Smyth Research Realiser A16
Dec 23, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #10,996 of 15,987
What about their DAC AK4414EQ from AKM according to their documentation from 2016 ; provided the info is still up to date of course.
That DAC is not on a component made by MDS. I've circled the two PCBs supplied by MDS on the block diagram below in red, and the part (I suspect it's just a pre-programmed IC, not a PCB) supplied by Ploytech in blue. Everything else the Smyths have designed themselves, as far as I know.
block-smyth-realiser.png

Dec 23, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #10,997 of 15,987
Sorry, this pretty much a simple question but really do not know how to get past it.
So, after admittedly quite a long time I wanted to use my Smyth Realiser A16 for watching some video via Netflix on my iPad. Latest camera adapter, plus lightning power.
No sound.
FiiO M11 coax in, no sound.
Both tested on my Soul DAC & headphone amplifier. Works.
Also used the “Test” button on the A16, No problem at all.
A16 always says no SPDIF Signal or nor USB signal.
Also scrolled through many profiles. Re-loaded everything. Nothing. Nada.
Any ideas?
You might need to get an apple AV adapter and run hdmi from that to A16.

Apple Lightning to Digital AV Adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009WHV3BM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_hhNUFbM2FABN4

I will try again with HDMI and my iPad Pro.
Anyhow, why is there no sound from my FiiO M11 coming out of the Smyth Realiser A16? In the past it worked.

Dec 24, 2020 at 1:43 AM Post #10,998 of 15,987
Really getting into the manLOUD feature lately because I have found that it also dramatically improves my own measurements. I am just not sure which curve to use as a starting point for the process, autoEQ or flatEQ? I read somewhere in this thread that for non-personal PRIRs you should use flatEQ but what about personal measurements? I have tried both and I think I had to do more adjustments for one of the two.

My own measurements always sound too bright and not "correct". Localisation is great but the speakers just sound off. This bummed me out quite a bit but then I tried the manLOUD procedure and the results are much, much better. Not sure what I am doing wrong with my measurements, mic placement is correct and all. I don't remember having the same problem with my A8, maybe the new mic's don't work as great for my ears. Anyway, I used a single speaker to create a full 9.0.6 measurement (using direct bass for the SW). Only problem is that I ended up with quite a lot of files, so really hoping that Smyth bring back the One measurement process from the A8.

Dec 24, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #10,999 of 15,987
I will try again with HDMI and my iPad Pro.
Anyhow, why is there no sound from my FiiO M11 coming out of the Smyth Realiser A16? In the past it worked.
Do you have the A16 working with other sources/inputs? For example analog stereo input? Have you installed a different firmware version since the last time it worked?

Only things I can think of now, probably you know, but just in case that you don't:

Since a certain firmware update (I don't remember which one) you can choose to select the input per preset (in the user A preset menu) or globally for all presets (in the main menu). If the on/off switch behind Audio Source in the main menu is on then you select the input here in the main menu. If the switch is off then you select the input per preset in the preset. If you don't know this it could be that you use the wrong input selector which does nothing.

I looked at the FiiO manual:
SPDIF Coaxial output:You can choose between DOP and D2p modes. In D2P mode,DSD will Converted to PCM output. In DOP mode, it will original output what you input(The amplifier should support DSD or there will be noise when you play DSD in DOP mode)
Make sure you have D2P mode selected (when playing DSD).

Dec 24, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #11,000 of 15,987
Do you have the A16 working with other sources/inputs? For example analog stereo input? Have you installed a different firmware version since the last time it worked?

Only things I can think of now, probably you know, but just in case that you don't:

Since a certain firmware update (I don't remember which one) you can choose to select the input per preset (in the user A preset menu) or globally for all presets (in the main menu). If the on/off switch behind Audio Source in the main menu is on then you select the input here in the main menu. If the switch is off then you select the input per preset in the preset. If you don't know this it could be that you use the wrong input selector which does nothing.

I looked at the FiiO manual:

Make sure you have D2P mode selected (when playing DSD).

Thanks.
No, I did not do any update.
And yes, I selected globally and also per preset Coax.

Have no DSD files so that can’t be the problem.

Need to test the stereo input.

Dec 25, 2020 at 8:03 AM Post #11,001 of 15,987
I preordered in Sept/October 2017. Preorder #226 is pretty late in the game, however one looks at it,

Guess it's good to have a realistic outlook then. The last time I asked how far into the Kickstarter units they were (which was in the middle of the board upgrades), I mentioned that at this rate, the preoder units won't even start until next summer. Then some poster mentioned that they would start much sooner than that, but what I was actually thinking was that I likely wouldn't get any notification about mine until July or August at best. I ordered mine June of 2017, so I guess I'm lower than #225, but no idea where.

