Smyth Research Realiser A16
Oct 13, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #10,546 of 16,011
Anyone using the RCA's out to a headphone amp?

I'm connecting the A16 to my Simaudio Moon 600i integrated amp... And then to my Abyss headphones using speaker tap adapters. The results are less than stellar. For the first time ever since I've owned this amplifier... I received an error code from the amp when hooked up to the A16.

It would be nice if the volume and voltage from the RCA's was fixed... Or if I knew what the correct level on the volume knob was ideal. Why doesn't the volume not go down to zero?

Before I turn the A16 off... I turn the volume down to 27 (whatever that means).. But when I turn the unit back on... for some reason it is set to 58.

For fear of overdriving my headphones or worse... I'm not going to be hooking up my TCs to the A16 via any method any time soon.

I'm currently looking for a deal on HD 800s... But pickings are slim. Anyone have any experience with Drop HD6XX?

In the mean time... For giggles.. I ordered a AptX HD LL Bluetooth transmitter... I'm going to try using my Sony WH-1000XM3s with A16.

Has there been any approval talk of DTS codecs coming to the A16?

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020 at 1:34 AM Post #10,547 of 16,011
I have been given access by Aernoud of Audio Note to the smyth A sync PCM test signals for 5.1, 7.1, 7.1.4 and 9.1.6, I don't know how to play back a 12 channel or 16 channel PCM file on anything other than my PC. Anyone interested in doing some A sync testing?

Oct 14, 2020 at 2:13 AM Post #10,548 of 16,011
I have been given access by Aernoud of Audio Note to the smyth A sync PCM test signals for 5.1, 7.1, 7.1.4 and 9.1.6, I don't know how to play back a 12 channel or 16 channel PCM file on anything other than my PC. Anyone interested in doing some A sync testing?
Sure... Send it my way.. I'll try to make a dvd when I get a chance

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020 at 2:40 AM Post #10,549 of 16,011
I will send it, I'm not sure making a dvd will solve for the lack of Atmos encoding on the 12 and 16 channels test tones, these are pcm files.

Oct 14, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #10,550 of 16,011
Could you PM me with a copy of the files (no dvd needed). I'm planning on doing a 7.2.4 later this month and this would greatly simplify my life.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #10,551 of 16,011
Could you PM me with a copy of the files (no dvd needed). I'm planning on doing a 7.2.4 later this month and this would greatly simplify my life.
Will do in a short while bro.

Oct 14, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #10,552 of 16,011
I will send it, I'm not sure making a dvd will solve for the lack of Atmos encoding on the 12 and 16 channels test tones, these are pcm files.
Maybe now someone is willing to try to encode those as Atmos? I'll offer to $5, which should be enough to enode an hour and a half of audio and video: https://docs.aws.amazon.com/mediaconvert/latest/ug/using-dolby-atmos-encoding.html and I'll even make some title cards (look center, look left, look right; possibly an indicator which channels are playing) if someone tells me how those should be timed.

Oct 14, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #10,553 of 16,011
I recently hooked up my external DAC via the spidf out and thence to my external headphone amp. Everything worked well. No complicaations at all.

Next, I'll be doing a series of one and two channel PRIRs via the analog outs into my miniDSP 2 x 4 HD to create ATMOS, PCM and DTS-X rooms with my LS 50s crossed over to my SB2000 sub. I'll do each speaker with the sub and label all the speakers as large, and then do a separate PRIR for the sub, by muting the LS 50s. I think it's gonna sound great.

I've already tried Jazzfan's D & D Prirs to create a 16 channel preset and it sounds great with my LCD Xs, so I really want to hear my custom eq'd LS 50 set up in 16 channels.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #10,554 of 16,011
I recently hooked up my external DAC via the spidf out and thence to my external headphone amp. Everything worked well. No complicaations at all.

Next, I'll be doing a series of one and two channel PRIRs via the analog outs into my miniDSP 2 x 4 HD to create ATMOS, PCM and DTS-X rooms with my LS 50s crossed over to my SB2000 sub. I'll do each speaker with the sub and label all the speakers as large, and then do a separate PRIR for the sub, by muting the LS 50s. I think it's gonna sound great.

I've already tried Jazzfan's D & D Prirs to create a 16 channel preset and it sounds great with my LCD Xs, so I really want to hear my custom eq'd LS 50 set up in 16 channels.
Is the spidf output a fixed volume level?

Oct 15, 2020 at 12:57 AM Post #10,555 of 16,011
When the PRIR is made from the analog outs of the A16, is it Atmos encoding?

Oct 15, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #10,557 of 16,011
When the PRIR is made from the analog outs of the A16, is it Atmos encoding?
I am confused by your question.
"When the PRIR is made from the analog outs of the A16" I would normally interpret as "during a PRIR measurement using (one or more of) the 16 channel analog outs of the A16",
"Atmos encoding" I would normally interpret as "creating an Atmos bitstream from a number of input channels".

"during a PRIR measurement using the 16 channel analog outs of the A16" the A16 generates measurement sweeps over the analog outputs. There is no Atmos encoding (or decoding) going on.

So I don't understand what you want to know?

Yes Realiser decodes and maps the correct channels overhead for the analog outs .
That is what the A16 does during playback of an Atmos bitstream, in the AV mode (so no PRIR used). I can't imagine that this would be what phoenixdogfan wanted to know, I assume he already knows.

Oct 15, 2020 at 4:27 AM Post #10,559 of 16,011
I took it in relation to the Test files I shared with the 16 channel pcm. Meaning the channel mapping would be correct, of course the signal coming out is analog and not Atmos. While 16 channel pcm will have to be mixed to Atmos for a player and receiver to decode it for async.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2020 at 6:35 AM Post #10,560 of 16,011
Those async files you got: In what format are they? wav?
Is it one wav with several PCM channels?
The Async files for the studio I saw are one channel per PCM wav file. You can play these only from the computer.

What are the sweep lengths and types and what look angles are contained?

With the new "Override preamble IDs" one can take a 5.1 file and measure any 6 speakers you want, you just have to relabel the channels in the Realiser in the PRIR sound room.
So with two "5.1" measurements it could be possible to measure a 7.1.4 set in 2 takes. But the .1 (SW) channel has to be fullrange then, which seemed not to be the case in those studio Async files.

Can list all the files you have?

(and are you allowed to share these?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back