Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jun 18, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #2,927 of 15,986
Vaporware? People keep using that word. I do not think it means what they think it means. This is version 2 of an existing actual product, and they have a working prototype of the new model. Product development delays =/= vaporware.

Yes actually, until they release it to those who paid for it over a year ago, it is. Vaporware can have prototypes galore, but as long as something is advertised, with a moving release date, that's exactly what it is.

We also know that the A8 was released, and the prototypes of the A16 actually work, so they at least aren't just a concept. However, they knew full well last year that they wouldn't be releasing it at any of the announced release dates. There's being unrealistically positive, there's being completely naive, and then there's not being exactly truthful. I'll let you decide what happened.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2018 at 12:55 AM Post #2,928 of 15,986
Will be interesting to see if the Dolby stopping/preventing DTX/Auro upmixing of Atmos has any effect on the certification or delivered product etc.

Jun 18, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #2,930 of 15,986
Perhaps, realistic timeframes are not appreciated here........:triportsad:
Obviously your suggested timeframes are not realistic either, and I expect mine will be closer to correct. Yes I know you are trying to be humorous.

Two things are for sure: If I had kept the $1500 in the bank rather than backing, it wouldn't be worth $4000 by the time the A16 is released. Secondly I would be at the back of the queue for one rather than near the front. :ksc75smile:

Jun 19, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #2,931 of 15,986
Obviously your suggested timeframes are not realistic either, and I expect mine will be closer to correct. Yes I know you are trying to be humorous.

Two things are for sure: If I had kept the $1500 in the bank rather than backing, it wouldn't be worth $4000 by the time the A16 is released. Secondly I would be at the back of the queue for one rather than near the front. :ksc75smile:
Nobody could have said it better.
Everyone will be very happy once the A16 arrives, especially the ones who paid the minimum price.

Jun 19, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #2,932 of 15,986
Ditto. I'd have a hard time justifying the price if I hadn't pre-ordered.

Vaporware? People keep using that word. I do not think it means what they think it means. This is version 2 of an existing actual product, and they have a working prototype of the new model. Product development delays =/= vaporware.

I know what vaporware means. Smyth has been showing a prototype that is related to the A8, which is "the existing product." The A16 is not a version 2. Smyth has admitted that even the the prototype is not finished.

Three definitions of "vaporware":

"a computer-related product that has been widely advertised but has not and may never become available." ]merriam-webster.com]

"In the computer industry, vaporware (alt. vapourware) is a product, typically computer hardware or software, that is announced to the general public but is never actually manufactured nor officially cancelled. Use of the word has broadened to include products such as automobiles." [from Wikipedia]

"Computer Slang. a product, especially software, that is promoted or marketed while it is still in development and that may never be produced." [dictionary.com

Jun 19, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #2,933 of 15,986
People paid $1500? I thought I got in pretty early. But didnt pay that little. That's for sure.

Jun 19, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #2,934 of 15,986
People paid $1500? I thought I got in pretty early. But didnt pay that little. That's for sure.
I paid 841 pounds including 50 pounds for a second headtracker and shipping to Australia. Which is not much over $1100 USD. :gs1000smile:

Having paid over $3000 AUD for the A8 I knew it was a screaming bargain when I got James email about the kickstarter. I was there waiting to pledge when it went live. Apparently I'm backer number 9. :L3000:

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #2,935 of 15,986
Think it was $US1,810.00 that I paid (pre-order, not kickstarter) for the unit plus another tracker.

That price was justifiable to me at the time given the specs, options AND relatively short time until delivery,
(Ordered/paid deposit in Feb 2017 - deliveries expected to start in May 2017)

I'm not personally worried about the price, and am realistic about the delays.
I am pretty annoyed by the lack of communication, Smyth setting new "soft" targets when they do actually communicate that they fail to keep and the non-existence of any word from them on what we should expect moving forward.