Due to 2020 happening, this particular delay is entirely warranted though, and because of everything being closed down for the most part, or at least it not actually being safe to go to public places, I couldn't even really get a good PRIR until the pandemic is under control anyway, and we won't know how effective the vaccines are likely until Q2 at the earliest, and life won't return to a semblance of normalcy until Q3 probably. My only real concern with the A16 was that the preorder units wouldn't even all get shipped out at all due to a combination of the pandemic as well as funding. They were supposed to have started shipping at the end of 2017, and they didn't even begin until almost two years after that.

Dec 25, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #11,002 of 15,987
There are obviously several companies that the AKM fire impacted... I had a short discussion with the Fiio engineers as they are a bit idled by the lack of parts... my suggestion was to switch over to Burr Brown as the supplier going forward... would be a nice addition if the A16 ended up with a Burr Brown DAC... :)

Dec 25, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #11,004 of 15,987
Ho ho ho, merry christmas to you all!

Here are some infos from Stephen:

He says the financial situation of the company hasn't changed and they're making enough from normal sales to deliver KS and preorder units, but at a very slow rate.
There's a transition to new hardware, therefore the pause now.

I presented him our proposals (like extended warranty, Exchange site fee etc.) and they think about it.

Next big update will be dts-X and they have to charge a fee for that (around 200$). Otherwise they'd have to pay royalties for all sold units at once to dts.

So this is already one thing were A16 users can financially support the company if they want dts-X. If people are only streaming they won't need dts-X because streaming companies only work with Atmos.
dts-X Pro is also planned, this will cost an extra fee then.

A new wireless headtracker compatible for A16 AND A8 is also in development, with better battery life and easier battery replacement.

So good news for all who hate the 2nd cable, or use wireless headphones.

Actually with my experience with the old wireless A8 headtracker, I was one of those who opted for a wired headtracker instead.
Most people seriously listening to music over headphones use wired headphones and extra amps so I thought a second cable attached to the headphone cable won't bother much. Seems I was wrong.
Anyway some time in the future we may have a choice now.

Dec 25, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #11,005 of 15,987
Most people seriously listening to music over headphones use wired headphones and extra amps so I thought a second cable attached to the headphone cable won't bother much. Seems I was wrong.
Wireless headphones have become better. And I like the idea that I can just walk to the kitchen to get a drink from the fridge or something without having to take off my headphones and interrupt a piece of music or miss a part of what a news reader is telling...
And there is always the possibilty to keep wired headphones for more serious listening and get wireless headphones for more casual listening.
I never understood the Smyth logic for switching to wired: because the battery was difficult to replace, and you could not use the headtracker when it needed charging. Instead they could have made it such that you can attach a wire for charging only while using it at the same time and/or use an easy replaceable battery and charge one while you use another.

Dec 25, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #11,006 of 15,987
Ho ho ho, merry christmas to you all!

Here are some infos from Stephen:

He says the financial situation of the company hasn't changed and they're making enough from normal sales to deliver KS and preorder units, but at a very slow rate.
There's a transition to new hardware, therefore the pause now.

I presented him our proposals (like extended warranty, Exchange site fee etc.) and they think about it.

Next big update will be dts-X and they have to charge a fee for that (around 200$). Otherwise they'd have to pay royalties for all sold units at once to dts.

So this is already one thing were A16 users can financially support the company if they want dts-X. If people are only streaming they won't need dts-X because streaming companies only work with Atmos.

A new wireless headtracker compatible for A16 AND A8 is also in development, with better battery life and easier battery replacement.

So good news for all who hate the 2nd cable, or use wireless headphones.

Actually with my experience with the old wireless A8 headtracker, I was one of those who opted for a wired headtracker instead.
Anyway some time in the future we may have a choice now.

Merry Christmas to you as well!

Was there any mention of when eARC will actually be a working input? It’s the main reason I had my A16 hardware upgraded.

Good news about a wireless head tracker. I’m one who doesn’t like the 2nd cable so I don’t use the wired on much.

Dec 25, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #11,008 of 15,987

Are you saying existing owners are going to have to pay $200 for DTSHD-MA and DTS-X?

Dec 25, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #11,010 of 15,987
This is not cool... I've had many conversations with the Smyths about the upcoming DTS decoder... And not once did they mention we would have to pay a fee for it to work... I'd be willing to bet no one else new about the fee either. No mention of a fee on the website...

Screenshot_20201225-162702_Chrome.jpg

I have thousands of blu-rays that are encoded with the DTSHD-MA codec. So I guess I will be forced to pay the fee. But this is very SHADY move. Not cool.

I'm all for helping the company financially with the purchase of an extended warranty, premium PRIRs, or additional accessories... But the decoding of Atmos, DTS-X, Auro-3D are listed and marketed as included features.

:angry:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back