Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jan 28, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #4,381 of 15,987
I notice they have passed on the opportunity to give a monthly update for January. Kind of ridiculous if all they had to do was replace a couple of resistors on one board and send one completed unit in for certification, isn't it?
Smyth is ready for certification, they have/had to wait until Dolby has evaluated the self test results from Smyth and until Dolby has time to perform the tests themselves.

Jan 28, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #4,382 of 15,987
Smyth is ready for certification, they have/had to wait until Dolby has evaluated the self test results from Smyth and until Dolby has time to perform the tests themselves.
Thank you for a recap of last months news... the anxiety is about this months news and progress on this front. :wink:

Jan 28, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #4,384 of 15,987
Well, I saw someone didn't properly read last months news, hence the recap.
By the way, January isn't over yet.

This is what they wrote:

“Just a very short update. The launch version of the user interface has now been completed and we’re in the process of submitting the Realiser A16 for Dolby Atmos certification. Our self-certification results looked fine, and Dolby are now reviewing them. Once they’re happy with them they’ll allocate us a ‘test’ slot, but this is unlikely to happen until the New Year.”

Having read it more then once, I see various possibilities what has happened since 21. December and now:
A) They never submitted their results to Dolby because while they were in the process, something happened.
B) They submitted the results just this week.
C) They really submitted before Christmas but Dolby has not reacted since then.
D) The subitted before Christmas and Dolby gave them a negative feedback and now they try to figure out with there investors what to do.
E) ...

You see my point?

Jan 28, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #4,385 of 15,987
This is what they wrote:

“Just a very short update. The launch version of the user interface has now been completed and we’re in the process of submitting the Realiser A16 for Dolby Atmos certification. Our self-certification results looked fine, and Dolby are now reviewing them. Once they’re happy with them they’ll allocate us a ‘test’ slot, but this is unlikely to happen until the New Year.”

Having read it more then once, I see various possibilities what has happened since 21. December and now:
A) They never submitted their results to Dolby because while they were in the process, something happened.
D) The subitted before Christmas and Dolby gave them a negative feedback and now they try to figure out with there investors what to do.
E) ...

You see my point?
No news is NOT good news.

Jan 28, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #4,386 of 15,987
Well, I saw someone didn't properly read last months news, hence the recap.
By the way, January isn't over yet.
This is what they wrote:

E) ...

You see my point?
With "someone" I was referring to phoenixdogfan thinking they would still have to replace the resistors in one board to get one unit ready to submit to Dolby. That is of course BS, of course they already had at least one unit complete with the right resistors, and such a unit would have been used for the succesfull self certification tests.
I think of the possibilties you mention C) is the most likely. D) could be. But not A) or B).
Why not A)? I think you misinterpreted "the process of submitting the Realiser A16 for Dolby Atmos certification" which consists of several steps: 1. sending the self certification test results to Dolby, 2. Waiting for Dolby to verify those results and for Dolby to assign a time slot in which Dolby performs it's own tests. 3 sending one or more A16's to Dolby so Dolby can perform their tests.
So what they meant is: they have done step 1, and at the moment of the last update they were "busy" with step 2, waiting for Dolby. (Which means "they are in the process of submitting...")
I don't see any particular reason not to believe this. If they sent the self certification test results shortly before christmas I find it very believable that Dolby wasn't ready a la minute (certainly not between christmas and new year) with reviewing the results and assigning a time slot and performing the tests.
I know they said many times this or that would be ready in that amount of time without actually achieving that. But as far as we know it has never happened that they claimed something was actually finished when it wasn't. If they did not actually finish the user interface, or did not actually pass their certification self test, or did not actually sent in their self certification test results (possibilty B)) that would be the first time they claimed something has been done while it has not. But of course it is not impossible...

Jan 28, 2019 at 11:44 PM Post #4,387 of 15,987
They have till Thursday for a January update. But if they would have passed this first hurdle to get a time slot for certification they would have written an update. I fear that while swapping some resistors they started to face other problems. And this is not unnormal. I have a friend who is well known headphone amp / DAC developer. And he never knows what will be the next problem and how to face it. But he does not give timelines unless development work is done and production can start.
Very sensible.
The problem with Smyth is that they promised us at Kickstarter May 2017. And soon enought it will be 3 years later.
Yes it's late, yes it's frustrating, but Smyth made no such promise. They were clearly optimistic with their timelines, but please refer to the "risks and challenges" section at the bottom of the Kickstarter page:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1959366850/realiser-a16-real-3d-audio-headphone-processor

Jan 29, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #4,388 of 15,987
wow!

