Smyth Research Realiser A16
Apr 11, 2018 at 2:16 AM Post #2,491 of 16,057
tumblr_m45bpo9rMN1r1bpyn.gif

source.gif

cb3983df-a30c-4fb0-80d1-ac7ead108bc4~rs_768.h

Apr 11, 2018 at 3:28 AM Post #2,492 of 16,057
Honestly, since the whole hardware has arrived, i don't see how they could justify another delay when it's only about software. I only need a 1.0 version that would allow me to do the basics, watching my movies with the PRIR i made in Paris in October 2016. It can be improved later via software updates...
They have experience with the A8, so it's hard to imagine that there would be such a massive software issue that could block the Dolby/DTS certifications...
I didn't get any answer from James Smyth (and it's not the first time i get an unanswered email unfortunately)

Apr 11, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #2,493 of 16,057
Honestly, since the whole hardware has arrived, i don't see how they could justify another delay when it's only about software. I only need a 1.0 version that would allow me to do the basics, watching my movies with the PRIR i made in Paris in October 2016. It can be improved later via software updates...
They have experience with the A8, so it's hard to imagine that there would be such a massive software issue that could block the Dolby/DTS certifications...
I didn't get any answer from James Smyth (and it's not the first time i get an unanswered email unfortunately)

This. As long as they are taking the wise approach of just trying to ship the 1.0 firmware with the essential functions of the A16, two months shouldn’t be unrealistic. They seem to have what appears from the outside at least as a pretty functional beta firmware that they used at CanJam. The problem would be if they start having issues with scope creep. Hopefully they are operating to just finish a basic 1.0 and add new features that they may want via firmware updates in the future.

Apr 11, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #2,494 of 16,057
I can see this becoming an ambiguity that people read into later, so I need to clarify what "compressed" meant to me when listening to the dolby atmos surround audio tracks:
1. The overall sense of 360 degree space was tighter than the speakers
2. The actual music had a hollowed-out sound, like the eq had sucked the original audio source and squeezed it - this is where my issue with music playback came from. Coming from multiple high end headphone and stereo setups over the years, I know what accurate vs inaccurate music reproduction sounds like (and more directly, what the a16 over headphones vs. the Yamaha monitors in the room sounded like side by side during the demo). Sound effects from movies sounded fun and immersive to me (coming from a non-headphone-using-movie-viewer) and I still see this being a great product for movie watchers.
Once again, remember that this was for surround tracks only, they didn't offer any traditional stereo recordings to see how that performs.
OK, the first time your message was 'Emperor is naked!' and now you clarified it to 'Emperor is naked and ugly!". That part was quite clear to me without any clarifications. What is totally unclear to me is your implicit opinion that it may be normal for the 16-channel immersive (probably HD) recording to sound compressed, tight, hollowed-out, sucked and squeezed. But when the same processor device is given 2-channel non-HD recording, you allow the possibility of much better sound!?!
If I am correct that is 1050 Euros? Wow, I paid over 2000 Euros for mine (including 2nd headtracker, shipping and 20% VAT), I'd love to have a second A16 for 1050 Euros! You, like the other kickstarters, really have a marvelous deal!
Of course for many practical reasons it is better for you to sell it to someone in your own area, and you will be able to get a better price.
But I am convinced you will be overwhelmed by the Realiser to.
Yes, it was something like that, maybe a bit more, since the GBP rate at that time in my country was 9 and now it is 8,5. Probably similar proportion applies to EUR too. Anyway, I'm sorry you had to pay so much more than me, but at the same time I'm glad my price turns out attractive to you. Only, my dear colleague, your firm positive attitude regarding Realiser acts against such a deal! It is true I didn't succeed in provoking a more numerous confrontation of 'pro' and 'con' experiences, but so far I give priority to your positive evaluation.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #2,496 of 16,057
I really don't understand why we got so little feedback from CanJam ???

Only two short reviews here and not a single press article :frowning2:

This is rather disappointing !
Yes I was wondering about the same thing, since there were lots of slots booked for A16 audition, also i would have loved to see some YouTube videos of the action. There are few from previous demonstrations years ago.

Apr 11, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #2,497 of 16,057
Actually it would still be a 3d simulation, you would hear how a stereo pair of speakers sounds in a 3d space.

