Smyth Research Realiser A16
Sep 11, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #3,586 of 16,074
Gilles Gérin, the french dealer, gave some news after his trip to Ireland. I'll give a rough translation :

"Winter is coming
Just a quick note after my journey to Ireland, homeland of Game of Thrones (hence the title), to Smyth Research.
I have a lot to tell you, but all at once would be too much. For you and for me !
So, the most important. Yes, winter is coming. The wait is reaching the end. The software is almost finalized (a whole schedule of updates is planned, i'll come back to it later). And the Dolby certification process is expected by the end of the month. Assembling is about to start with around 50 units per week, for all the preorders (here i guess he means backers + preorders) and each of them will be tested (the longest part, i could see that). The team welcomed two new recruits a week ago.

Why such a speed-up ? The new chinese partner insists that the A16 project was wrapped up (especially for the preorders) as quick as possible. Therefore, the team went from three people originally (yes, only 3 who made everything from A to ... well W) to 8 today and maybe more soon.

I aslo have the final specs sheet, with all the features and functionnalities. It may not seem, but it's quite something, because on some points it was still fuzzy so far. About that also i'll come with more news later. I got answers to most of the questions i've been asked (some of your questions, i simply didn't understand them, sorry !). And i also have a long video interview of Stephen Smyth that i need to subtitle. Here again it will require some time...

I brought back in my luggage two working units of the A16, one of each form factor (sorry, i couldn't get more !), but this time they will in France for good, for all the forthcoming tests and reviews.

Here it is, so i have a lot of work ahead on my side... You'll soon hear from me again !

Thanks for your patience, for you enthusiasm, and your support.

Gilles Gérin"
This got me excited. Thank you sir for translating!

Sep 11, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #3,587 of 16,074
Gilles Gérin, the french dealer, gave some news after his trip to Ireland. I'll give a rough translation :

"Winter is coming
Just a quick note after my journey to Ireland, homeland of Game of Thrones (hence the title), to Smyth Research.
I have a lot to tell you, but all at once would be too much. For you and for me !
So, the most important. Yes, winter is coming. The wait is reaching the end. The software is almost finalized (a whole schedule of updates is planned, i'll come back to it later). And the Dolby certification process is expected by the end of the month. Assembling is about to start with around 50 units per week, for all the preorders (here i guess he means backers + preorders) and each of them will be tested (the longest part, i could see that). The team welcomed two new recruits a week ago.

Why such a speed-up ? The new chinese partner insists that the A16 project was wrapped up (especially for the preorders) as quick as possible. Therefore, the team went from three people originally (yes, only 3 who made everything from A to ... well W) to 8 today and maybe more soon.

I aslo have the final specs sheet, with all the features and functionnalities. It may not seem, but it's quite something, because on some points it was still fuzzy so far. About that also i'll come with more news later. I got answers to most of the questions i've been asked (some of your questions, i simply didn't understand them, sorry !). And i also have a long video interview of Stephen Smyth that i need to subtitle. Here again it will require some time...

I brought back in my luggage two working units of the A16, one of each form factor (sorry, i couldn't get more !), but this time they will in France for good, for all the forthcoming tests and reviews.

Here it is, so i have a lot of work ahead on my side... You'll soon hear from me again !

Gilles Gérin"

Thanks for this. Hopefully this timeline holds and we actually are getting kind of close to a ship date.

Sep 11, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #3,588 of 16,074

"Winter is coming

Gilles Gérin"
Merci beaucoup pour cela

It would be so good if I got this and the Yarra 3DX before Christmas. Now that my birthday was almost a month ago lol.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2018 at 5:13 AM Post #3,590 of 16,074

"Winter is coming

Gilles Gérin"
Thanks!
Where was this posted? I don't see anything on the av-in.com website or on his Facebook page.

Sep 12, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #3,593 of 16,074
Hello guys with the upcoming a16 in mind is there still room for the a8? Anything what the older device probably does better than the new one?

Im able to buy one for arround 1,2k and since the a16 seems to become way more expensive than expected i really start to think about it. Good idea or not?
I don't think the A8 does anything better than the A16, but judging from what A8 owners wrote in the A8 thread it performs it's main function - virtualizing speakers over headphones - very good. You just have less channels, no built-in decoders, less connection options and features, and only horizontal head-tracking.
If I had to choose at this point between paying 1,2k (US$?) for an A8 (and have it right now) or US$ 3995 + taxes for an A16 (and having to wait until it's available) then the A8 would be very tempting. At the moment most of my program material is stereo or 5.1, some 7.1 and just a handfull Atmos titles. So the extra channels and new formats of the A16 are just a nice bonus but not at all essential to me.
My only concerns would be: how long will it keep on working and can I get it serviced (affordable) if needed?
By the way: if you would later get your hands on a device that can decode the 3D audio formats and downmix it to for example 4.0.4 or 5.1.2 you could use the A8 with a 4.0.4 or 5.1.2 PRIR... (Note: you can measure and virtualize speakers in any position you want.)

Sep 12, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #3,594 of 16,074
My birthday is in October, but nevermind thank you very much for your dedication to keep us updated regarding the A16 progress from your french dealer.
no worries mate, you got a birthday every year.
"always look on the bright side of life" whistle whistle

the message about certification soon on the way is now an unhumorous running gag.

Sep 12, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #3,595 of 16,074
no worries mate, you got a birthday every year.
"always look on the bright side of life" whistle whistle

the message about certification soon on the way is now an unhumorous running gag.
I am not worrying, :)
Actually i am quite happy reading the news from the French dealer. Smyth Research is really making progress and if they can deliver it before Christmas even better.

Sep 12, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #3,597 of 16,074

"Winter is coming

Gilles Gérin"
Thank you so much!

Sep 15, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #3,599 of 16,074
I'm here to check on this thread.
I'd like to ask if everything is going properly with production of the crowdfunding units (apart from the obvious delays)?

I've read frightening rumors that this project - like many other crowdfunding projects - might not see the light of the day.

I'm just waiting for it to be normally available for us who missed the pre-order campaign.

Sep 15, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #3,600 of 16,074
I'm here to check on this thread.
I'd like to ask if everything is going properly with production of the crowdfunding units (apart from the obvious delays)?

I've read frightening rumors that this project - like many other crowdfunding projects - might not see the light of the day.

I'm just waiting for it to be normally available for us who missed the pre-order campaign.
Ha ha, dangerous place here to ask that question. All kinds of opinions will be offered. Personally I trust it will all be ok in the end, although a lot later than I was expecting.
You do know that the normal retail price will be $3995,- plus taxes? Quite a difference with the first kickstarter price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back