Smyth Research Realiser A16
Aug 30, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #10,021 of 15,989
Hi all, long-term A8 owner here patiently awaiting my A16 preorder. I’m currently buying some new kit and want to plan for the A16 fitting into the setup properly. Does anyone know if the A16 now supports both video and bitstream audio pass-through on the HDMI ports when in standby? Also is it possible to change the HDMI source when in standby so it can be used as a source switching unit when the headphones aren’t required? Thanks in advance!

It doesn’t support pass through from my experience unless the unit is powered on. It does seem to support PCM and video up to 4K/60 with HDR.

Aug 30, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #10,022 of 15,989
Hi all, long-term A8 owner here patiently awaiting my A16 preorder. I’m currently buying some new kit and want to plan for the A16 fitting into the setup properly. Does anyone know if the A16 now supports both video and bitstream audio pass-through on the HDMI ports when in standby? Also is it possible to change the HDMI source when in standby so it can be used as a source switching unit when the headphones aren’t required? Thanks in advance!

I haven’t downloaded the latest firmware, but I always have to turn on my Smyth (and wait for its short boot up process) to get video picture.

Aug 30, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #10,023 of 15,989
I haven’t downloaded the latest firmware, but I always have to turn on my Smyth (and wait for its short boot up process) to get video picture.

Mine shipped with the latest firmware I believe and it still doesn't pass through video unless the unit is ON.

I came by the following quote that suggests that is supposed to be a feature but it does not seem to be possible at the moment?

" A16 Progress Report

Publié par Stephen Smyth (Collaborator)

We can confirm that the A16 will ship with HDMI 2.0b HDCP2.2 functionality on all HDMI inputs and output. The 2.0b provides support for Ultra HD @4kx2k 50/60Hz as well as all three HDR variants HDR10, HLG and Dolby Vision. We are still in the process of establishing an exact shipping date for this new HDMI board from MDS but we hope to take delivery around late August to early September. Assembly of this board into the A16 is one of the last steps during the production process, so we do not expect the wait to dramatically impact the A16 shipping schedule.

This new HDMI board also supports audio pass-thru and we will include a stand-by mode that allows the HDMI audio and video to pass through the A16 with reduced power consumption over the fully power up state. A stand-by pass-thru mode will also be provided for the optical SPDIF in to SPDIF HP-A out.
On a side note: recent testing of the Dolby Atmos decoding suggests it should be possible to decode Dolby Atmos 7.1.6ch movie sound tracks for most A16 operating modes. Previously we had believed 7.1.4ch would be the upper limit. We are also presently investigating the possibility of an Atmos 9.1.2ch mode that would make use of ‘wide’ left and right loudspeakers but with reduced performance in the height presentation.

Overall, the manufacturing of the A16 is proceeding to plan. We do not face any major issues at present but a number of potential delays are on the horizon such as delivery of the above mentioned 2.0b HDMI board which could subsequently push back completion of the DTS and Dolby certification process. We will post a further delivery update in late July. Thank you for your patience."

If it does exist already, does anyone know how to use this so-called "low power state"? Because as it stands, I'm gonna have to run this device on nearly all the time which leads me to wonder about the viability of just running the A16 on 24/7? Would that really be all that bad for it?

Aug 30, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #10,024 of 15,989
It doesn’t support pass through from my experience unless the unit is powered on. It does seem to support PCM and video up to 4K/60 with HDR.

Have you personally gotten 4K video through the HDMI out port yourself? Or are you just saying it should be possible due to the specs of the device? And is there anyone else in the thread who has managed to get more than 1080p from the HDMI out?

I'm asking because, for the life of me, I haven't been able to get more then 1080p/60 from the HDMI out when using an ASUS PB278Q (1440p monitor) with it.

Aug 30, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #10,025 of 15,989
Anyone have issues getting higher than 1080p from the HDMI video output on the A16?

The monitor I have connected to the A16 HDMI output is usually running at 1440p but it's stuck on 1080p with no option to switch to anything higher in Windows 10 display settings.

Can you do HDMI audio out from your PC instead of putting video through the Realiser? That's what I am hoping to do. (I.e. DP out to my 2 monitors and HDMI out to the Realiser.)

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #10,026 of 15,989
Can you do HDMI audio out from your PC instead of putting video through the Realiser? That's what I am hoping to do. (I.e. DP out to my 2 monitors and HDMI out to the Realiser.)