Yes of course. This is what I am after and would be the first in line for just this wo all the hardware and software bells and whistles. Would pay well for files associated with a number of the high end stereo speaker setups at a manufacturer or dealer site if they would be open to this (and would they and at what price?).

Apr 11, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #2,501 of 16,057
I really don't understand why we got so little feedback from CanJam ???

Only two short reviews here and not a single press article :frowning2:

This is rather disappointing !

Thank you very much, @kp297, for the impressions and interview! Valuable info:

CanJam Socal 2018 Impressions
Bharat Patel, Kishore Patel

Preface

My name is Bharat Patel (age 61), and I am an engineer with over four decades of experience. What intrigues me in audio is the technical innovations behind them, such as material design, unique software technologies (eg DSP, head tracking function etc). It’s an incredibly exciting time to get into this hobby, and I hope this write-up can help others on their audio journey.

(...)

Smyth Research

As I left the seminar room I heard bursts of very high frequency sound emulating from one of the studios. The sound came from the Smyth Research studio, luckily, I had an appointment with them, so I walked in.

I noticed as I entered the room there were 16 speakers arranged in surround sound configuration. I sat down and was asked to insert a small microphone in each ear. A high frequency sound was sequentially emitted by each speaker three times once from the center position, then left position and then to right. This calibration process took less then 2 minutes.

I was then asked to pick one of the title on the TV screen, I chose Game of Thrones. The purpose of this demonstration was if one could distinguish between the 16 speaker set up and the headphones set up. A green light above the TV monitor and the headset was positioned so that when headphones are worn, the the sound source comes out of the headset. However when it is removed, the speakers come back on. The idea is to compare the two different modes of listening. Therefore, if I am hearing the game of thrones in a 16-channel configuration through the headphones as soon as I remove the headset the 16 speakers come on. At the end of the demonstration I could not tell the difference between 16 channel speaker system and a 16-channel headphone system. They are identical, it’s an amazing technology, and with enormous potential. I was fascinated by this technology, and had the opportunity to interview Steven Smyth to discuss the technologies of the Realizer A16, and how they can impact the audio industry.

(...)

Interviews

Apr 13, 2018 at 12:39 AM Post #2,503 of 16,057
Interestingly, it appears that head tracker technology is now "de rigueur" in this year's products from multiple vendors.
I was telling my nephew about the A16. He's an EDM musician and "plays the Mac" (among many other real instruments).

He forwarded me this video clip:

Mixing on Headphones with Waves Nx Virtual Mix Room Plugin

which once again displays the now ubiquitous head tracker technology being applied everywhere. This application echoes exactly the justification for why professional audio people would use an A8/A16 having captured their own mixing studio sound via PRIR, and then bring it home to continue working on things like mixing, but through headphones at their bedroom desk.

Apr 13, 2018 at 5:58 AM Post #2,504 of 16,057

Does it allow PRIR measurements?

The bacch-dsp for Mac includes xtc for loudspeakers playback, PRIR measurement, headphone equalization, Ambisonics mixing (compatible with YouTube) and head tracking (integrated MAC web cam or optional web cam for advanced performance), but it comes with higher price tag:

7ACF6B53-0568-4BF1-959B-9F730AF32949.jpeg

3F9ED773-75B4-4058-8C57-8E34ADECBCF3.jpeg

Apr 13, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #2,505 of 16,057
I was telling my nephew about the A16. He's an EDM musician and "plays the Mac" (among many other real instruments).

Mixing on Headphones with Waves Nx Virtual Mix Room Plugin

which once again displays the now ubiquitous head tracker technology being applied everywhere. This application echoes exactly the justification for why professional audio people would use an A8/A16 having captured their own mixing studio sound via PRIR, and then bring it home to continue working on things like mixing, but through headphones at their bedroom desk.

The only problem is that Nx again applies an averaged HRTF that can be adjusted only a little by parameters such as circumference, etc. It is as good as all the other solutions that have seen the light of day - which means unsuitable for mixing due to the requirement of linear frequency response, which can only be achieved if your individual ears were measured. If you or your nephew are serious about 3D audio, I would rather look at the A16 (channel-based), Bacch DSP (also channel-based) or IDA Audio or 3D Sound Labs (the latter two are based on 3D head scans; either done by a structured light 3D scanner or by photogrammetry with your smartphone). HRTF modeling or direct measurement in an anechoic room are the only solutions for full 3D audio (i.e. higher order Ambisonics).However, I still got to test the two aforementioned products myself.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back