there a way to measure latency that's easy and economical enough for a layman to employ. I seem to have read that someone was using some software of app that pinned down precisely the exact ammt of latency. Would appreciate if that person would share.

I think a try and error approach with movies will suffice, just look for a part with close up dialogue or lets say a gun being fired with a muzzle flash and shift it until its in sync, it is quite obvious.

Or try some You Tube search term "AV Sync" and test patterns like this could be helpful, i am not sure if the sources can be trusted, though.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #6,772 of 15,989

Ups, I guess it might have. 80-120ms is really really bad.

Unfortunately, delaying audio/video does nothing apart for watching movies. It is really the latency that has to come down. The 3ms were in the spec sheet, so we should at least put it in the wish list.

Oct 5, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #6,773 of 15,989
Ups, I guess it might have. 80-120ms is really really bad.

Unfortunately, delaying audio/video does nothing apart for watching movies. It is really the latency that has to come down. The 3ms were in the spec sheet, so we should at least put it in the wish list.

Yea, this will only solve watching movies. We have been promised a 3ms low latency gaming mode, that would be very important or i will keep my A8 hooked up to the PC for playing games.
Also a must have for most wireless HP and other cases.

Smyth A16 KS.jpg

Screenshot from Kickstarter page

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #6,774 of 15,989
@audiohobbit: Can you include this feature in the poll of your thread, together with the hybrid mode?
Both features are on the list but I can not add them to the poll. As I already said it seems that in this forum you can only have one poll PER THREAD with a maximum of 8 answers.

Anyway I'll update the whole list and send the update to them in the next days, so it would be about 2 weeks after my first mail.

Oct 5, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #6,776 of 15,989

If they don't have any returns allowing you to jump the line you might as well wait until they have finished shipping the backlog in a year or two before pulling the trigger.

Oct 6, 2019 at 3:40 AM Post #6,778 of 15,989
Oct 6, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #6,780 of 15,989
Yea, this will only solve watching movies. We have been promised a 3ms low latency gaming mode, that would be very important or i will keep my A8 hooked up to the PC for playing games.
Also a must have for most wireless HP and other cases.

Screenshot from Kickstarter page

I wonder if this was only reporting the latency through the SVS processing. Since through PCM input I am not detecting noticeable latency. It could be the Dolby Atmos decoder is adding additional latency that wasn’t known at the time this table was created.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back