Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jan 25, 2019 at 5:58 AM Post #4,366 of 16,046
On top of that, only 17 backers on Kickstarter were from the EU.
Sorry, that is not correct, there are over (these are only the "top countries") 56+20+18+9 = 103, of which 83 outside the UK.
And there are also the pre-order customers (like me)!

From https://www.kickstarter.com/project...6-real-3d-audio-headphone-processor/community:
Where Backers Come From
Top Countries
United States
99 backers
Germany
56 backers
United Kingdom
20 backers
France
18 backers
Canada
14 backers
Singapore
13 backers
Switzerland
13 backers
Australia
11 backers
Netherlands
9 backers
Hong Kong
9 backers

Jan 25, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #4,367 of 16,046
I am waiting for my Smyth Realiser A16 to start the movie :)
20190125_115056.jpg

Jan 25, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #4,368 of 16,046
I'm currently using with Out Of Your Head a pair of AKG Q701. It's quite comfortable and sound stage is really wide. I did not compare with more expensive cans but at least at the beginning i'll continue with it. Has anyone here an idea about whether it will fit with the A16 or not ? Thanks !

Jan 27, 2019 at 8:45 AM Post #4,373 of 16,046
I'm currently using with Out Of Your Head a pair of AKG Q701. It's quite comfortable and sound stage is really wide. I did not compare with more expensive cans but at least at the beginning i'll continue with it. Has anyone here an idea about whether it will fit with the A16 or not ? Thanks !

I believe this has been referred to in this tread before: The German distributor lists the Q701 as yielding "very good results" with the A16, as opposed to "excellent" results with various STAX headphones or the HD800:
http://www.for-tune.de/de/produkte/smyth-research/realiser-a16.php

Jan 27, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #4,374 of 16,046
I think is just a matter of taste. Obviously the better the headphones the better the sound. Is all down to the materials used, comfort while on the head, weight distribution, etc.
I cannot stand anything other then genuine leather and the earpads have to be easily replaceable for me.

Jan 27, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #4,375 of 16,046
Could the tax and customs problems of shipping to EU countries after Brexit be avoided if Smyth Research sends a batch of the already assembled A16s to a EU country just before Brexit?

Hopefully only a software update would be required before final shipping to individual customers.

Maybe they could make arrangements with the French A16 dealer Gilles Guerin.

Jan 27, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #4,376 of 16,046
Could the tax and customs problems of shipping to EU countries after Brexit be avoided if Smyth Research sends a batch of the already assembled A16s to a EU country just before Brexit?

The fact it's already paid for in full years ago doesn't help avoid any levies?

Jan 27, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #4,378 of 16,046
In my opinion the Brexit will affect the Smyth Realiser A16 more or less. Also we don't know exactly what sorts of negotiations are taking place as I type, so things can get complicated .
I am still hoping that we will all get it before 29th March.

Never ever. I guess it will be end of 2019 - if we are lucky.
Why? Just look at the speed these guys have.

Jan 27, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #4,379 of 16,046
Never ever. I guess it will be end of 2019 - if we are lucky.
Why? Just look at the speed these guys have.
I notice they have passed on the opportunity to give a monthly update for January. Kind of ridiculous if all they had to do was replace a couple of resistors on one board and send one completed unit in for certification, isn't it?

Which should make everyone ask what else is going on they're not talking about.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2019 at 12:55 AM Post #4,380 of 16,046
I notice they have passed on the opportunity to give a monthly update for January. Kind of ridiculous if all they had to do was replace a couple of resistors on one board and send one completed unit in for certification, isn't it?

Which should make everyone ask what else is going on they're not talking about.

They have till Thursday for a January update. But if they would have passed this first hurdle to get a time slot for certification they would have written an update. I fear that while swapping some resistors they started to face other problems. And this is not unnormal. I have a friend who is well known headphone amp / DAC developer. And he never knows what will be the next problem and how to face it. But he does not give timelines unless development work is done and production can start.

The problem with Smyth is that they promised us at Kickstarter May 2017. And soon enought it will be 3 years later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back