I wish it were that simple lol. It seems HDMI is a very finicky standard and seems to REQUIRE video to be sent along with the audio or something. This is from experience from fiddling around with the A16 the last couple days and from what I've been reading online as well.

It does not seem possible to simply hook up the A16 via HDMI and send audio ONLY from a PC... the A16 will always show up as an additional display on your Windows 10.

And even more bizarre (unless I'm doing something wrong) you actually HAVE to have a display connected to the HDMI out of the A16 because otherwise it does not seem to get any audio? (NO HDMI AUDIO in big red letters will appear on the A16 without a display connected to the HDMI out)

I haven't tried other inputs like USB... went straight to checking out HDMI because that was what was suggested earlier in the thread (apparently Atmos can only be done via HDMI, right?) But yeah, HDMI has been kind of finicky so far.

Aug 30, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #10,027 of 15,989
Maybe something like this could help:

SON X-AVT105 HDMI EDID Emulator, 4K
4K HDMI EDID Emulator - Simulates a display

1598835637984.png

HDMI EDID Emulator, 4K

4K HDMI EDID Emulator - Simulates a display
This adapter from Sonero emulates a monitor so that the signal coming from the source device does not switch off or change the resolution when no physical screen is connected. The adapter contains a standard set of EDID/DDC data, but it can also read and store the data of a connected monitor for perfect compatibility.
Sonero - Professional Solutions for Intense Markets
This EDID emulator provides the EDID display information for the connected source device, like a PC or BluRay player.
The following applies in any case: If the emulated EDID is not supported by the source device, the image will remain dark!
In case the source device cannot receive EDID display information from the monitor or TV, the EDID emulator emulates the commonly used resolution including refresh rate and provides this data to the source device.

The EDID emulator can help to solve general EDID problems.
If the source device does not recognize the EDID, the following intermediary devices may be responsible:
- Extender, e.g. via IP or HDBaseT
- Video splitters that distribute a signal to multiple outputs
- Video switches, routing several input signals to one screen
- Matrix switches that can route multiple inputs to multiple outputs

Features
- Input: 1 x HDMI-A 19-pin male connector
- Output: 1 x HDMI-A 19-pin female socket
- Resolution up to 3840 x 2160 @60Hz according to HDMI 2.0 (depending on system and connected hardware)
- Supports EDID Learning and EDID Emulation
- Support for 3D, Deep Colour, CEC and HDCP signals (incl. HDCP 2.2)
- Powered via HDMI source interface - no external sower supply required
- Hide the sink EDID and provide the general EDID to source
- Backup EDID without IC-programming (Back up Mode)
- Supports VESA and CEA specifications
- 1x LED display
- Plastic enclosure
- Colour: black
- Dimensions incl. connection (LxWxH): app. 44.0 x 20.5 x 12.5 mm

Package Contents
- EDID emulator module
- User manual

Emulating the monitor
1. Connect the source device to the input side (male) and the display device (monitor / TV) to the output side (female) of the EDID emulator.
2. Briefly disconnect the EDID emulator from the monitor - the resolution is saved and the LED starts flashing.

Reset
1. To reset the configuration of the EDID emulator, disconnect the output side of the EDID emulator from the monitor / TV while the source remains connected to the EDID emulator.
2. After 10 seconds without a display device connected, the emulator is automatically reset.

https://www.reichelt.nl/hdmi-edid-e...mOxfW2hd9ZfQpMBU_lyAlMj3N2RoCPsYQAvD_BwE&&r=1

Aug 30, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #10,028 of 15,989
I wish it were that simple lol. It seems HDMI is a very finicky standard and seems to REQUIRE video to be sent along with the audio or something. This is from experience from fiddling around with the A16 the last couple days and from what I've been reading online as well.

It does not seem possible to simply hook up the A16 via HDMI and send audio ONLY from a PC... the A16 will always show up as an additional display on your Windows 10.

And even more bizarre (unless I'm doing something wrong) you actually HAVE to have a display connected to the HDMI out of the A16 because otherwise it does not seem to get any audio? (NO HDMI AUDIO in big red letters will appear on the A16 without a display connected to the HDMI out)

I haven't tried other inputs like USB... went straight to checking out HDMI because that was what was suggested earlier in the thread (apparently Atmos can only be done via HDMI, right?) But yeah, HDMI has been kind of finicky so far.

