Smyth Research Realiser A16
Apr 10, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #2,476 of 16,011
We need a product similar to the Smyth device that is completely focused on simulation of very high quality 2-channel music reproduction. I, like some others here, have no interest in special effects (explosions, gunfire, thunder, automobile noise) being located accurately in front, behind, or to the side of me.

If you captured a really good 2 channel setup with the Realiser and played 2 channel music through the Realiser wouldn’t that achieve what you are asking for?

Apr 10, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #2,477 of 16,011
If you captured a really good 2 channel setup with the Realiser and played 2 channel music through the Realiser wouldn’t that achieve what you are asking for?

This. I listen to two-channel music through my A8 all the time. In that case, the unused channels are irrelevant (just like if you're playing a 7.1 movie on the A16, the unused channels would be irrelevant). What matters is the quality of the system that's captured.

Apr 10, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #2,478 of 16,011
We need a product similar to the Smyth device that is completely focused on simulation of very high quality 2-channel music reproduction. I, like some others here, have no interest in special effects (explosions, gunfire, thunder, automobile noise) being located accurately in front, behind, or to the side of me.
Then you are in the wrong thread.
Let the movie began:)

Apr 10, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #2,481 of 16,011
Anyone using the Philips Fidelio X2 for movies? I have the AKG712 Pro right now... good soundstage. Bass is OK but not slamming bass for movies.

Apr 10, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #2,482 of 16,011
by nature the process is the same no matter how many channels or speakers. you have a position, you have your ears, you record with the mics in them at that position respective to the speaker, then again with the headphone, and they work out the compensation you need. each channel becomes a virtual speaker. if you calibrate on 2 and use stereo music, well that's that you have a simulation of your 2 speakers in that room. they can't add pretty flowers and call it audiophile. well they can but it won't make the sound better. the quality of the convolution has mostly to do with the quality of the calibration. well calibrated mics, well placed in the hears, you looking at the right positions, no crappy sound while doing the calibration...
I'm sure someone will get into this and make some 32/192 stereo with giga clock, megataps, massive impulses that last for 3 days and you'll need all the processing of google computers to deal with it almost in real time but still not fast enough to go unnoticed. but really if your room was noisy while doing the calibration or you didn't place the mics or headphones well, the result will still suck.
I'd like to think that if there was a clear consistent issue with the sound, most testimonies would be about it and not about how bamboozled they were by the demo. there is always the possibility that most people are so impressed by the gimmicks that they don't focus on sound quality, but it's not my first guess given how obsessive most audiophiles usually are about sound and how readily available the direct comparison is in the demo. I would rather put Bombay's experience as a "crap happens" situation where something went wrong for some reason. and that would be my first guess. if only a guess.

Apr 10, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #2,483 of 16,011
I can see this becoming an ambiguity that people read into later, so I need to clarify what "compressed" meant to me when listening to the dolby atmos surround audio tracks:
1. The overall sense of 360 degree space was tighter than the speakers
Aha, I thought you were talking about purely dynamic compression. But you meant compressed space? Now that convinces me something must have gone wrong with your calibration. I must admit that in my demo I was a bit overwhelmed and because of that I may not have payed attention to all aspects of sound quality. (But there surely was no obvious difference. I said that at one point I thought there could have been a ever so slight difference in sound colour, possibly imagined because of a small volume difference, or caused by a small displacement of the headphones during the HPEQ measurement. I later remembered that indeed after manually adjusting the headphone volume the - ever so slight - sound colour difference seemed to have gone away.)
But the reason why I was overwhelmed was precisely because the spatial aspects - that also were my main object of focus - where so spot on realistic, the sound coming from outside, from a distance, the same - and the same distance - as with the speakers!

Apr 10, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #2,485 of 16,011
But, you wouldn't be ready to pay 915 GBP for it, would you?
If I am correct that is 1050 Euros? Wow, I paid over 2000 Euros for mine (including 2nd headtracker, shipping and 20% VAT), I'd love to have a second A16 for 1050 Euros! You, like the other kickstarters, really have a marvelous deal!
Of course for many practical reasons it is better for you to sell it to someone in your own area, and you will be able to get a better price.
But I am convinced you will be overwhelmed by the Realiser to.

Apr 10, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #2,486 of 16,011
Soon, haven't you heard the great news? Around june shipping:)

"Couplamonths" was the verbal indication given to one member when he asked, putting the guestimate roughly around June.

Take it with the same grain of salt as the August, December and other "couplamonths" timeframes already given previously.

Update a few months ago they had everything lined up ready to go and would be shipping out review units to suppliers and reviewers shortly,

Certification that was expected before Christmas still isn't through.

UI that was nearly finalised still isn't through.

Not trying to sound negative, just realistic.

All the ducks could line up tomorrow for all we know and they could be shipping before the end of the week.

Until they update with a firm shipping date, prepare to be disappointed if you allow yourself to get too excited.

Apr 10, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #2,487 of 16,011
Your points are well taken. Seems like a streamlined product focused on high quality 2d stereo simulation without all the bells and whistles is what I am after. Ultimately, maybe it could be built directly into headphones.
Actually it would still be a 3d simulation, you would hear how a stereo pair of speakers sounds in a 3d space.

Apr 10, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #2,488 of 16,011
Come on guys!! I know it’s been a long wait but the wait is coming to an end. Can jam should give us a little piece of mind. Have some optimism in these final months! Its going to be incredible. It’s weird seeing so much negativity and pessimism coursing through these last few pages.

Apr 10, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #2,489 of 16,011
We have been hearing 2 more months for way to long for me to believe it. I am personally putting the odds of the device being delivered, getting a PIR done and being able to do a movie marathon over the Xmas break at 50%. I haven't seen The Last Jedi yet. I was going to wait for the realizer to show up then give myself a treat and break it in that way. Now I'm just going to throw it on and listen in stereo this weekend. Then I am going to start looking for some thing else or maybe a deal on a used A-8. Summer is a write off but I want some thing in place for when winter hits. Will the A-16 ship some day? Probably, but there sure doesn't seem to be any urgency about it.

Apr 10, 2018 at 11:48 PM Post #2,490 of 16,011
We have been hearing 2 more months for way to long for me to believe it. I am personally putting the odds of the device being delivered, getting a PIR done and being able to do a movie marathon over the Xmas break at 50%. I haven't seen The Last Jedi yet. I was going to wait for the realizer to show up then give myself a treat and break it in that way. Now I'm just going to throw it on and listen in stereo this weekend. Then I am going to start looking for some thing else or maybe a deal on a used A-8. Summer is a write off but I want some thing in place for when winter hits. Will the A-16 ship some day? Probably, but there sure doesn't seem to be any urgency about it.

J. Villain has a point as I was told something similar at last year's Axpona exhibition. However, they are much further along since then, so I would put more stock in the recent report. At the same time I wouldn't bank on a couple of months. It does seem like we're getting there though. I'm sure no one wants to release the Realiser more than the Smyths, and that they are doing everything in their control to get it out. This isn't vaporware from an unknown, unexperienced entity. We will have it and I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

Till then, I know it doesn't work for everybody, but OOYH has been keeping me sane during the waiting period. I'm going to watch Last Jedi with it tonight.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back