Smyth Research Realiser A16
Oct 13, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #12,436 of 16,050
DEEPL also offers a free 30 day trial for the starter and advanced editions. After that, it’s $6.99 and $22.99 per month for each, respectively. I plan to hold out until Gilles’s updated manual is released.

BTW, Club Realiser can only be renewed “manually” so you can’t be automatically charged for renewal because you just plain forgot to unsubscribe.
Plus if you upload your PRIR or comment on other‘s PRIR the subscription for the following year becomes free.

Oct 13, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #12,437 of 16,050
If the Smyths ever release their version of the Exchange site there is an option that some may find pretty cool...
you will be able to take PRIRs and perform a " Merge Files " where you will be able to create rooms and mix different virtual speakers into a new PRIR...

Oct 13, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #12,438 of 16,050
If the Smyths ever release their version of the Exchange site there is an option that some may find pretty cool...
you will be able to take PRIRs and perform a " Merge Files " where you will be able to create rooms and mix different virtual speakers into a new PRIR...

Is this different from the "Composite PRIR Builder" feature added in firmware 2.00?

"Building Composite PRIRs
A composite PRIR builder application has been added to better manage PRIR files in general. The
composite application can extract up to 35 virtual speakers from pre-existing PRIRs located in the A16’s
internal directory and create a new PRIR file comprising these speakers."

Oct 13, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #12,439 of 16,050
Its probably the same, one being on the exchange site as an option and the other being in the A16.... It seems it would be the same result... I think on the exchange site you will be able to chose the virtual speakers and preview the PRIR before you down load it... so you could actually build a custom merged PRIR remotely without needing the A16 in the area... so I guess you could build a PRIR from your office then go home after work and download the PRIR to your A16...

Oct 13, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #12,440 of 16,050
Building a composite PRIR is a pain getting all the speaker configuration correctly, a web interface that has some bit of intelligence built in to help which speakers need to be replaced will be better.

I am planning to replace the L and R channel of the 3DSoundShop BRIR with my personal PRIR and also drop the center channel, I plan to do this manually for the ATMS and PCM rooms by just manually selecting the individual channel. I have confirmed the levels are matched using measurements.

Oct 13, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #12,441 of 16,050
I am having trouble just hooking up my optical link from my source into the back of the A16 optical input and getting it to just play the audio. When I get to the part of the menu to choose audio source, it only allows the hdmi 1 to 4 options. Also, I have not upgraded my firmware recently...worried it would screw up things that are running well, but am wondering how the newest firmware is working for everyone and if the eARC is working out for everyone. Thanks

Oct 13, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #12,442 of 16,050
I am having trouble just hooking up my optical link from my source into the back of the A16 optical input and getting it to just play the audio. When I get to the part of the menu to choose audio source, it only allows the hdmi 1 to 4 options. Also, I have not upgraded my firmware recently...worried it would screw up things that are running well, but am wondering how the newest firmware is working for everyone and if the eARC is working out for everyone. Thanks
It's on page 2 of that menu.

Oct 13, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #12,443 of 16,050
You may have SVS 24Ch option on under the miscellaneous settings, you will have to turn it off to enable non HDMI sources.

Oct 13, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #12,444 of 16,050

Is this different from the "Composite PRIR Builder" feature added in firmware 2.00?

"Building Composite PRIRs
A composite PRIR builder application has been added to better manage PRIR files in general. The
composite application can extract up to 35 virtual speakers from pre-existing PRIRs located in the A16’s
internal directory and create a new PRIR file comprising these speakers."

Its probably the same, one being on the exchange site as an option and the other being in the A16.... It seems it would be the same result... I think on the exchange site you will be able to chose the virtual speakers and preview the PRIR before you down load it... so you could actually build a custom merged PRIR remotely without needing the A16 in the area... so I guess you could build a PRIR from your office then go home after work and download the PRIR to your A16...

The merge function on the exchange site and the composite PRIR builder are two completely different things.
The composite PRIR builder is just to combine virtual speakers from different PRIRs in to one PRIR, without changing the individual virtual speakers.
The merge function on the exchange site is about personalising a non personal PRIR (also called BRIR) of a high quality room with high quality speakers using a personal made PRIR of lower quality room and speakers, or even made using just a tweeter (because the individual differences in HRTF are mainly in the higher frequency range). Or in other words: create a new PRIR that combines the sound of the higher quality room and speakers with the better match to your personal HRTF of the personal made PRIR (not 100%, but improved).

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #12,445 of 16,050
I also have it set to downmix to stereo rather than applying surround processing in the player. With these settings, video works fine. However, when I play an Atmos movie, the A16 thinks it's getting two-channel PCM. Any idea how to fix this?
You should not let it downmix to stereo, that is exacly what causes it to sent two channel PCM to the A16.

Oct 13, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #12,447 of 16,050
The merge function on the exchange site and the composite PRIR builder are two completely different things.
The composite PRIR builder is just to combine virtual speakers from different PRIRs in to one PRIR, without changing the individual virtual speakers.
The merge function on the exchange site is about personalising a non personal PRIR (also called BRIR) of a high quality room with high quality speakers using a personal made PRIR of lower quality room and speakers, or even made using just a tweeter (because the individual differences in HRTF are mainly in the higher frequency range). Or in other words: create a new PRIR that combines the sound of the higher quality room and speakers with the better match to your personal HRTF of the personal made PRIR (not 100%, but improved).
I like that explanation much better... :wink:

Oct 13, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #12,448 of 16,050
I haven't been here for several months, so I do not know what has changed since I last took a peek in here. Have all the Kickstarter orders been fulfilled yet? I pre-ordered so I was waiting for the kickstarter folks to be served before even recalibrating my expectations. Are there any A-16s being shipped to KS or pre-order customers at the moment, or are things still same old same old?

Oct 13, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #12,449 of 16,050
I haven't been here for several months, so I do not know what has changed since I last took a peek in here. Have all the Kickstarter orders been fulfilled yet? I pre-ordered so I was waiting for the kickstarter folks to be served before even recalibrating my expectations. Are there any A-16s being shipped to KS or pre-order customers at the moment, or are things still same old same old?
AFAIK, no KS orders have been delivered since last October - that's right, a year ago. There are still a few (<20?) KS orders to go before the preorders. Smyth have A16s in stock but are currently reserving them for customers paying full price. I finally gave up and boosted my preorder to a retail purchase - ordered on a Friday, received the next Tuesday.

Oct 13, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #12,450 of 16,050
Sort of the same. Now and then someone reports to have ordered full price or payed the difference with full price for an existing order and got it within a week.
And DTS has been certified, a new firmware version "is imminent" (Smyth words), but you have to pay an extra $199,- (if I am not mistaken) to activate DTS (including DTS X). @dsperber had his A16 repaired and back within a few days (customer #1 is customer #1 after all) with firmware 2.04 and DTS activated.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back