I have a dual display setup WIN10 PC and "audio only" via DP/HDMI adapter to A16. Works fine. In the display settings, I have 3 displays visible, so I've placed the A16 (that does not have a display attached) at the right top corner or the 2nd display.
1598835839685.png

EDIT: in the pic how my PC shows the monitors.
No1: TV as a display (via HDMI), no2: computer monitor (via DVI), no3: A16 without a display connected (via DP/HDMI adapter).

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #10,029 of 15,989
I have a dual display setup WIN10 PC and "audio only" via DP/HDMI adapter to A16. Works fine. In the display settings, I have 3 displays visible, so I've placed the A16 (that does not have a display attached) at the right top corner or the 2nd display.

EDIT: in the pic how my PC shows the monitors.
No1: TV as a display (via HDMI), no2: computer monitor (via DVI), no3: A16 without a display connected (via DP/HDMI adapter).

Ah okay, good to know that you are not necessarily REQUIRED to have a display connected to the A16... but for whatever reason, mine is not liking when there is no display present lol.

Besides that, having to have the "phantom" display appear on your PC is still kind of annoying but somewhat manageable if you put it up and out of the way (otherwise your mouse can end up on the phantom display and get lost).

Aug 30, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #10,030 of 15,989
Have you personally gotten 4K video through the HDMI out port yourself? Or are you just saying it should be possible due to the specs of the device? And is there anyone else in the thread who has managed to get more than 1080p from the HDMI out?

I'm asking because, for the life of me, I haven't been able to get more then 1080p/60 from the HDMI out when using an ASUS PB278Q (1440p monitor) with it.

Yes. I have an Apple TV 4K, Nvidia Shield Pro, and an Oppo UHD Blu-Ray player all running through my A16 and I can get 4K video with HDR just fine. When I had my gaming PC running through it (I bought a new tv and changed my setup a bit so my PC is no longer running through the A16) I was able to game at 4K/60 with HDR without any problems. Windows detected my display was capable of 4K even with it running through the A16 first.

Aug 30, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #10,031 of 15,989
Yes. I have an Apple TV 4K, Nvidia Shield Pro, and an Oppo UHD Blu-Ray player all running through my A16 and I can get 4K video with HDR just fine. When I had my gaming PC running through it (I bought a new tv and changed my setup a bit so my PC is no longer running through the A16) I was able to game at 4K/60 with HDR without any problems. Windows detected my display was capable of 4K even with it running through the A16 first.
Awesome, thanks that is good to know.

Seems I have more fiddling around to do then... maybe it's a cable or something.

I assume the A16 does not require any special type of Windows drivers if using HDMI right?

Aug 31, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #10,032 of 15,989
Such problems occur mostly with computers as a source. With normal Players most of these problems don't happen. I only connected the audio out HDMIs of my two players to the A16, no need to have a monitor at the output, works just fine.

1440p is a resolution not used in video, so probably the HDMI of the Realiser doesn't "understand" it.

A standby HDMI passthrough will be possible with the new hardware, but not yet "realised". It is on the list (last page, recent FW update):
Imminent A16 Features (APM110/HSR41T hardware)
1)Add eARC audio source
2)HDMI AV bypass standby mode
3)Extend ALL/ASYNC PRIR measurements to 24 channels
4)Extend OH key group to 10 overhead/height speakers

However I think this is only for video. There is no sound output of the HDMI out at all afaik.

Aug 31, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #10,033 of 15,989
Such problems occur mostly with computers as a source. With normal Players most of these problems don't happen. I only connected the audio out HDMIs of my two players to the A16, no need to have a monitor at the output, works just fine.

1440p is a resolution not used in video, so probably the HDMI of the Realiser doesn't "understand" it.

A standby HDMI passthrough will be possible with the new hardware, but not yet "realised". It is on the list (last page, recent FW update):
1)Add eARC audio source

However I think this is only for video. There is no sound output of the HDMI out at all afaik.

Do you mean for standby or just in general because there is currently audio pass through enabled on the A16, you just have to go into the settings and toggle it on.

Aug 31, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #10,035 of 15,989
1)Add eARC audio source

That is good news. I hope they also add HDMI-CEC support. Almost all my TV viewing is done thru an Apple TV. One thing I really like about it is that with one button press on the remote both the Apple TV and my TV set turn on. When I choose the Sleep option, the TV is turned off. With the A-16, this no longer works, so I once again have the inconvenience of turning on multiple devices. Not a big deal of course, but it would be nice to have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back