Smyth Research Realiser A16
Aug 27, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #6,032 of 15,987
It's not actually writing them to the card for some reason. The A16 looks like it's copying them to the card, but it isn't actually doing it.
Did you make a folder "realiser" on the card, like you had to do for the firmware update?

Edit: maybe it wants this "realiser" folder for all copying to and from the SD card, and if you did not create it, and did not put the A8 PRIR in there maybe that's why it also didn't find that on the card.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 9:44 PM Post #6,033 of 15,987
I just scanned the manual and can't find any reference to file structure at all for the A16 described... then went to the A8 files where the naming convention is PRIR20xx_descriptor.SVS

The PRIR20xx is the file structure they changed to representing the HDMI vs the non-HDMI versions of the A8... not sure what naming convention is for the A16 and it could simply be PRIR and the file header is where the magic is... ???

Aug 27, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #6,034 of 15,987
Did you make a folder "realiser" on the card, like you had to do for the firmware update?

Edit: maybe it wants this "realiser" folder for all copying to and from the SD card, and if you did not create it, and did not put the A8 PRIR in there maybe that's why it also didn't find that on the card.

Tried it with and without the realiser folder and it didn't work either way.

I just scanned the manual and can't find any reference to file structure at all for the A16 described... then went to the A8 files where the naming convention is PRIR20xx_descriptor.SVS

The PRIR20xx is the file structure they changed to representing the HDMI vs the non-HDMI versions of the A8... not sure what naming convention is for the A16 and it could simply be PRIR and the file header is where the magic is... ???

It appears the that PRIR files on the A16 begin with PRIR_nameofuser__nameofroom

Aug 27, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #6,038 of 15,987
You know, I never really thought about this, but I could easily move it from below the tv next time I feel like measuring the room again. Wish I would have thought about it before. I’m probably not going to mess with measuring again until I either get access to a different room with a better setup or once the ability to do an asynchronous measurement is available. I really don’t want to mess with the unplugging and replugging that I need to do to measure again and the current PRIR is so much better than any surround solution I’ve listened to that I’ll probably be fine for awhile.

Do yourself a favor, and the next time you make a 5.1 (or 7.1), ditch your actual center, and move one of your fronts so that it's on the 0 degree mark. It will sound waaaay better than using whatever your current center is, barring your fronts are junk. Having the horns (or tweeters) aligned makes it sound much better. Not to mention fronts usually have a larger range anyway. This is what many that use projectors with screens that let them put speakers behind do, and actual theaters use multiple "fronts" as the center too.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 12:57 AM Post #6,039 of 15,987

This doesn't sound right to me. I believe the A8 only supports DOS FAT-format (8.3) file names on its SD card. Your example would require FAT32 and I believe the SD card used with the A8 must be formatted FAT.

Sure, you could save it on your PC wherever you wanted in whatever long-form FAT32/NTFS file name format you want in order to provide clarity and self-documentation, but when needed for use by the A8 it must be 8.3 to be FAT-compatible and discoverable by the A8's file handler. I think that's the case.

From page 50 of the A8 manual:

The files the Realiser writes onto SD cards can easily be archived on a computer. The Realiser assigns
file names as follows:

PRIR20XX.SVS
HPEQ20XX.SVS
PRES20XX.SVS

where XX can be any number from 00 to 99.

Although the A16 manual does talk about a "Realiser" folder on a microSD card formatted FAT32, the file name examples shown for firmare and factory-provided PRIR/HPEQ files still look like DOS-format 8.3. So no matter what/where you're copying exchange A8 files from, I would rename them on the card to 8.3 form just to be safe in order to have a prayer for using them on the A16.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 1:19 AM Post #6,040 of 15,987
Do yourself a favor, and the next time you make a 5.1 (or 7.1), ditch your actual center, and move one of your fronts so that it's on the 0 degree mark. It will sound waaaay better than using whatever your current center is, barring your fronts are junk. Having the horns (or tweeters) aligned makes it sound much better. Not to mention fronts usually have a larger range anyway. This is what many that use projectors with screens that let them put speakers behind do, and actual theaters use multiple "fronts" as the center too.

He should be able to do this without moving the speaker shouldn't he? Just face one of them and do a solo centre speaker measurement. Then combine it. Just ensure to sit same distance from it as reports are A16 doesn't do delay.

Aug 28, 2019 at 2:40 AM Post #6,041 of 15,987
He should be able to do this without moving the speaker shouldn't he? Just face one of them and do a solo centre speaker measurement. Then combine it. Just ensure to sit same distance from it as reports are A16 doesn't do delay.

No, unless you do it in an anechoic chamber, moving the speaker to the designate position is much better as it keeps the correct sound wave reflections in the room.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #6,042 of 15,987
No, unless you do it in an anechoic chamber, moving the speaker to the designate position is much better as it keeps the correct sound wave reflections in the room.

Yes your approach may end up with a better approximation of the room. I think got the shakes is measuring in-wall speakers though. My mains are golden ear triton ones. I won't be moving one of those!

Meanwhile I just sent this email to James Smyth:

Hi James
I still have not heard from the courier company and do not have a tracking number. Can you please confirm if this has been shipped to me as per your email of last Tuesday?
Regards

Aug 28, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #6,043 of 15,987

In theory yes, but at least from my own experiences trying that, it rarely sounds right for some reason. To get the best sound, I always had to move mine. Could be room related, or it could have just been me not looking directly ahead, but I don't see how I could have screwed that up every single time.

edit: In wall speakers? Guess that would be a hassle to have to move, but it would only have to be done once for the measurements.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #6,045 of 15,987
Yes the room that I was measuring did have in wall front speakers. I actually took the first measurement when I first got the A16 using a front as a center. I’ve since remeasured using the actual center as a center so I actually have both PRIRs on my device. I haven’t played much, but to be honest I find a mini mask difference between the two. It’s pretty likely that the measurement that I used the front as a center isn’t all that great since it was my first attempt at ever capturing a room.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back