Smyth Research Realiser A16
Aug 13, 2019 at 1:14 AM Post #5,251 of 15,987
I did some calculations based on the various pledges on the kickstarter campaign page (yes, I am a little crazy).
Only readable if your window/screen is wide enough, otherwise just look at the end result:

330 backers total 282048 pounds total
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
200 backers pledged 720 pounds or more acount for minimal 200 A16s and minimal 144000 pounds
96 backers pledged 800 pounds or more acount for minimal 96 A16s and minimal 76800 pounds
17 backers pledged 900 pounds or more acount for minimal 17 A16s and minimal 15300 pounds
0 backers pledged 1100 pounds or more acount for minimal 0 A16s and minimal 0 pounds
16 backers pledged 1 pounds or more acount for minimal 0 A16s and minimal 16 pounds
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
329 backers acount for minimal 313 A16s and minimal 236116 pounds

(1 backer short in the listed pledges(?))

remaining: maximum 282048 - 236116 = 45932 pounds

maximum possible total amount of extra A16s ordered (by double or more ordering backers)
45932 / 720 = 63 A16s

So at most 313 + 63 = 376 A16s are for kickstarter backers.

In reality it could be less because of:
-some double or more ordering backers could have payed a higher price than the lowest (720)
-some of the money would have been for extra's like extra headtracker
-1 or more pound backers could have given more than 1 pound, and other backers could have given some extra money
So if all the kickstarter backers are shipped before any preorders, and they only ship ten a week, there's still a 37 week wait before the first preorder gets his Realiser--which is nine months! And that's if they do what they say they'll do, and who knows how many preorders were accepted and where they stand in the queue. And everyone has already waited two and a half years. Jeesh.

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:58 AM Post #5,255 of 15,987
There were 83 back then
I am hoping now - contrary to what I guessed in the past - that the total number of pre-orders is indeed only in that order of magnitude, around 100 or 200 at the most. If it is 1500 and if I am one of the last... :triportsad:
But it could have been a partial e-mail list, that there were more than 83 already. (For example the list could have contained only the ones that payed the same price as you did. They increased the price a few times.)
[Edit: @Takeanidea : Actually it occured to me now that it must have been a partial list. What was in the mail? That you would not pay taxes? Then it must have been a list of customers somewhere outside the European Union I assume. Or was it about still having to pay the remaining balance including the taxes? Then it probably was a list of people who ordered for the same price, within a limited time-frame.]

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019 at 6:53 AM Post #5,256 of 15,987
I don't think that there are much more than 100 preorders.
I hope for them that it were much more on the other hand.

What would be interesting is how many A8s have been sold in total.

Aug 13, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #5,257 of 15,987
I don't think that there are much more than 100 preorders.
I hope for them that it were much more on the other hand.

What would be interesting is how many A8s have been sold in total.

I received the following customer survey email from James Symth 2/2017 titled Customer Survey. It was openly cc'd to a total of 84 emails. Said the following:
HI,
Smyth Research needs some info from you to deliver your reward.

Shipping details
Name
Address 1
Street address, P.O. box
Address 2 (optional)
Apartment, suite, unit, building, floor, etc.
City
State or province
Zip or Postal Code
Preferred enclosure?
-Headstand
-2U
Preferred front/rear panel colour?
-Silver
-Black
What future accessories might you be interested in?
-Soft travel Case
-Desktop cover(Headstand)
-Wooden side panels(2U)
-Customised painting/hydro printing
-Other
Will you be using your reward at work or at home?

-Work
-Home
Please respond ASAP.
Best Regards
James

Aug 13, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #5,258 of 15,987
I received the following customer survey email from James Symth 2/2017 titled Customer Survey. It was openly cc'd to a total of 84 emails. Said the following:
HI,
Smyth Research needs some info from you to deliver your reward.

Shipping details
Name
Address 1
Street address, P.O. box
Address 2 (optional)
Apartment, suite, unit, building, floor, etc.
City
State or province
Zip or Postal Code
Preferred enclosure?
-Headstand
-2U
Preferred front/rear panel colour?
-Silver
-Black
What future accessories might you be interested in?
-Soft travel Case
-Desktop cover(Headstand)
-Wooden side panels(2U)
-Customised painting/hydro printing
-Other
Will you be using your reward at work or at home?

-Work
-Home
Please respond ASAP.
Best Regards
James

This doesn’t make me feel great about my place in line since I preordered in June 2017. Best case I’m like number 450.

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #5,259 of 15,987
Gilles posted this picture on his Facebook page :
1-CF5164-C-4268-4926-8-CCD-B05-BC6-CDDC80.jpg

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #5,261 of 15,987
Gilles posted this picture on his Facebook page :
1-CF5164-C-4268-4926-8-CCD-B05-BC6-CDDC80.jpg

This is of course, fabulous. Thanks to Gilles.

But whiles we're at it, why are the folks at Smyth Research apparently not even interested in such basic acts of Marketing 101, as publishing a few "rollout" or promo pictures on this important occasion of the launching of a major product they're been working on for several years?

Never mind! We all know the answer already... No need to beat a long dead horse...

Looking forward to the vicarious enjoyment of the first few owners' impressions that are likely to pop up here and there in the next few weeks.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #5,264 of 15,987
I wonder if the Smyths will also be shipping some of their units early on to members of the press, e.g., Stereophile/Kal Rubinson, Sound and Vision, Sound On Sound, etc. Also, although there were 330 Kickstarter backers, there have to be a subset of folks who went in for two units.
There are even some buyers like me who ordered 3 :ksc75smile: or even more.... (I ordered my A16s at the end of December 2016), the more the merrier !

Aug 13, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #5,265 of 15,987
For those of us who just can't wait for a single second... the A16 windows/mac drivers are live now on the download page... enjoy https://smyth-research.com/downloads/

What? Can any one explain what this is for? This thing doesn't need to be hooked up to a computer to work does it? I use Linux and I would be seriously pissed if I had to buy a computer to run this thing. My understanding was that accessing the controls would be done via a web interface which shouldn't require a driver. I am very confused.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back