The last update from them was the most realistic and informative one in a long time.
Some issues and delays explained, units ready for certification mid June, certs completing end of July, early August.
Again though - those are more soft targets from Smyth and over a month old.
Going by prior performance I'd not be surprised to hear that the units should be ready for certification in 3-4 weeks with the next update we get. (I think they've been going in for certification in 3-4 weeks since last year lol)

I would like to see another update letting us know if those targets are on track (they should be in certification now), the issues encountered at CanJam have been sorted, firmware finally finalised (was another moving soft target with no progress in earlier updates) etc.

Paying deposit was never an issue.
Paying final payment (July 2017) with delivery expected within a couple of months was never an issue.
Paying final payment, being told that delivery would be within a couple of months and then nothing solid for almost 12 months now.............

From their last update the units should definitely be going under certification by now.
Anyone want to put money down on that not being the case?
3-4 weeks going to be in the next update for that? :p
Firmware and UI to be finalised shortly? :p

New website for new partnership - details and pics of the A16 are of the old version - not the current/final one, includes specs that aren't in the version that's going to ship.

Don't get me wrong - am still excited and looking forward to the arrival of the A16, but can see the point of those who are showing concerns or aren't 100% happy, wrapped and gushing with praise for the progress and treatment of the way the sale has proceeded.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 6:03 AM Post #2,936 of 15,986
I'm not personally worried about the price, and am realistic about the delays.
I am pretty annoyed by the lack of communication
That almost exactly sums up my feelings.
Only one thing I have to add:
Boy oh boy, it is all gonna be so worth it once we have the thing in our homes!
[Edit: I payed roughly 2000 Euro's including second headtracker and 20% VAT, but consider that still a good deal. I did not know about the whole thing in time to get a lower price.]

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #2,937 of 15,986

I need to start using your bank. They would have to be paying 63% interest for $1500 to become $4000 in two years.

Edit: I now see that you said "wouldn't be", so we are in agreement. :)

I paid just under $1000USD.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #2,939 of 15,986
Don't get me wrong - am still excited and looking forward to the arrival of the A16,

I have never heard any Smyth product. I needed to upgrade my AVR as I was moving to 4k. I was actually looking to see if any of the receiver manufactures has come up with some thing new for headphones when I came across info about the A-8 and I got excited. The youtube video made it look like they had a working prototype and all their talk was about shipping soon, so it looked like a gamble but not a reckless one to sign up to the preorder. Since then it appears Smyth has run out of money and had to do a deal to finish it. How much time did they spend doing the deal rather than finishing the product? They and their new partner have conveniently moved the assets to a separate company so if it goes tits up neither Smyth or their partner's company can be touched legally. Just fold the company and call it a day. All the excitement I once had is completely gone. If they were any where close to having it ready they would have some one out pimping it to magazines, web sites and pretty well any one who would listen. They aren't. They aren't even taking preorders. Hell they aren't even talking to us. None of this screams confidence.

Jun 20, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #2,940 of 15,986
Since then it appears Smyth has run out of money and had to do a deal to finish it.

How much time did they spend doing the deal rather than finishing the product?

They and their new partner have conveniently moved the assets to a separate company so if it goes tits up neither Smyth or their partner's company can be touched legally. Just fold the company and call it a day.

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion.

That is not the way I see it.

I guess all units for kickstarter and early pre-orders are already built and had its hardware tested, only awaiting certification to be programmed.

Since kickstarter campaign a lot of research about virtual reality progressed in competitors. And Smyth is probably following closely.

Mike and Stephen Smyth are not industrialists, but researchers.

Siwei Zou may contribute with capital, but imho his best contribution might be with expertise dealing with Chinese providers to achieve an efficient industrialization, allowing Smyth free to continue with research and product development.

Both Stephen and Siwei have history and reputation in the professional audio industry. And without a seemless way to acquire a HRTF, the A16 is still more appealing to the pro market than consumer market. So failing to deliver the kickstarter and early preorders means giving up that reputation and imho that is invaluable.

Of course all of that is just my guess.

Maybe I am naive or wrong.

I still think it will be an unique product.

Dr. Choueiri's BACCH4Mac Audiophile+, the only solution with equivalent performance, costs USD5980 and you have to add a Mac...

Cheers!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back