Smyth Research Realiser A16
Oct 14, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #12,466 of 16,011
With EQL20 Stephen says you should lower each band so that you can't hear it and then increase the volume so that you just barely can hear it. You need a quiet room for this.
So no comparison between bands but the hearing threshold is used.
Could you develop this technique bc it might be interesting and useful for ppl like me who feel that they will loose their ears when trying the EQL80 bc of the loudness at the higher freq...

Oct 14, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #12,467 of 16,011
AFAIK, no KS orders have been delivered since last October - that's right, a year ago. There are still a few (<20?) KS orders to go before the preorders. Smyth have A16s in stock but are currently reserving them for customers paying full price. I finally gave up and boosted my preorder to a retail purchase - ordered on a Friday, received the next Tuesday.
How much did you make up for?

Oct 15, 2021 at 12:13 AM Post #12,468 of 16,011
Preorder was $1670 USD, retail price is $4000, so I paid another $2330 plus $70 shipping plus $140 for a second head tracker.
One reason I went ahead was because I was concerned that they might raise the price further.

Oct 15, 2021 at 3:11 AM Post #12,470 of 16,011
does A16 allow both digital out and HPA to be active simultaneously?
I think the normal signal is output simultaneously at the front HP socket, the digital out and the and the analogue RCA sockets at the back BUT as I said I think the HPEQ signals are only output at the front HPA socket. I'm not sure but I think it's written somewhere, haven't tested it yet.
That would be a bit of a problem, you had to use a splittee and other adapters etc.
Or you record the noise bands, play them from an external source. You'll just need one amp with a dB scale for setting the volume of one of the headphones for each band and write the numbers down and dial them in afterwards into the manLOUD procedure.

Oct 15, 2021 at 4:08 AM Post #12,471 of 16,011
Also, in the context of measurements, but somewhat different. I’m concerned about carrying out another set of PRIR measurements since I still have two KEF R3 speakers, one SVS SB-2000 subwoofer and a miniDSP DDRC-24.

Each KEF R3 speaker has four threaded holes drilled in the base. Most probably, those threaded holes were provided to fit with speaker stands. One KEF R3 speaker weighs 13.5 kg. I’m afraid that lifting such a speaker at roughly 2 metres height from the ground in a tilted position would be quite a challenge. Previously, for the PRIRs corresponding to the ceiling mounted speakers, I used the top of a bookcase.

I’ve been looking to find someone to manufacture two custom-made tilting adapters to be used with two tripod stands. Finally, I found the skilled person and the photo of the two custom-made adapters is attached.

Unfortunately, my PRIR measurements have to wait for a while as I’ve got a laboratory-confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection.

Attachments

• Tilting.adapter.jpg
    Tilting.adapter.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Oct 15, 2021 at 6:16 AM Post #12,472 of 16,011
Unfortunately, my PRIR measurements have to wait for a while as I’ve got a laboratory-confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection.
I'm sorry, I hope you have a full recovery soon!

Oct 15, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #12,474 of 16,011
I would also be interested to know how to create these measurements @KMann
I have mentioned it in one of my prior posts. All you will need is your A16 and USB cable and REW. I have tried it only on windows, but I think it should work on Mac too.

1. Disable SVS 24Ch in the miscellaneous settings of your A16
  2. Set the input source on your A16 to USB
  3. Install the A16 USB driver from here, it also installs the ASIO drivers.
  4. Once installed and your PC sees A16, open REW and set the driver to ASIO and device to 'Realiser A16'.
  5. Now you should have access to up to 16 channels.
  6. Then you can go over to the measurement button to start measurements.
  7. You can also go to the signal Generator button if you want to just play sweeps or pink noise to test the HPEQ by your ears to give you some idea of what you may want to adjust before going through man Loud.
Note that the USB (at least on my PC) can be a bit finicky. Everything would work as long as you A16 is in playback mode (i.e, you did not press 'Test' or open one of the 'apps' in A16 for measurement or do not change a system setting. IF you do one of these, the USB connection will be lost. You will have to close REW and restart A16 to get the USB connection back.

1634302751939.png

Also apply 1/6th octave smoothing or Psychoacoustic smoothing to the measurements

1634304156004.png

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #12,476 of 16,011
Oct 16, 2021 at 1:58 AM Post #12,479 of 16,011
So I've been wanting this ever since I heard about back as an A8 years ago. I use headphones to watch movies and media at night after the family goes to bed and the idea of well executed surround sound is just what I want. I'm seeing a few used a8 or a16 models floating around here and there.

Honestly though, is this something ya'll would even recommend looking into at this time? Based on reading a lot of this thread I'm seeing a massive learning curve, lack of support with the exchange, and difficulty setting it up for my specific PRIR.

Would you do it again? Is it worth it? I highly doubt I'll be able to jump in the car and drive to a fancy sound treated atmos surround studio to take measurements anytime soon...

Oct 16, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #12,480 of 16,011
So I've been wanting this ever since I heard about back as an A8 years ago. I use headphones to watch movies and media at night after the family goes to bed and the idea of well executed surround sound is just what I want. I'm seeing a few used a8 or a16 models floating around here and there.

Honestly though, is this something ya'll would even recommend looking into at this time? Based on reading a lot of this thread I'm seeing a massive learning curve, lack of support with the exchange, and difficulty setting it up for my specific PRIR.

Would you do it again? Is it worth it? I highly doubt I'll be able to jump in the car and drive to a fancy sound treated atmos surround studio to take measurements anytime soon...
If you find a fellow headfi friend who is willing to go through the process with you (if could be even Zoom but in person is much better) it is a very nice experience. In my case @sander99 took the rather short trip over to me and we had a nice afternoon / evening carrying around speakers, prepping the room to sound best and helping each other with the inEar mic placements and doing the step by step measurements on the A16. So, yes I would do it again.
We also did 2.0 only and to be honest if you change the two speakers in the pre-installed A16 rooms it is already a day and night difference. So a rather „simple“ 2.0 measurement will do so much for you. And as it is much easier and quicker you do not need to be afraid.
@sander99 are discussing since a long time to do at least 5.1 measurement and I think it will be awesome.
Also here in Germany the A16 distributor offers via its website the https://for-tune.de/smyth-research/ 5.1 to Atmos measurements. They cost between 700 and 1200 EUR. And the French A16 community headed by Gilles is very active and he even offers a much cheaper measurement in a home cinema setting. I have read here that in the US this kind of service also existed but no news about this so far. Maybe fellow headfiers could chime in? I guess in the US are many more A16 owners.

As I use my A16 in my computer setup often (my job as a Pilates teacher does not require daily computer work) for listening in 2.0 to music while working I can vouch how more pleasant listening in a „natural“ loudspeaker setup via the A16 is.
So, yes, if you can afford to get an A16, get one. I personally would not go for the A8 vor many reasons (e.g. an A8 will probably need repair sooner or later and sending it to the UK for repair is a costly exercise).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back