293 pages for a product which is not even released.

most of the content is just guessing and theories

so let me add another conspiracy theory:

The simple truth is:
this not about a new product here,
it's just an experiment, to find out,
what happend to people and how they react and behave,
if something very promising is promised to them:

How long people are able to wait in general?
How long can the time between news updates be stretched, without people starting to kill the messenger?
What happen, if people waiting without any new content?
Will they generate new content or new stories?
Can the "wait-ers" be distinguished by personality?
Can they fill 293 pages...

Well, it looks like the experiment is running quite successfully :wink:

</sarcasm>

p.s. Where to hell is my kickstarted A16? :frowning2:

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #4,390 of 15,987
wow!

293 pages for a product which is not even released.

most of the content is just guessing and theories

so let me add another conspiracy theory:

The simple truth is:
this not about a new product here,
it's just an experiment, to find out,
what happend to people and how they react and behave,
if something very promising is promised to them:

How long people are able to wait in general?
How long can the time between news updates be stretched, without people starting to kill the messenger?
What happen, if people waiting without any new content?
Will they generate new content or new stories?
Can the "wait-ers" be distinguished by personality?
Can they fill 293 pages...

Well, it looks like the experiment is running quite successfully :wink:

</sarcasm>

p.s. Where to hell is my kickstarted A16? :frowning2:
Well, soon or later if it doesn't show up people will not be happy for sure and will confrunt them in a way or other, I think , but I am sure we will get it on the couple of months.

Jan 29, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #4,392 of 15,987
What are most people using for headphone surround until the A16 arrives? I have an Apple TV 4K unit coming later this week. I will probably use it in the ARC HDMI into my TCL 65" 6 series 2018 (65R615). Then use the TV's Optical Out into Turtle Beach DSS2 processor out to my Musical Fidelity X-CAN v2 tube amp to my AKG 712 Pro headphones. I watch 100% UHD/4k movies thru VUDU/MA/iTunes. No music.
Ive been messing with the idea of going to the 800 or 800s headphones.

So I guess Im asking if anyone is using something different than the DSS2 that might be better in this setup. Surround Amp like the Creative SXFI amp (although Im not sure how I would get it to work in this setup), surround headphones etc.. other ideas here?

Jan 29, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #4,393 of 15,987
I've received my Super X-Fi Amp (2x) a few days ago.
In my opinion it's quite impressive (although not as much as I expect the A16 will be and not as much as advertised...) for 7.1 movies and gaming. It's also working with the Nvidia Shield TV, which unfortunately supports only 5.1 with USB audio (no 7.1, no Dolby atmos). Probably people would be more impressed (as during the intial demos at the CES 2018) with the microphone based HRTF profiles instead of the rather simple ear / face mapping. I'm using it with my Sennheiser HD800 (which of course is much better than the free Aurvana Live!). Unfortunately it can be used only for one person, at least I have no idea so far how to use it for 2 persons at the same time (later in this year Creative will release a device which supports up to 4 listeners). My conclusion so far: It's a cheap and pleasant but not overwhelming experience and it's at least available!

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #4,394 of 15,987
I've received my Super X-Fi Amp (2x) a few days ago.
In my opinion it's quite impressive (although not as much as I expect the A16 will be and not as much as advertised...) for 7.1 movies and gaming. It's also working with the Nvidia Shield TV, which unfortunately supports only 5.1 with USB audio (no 7.1, no Dolby atmos). Probably people would be more impressed (as during the intial demos at the CES 2018) with the microphone based HRTF profiles instead of the rather simple ear / face mapping. I'm using it with my Sennheiser HD800 (which of course is much better than the free Aurvana Live!). Unfortunately it can be used only for one person, at least I have no idea so far how to use it for 2 persons at the same time (later in this year Creative will release a device which supports up to 4 listeners). My conclusion so far: It's a cheap and pleasant but not overwhelming experience and it's at least available!

Any idea how I could use it in my setup?

Jan 29, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #4,395 of 15,987
Any idea how I could use it in my setup?
You need to use one of the supported devices... , e.g. Android phone (>7.0), tablet, or as mentioned the Nvidia shield (I didn't try yet if it works with my android based Sony TVs...), PC, Mac, PS4, Nintendo Switch. Bluray players are not supported so far.
Unfortunately the device below (from CES 2019) isn't yet available.
Let's hope that the Realiser A16 arrives before !

ttcreative10-ol-1_0.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back