Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jul 15, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #9,512 of 15,989
Jul 16, 2020 at 2:18 AM Post #9,515 of 15,989
So if I’m understanding correctly since it’s been almost a year since I dealt with HPEQs, the ideal solution if using autoEQ is to then load that autoEQ and the PRIR in the HPEQ app and run the manLOUD procedure on it to account for the measurements being a bit off due to the mics in my ears with running the autoEQ?

I also think I figured what was going wrong with my initial attempts with the manLOUD procedure last night. What I want to do is to generate multiple HPEQ files and label them so I know which virtual speakers I’ve run the manLOUD on. I thought that when I would load the HPEQ app that I could run manLOUD and it would generate a brand New HPEQ file that would have the flatEQ and manLOUD in it. For some reason I think it was caught in a loop trying to create a new HPEQ file. When I ran the procedure loaded with an already existing HPEQ file, it worked perfectly fine. So I think I’m the future if I create a new file running either the flatEQ or autoEQ and then load that to attach the manLOUD EQ to that I should be fine.

Last question I have is for preloaded speakers like the Surrey or BBC ones I know running manLOUD on those helps make them sound more like a virtual surround room, but I’ve been doing it off of a flatEQ. Is there any advantage to autoEQ those speakers first and then manLOUD or running manLOUD on the flatEQ the preferred way?
Do you need to run manLOUD for each speaker in the PRIR, or if it's run on one speaker, does it get applied to all the other speakers that you extract from the PRIR to populate your room?

Jul 16, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #9,517 of 15,989
Nice man, how long did it take from the day that you ordered it until it shipped? Just wondering.
Also, if I want to order the A8, how would I do it? thx
I think the A8 is not in production anymore and that the only way to get one is to find someone who sells their unit.
As for the A16, if you want one at the current price, it can go very fast. You just have to see with Smyth Research or your local dealer if there is one, depending on the country where you live.

Jul 16, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #9,518 of 15,989
Do you need to run manLOUD for each speaker in the PRIR, or if it's run on one speaker, does it get applied to all the other speakers that you extract from the PRIR to populate your room?

It’s not each speaker. It loads a PRIR and then has you go through the frequency curve where you trying to equalize the loudness between each frequency as well as center the sound of each frequency so it sounds equal coming out of both sides of the headphone. I found the YouTube video they did on it last year to be quite helpful in explaining things.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #9,519 of 15,989
I just got my upgraded A16 this afternoon from Paris.

There was a checklist of what was done in my package :
Remove the card / HDMI / APM89L assembly
Install the card / HDMI / APM110 assembly
Load the firmware (rev. 1.96) with the PRIRFACT # 1.SVS file
Check the presence of factory files (2 PRIR, 1 HPEQ)
Restart and confirm the detection of Mezz 2.0 and APM110
Make a full factory restore
Check that PRESET A and B are loaded
Check the speakers for User A and User B
Switch to SVS 24ch mode
Sound test
Wiring check
Checking the screws
Cleaning

Just a little hang-up : I could not access PRESET B User 1 after switching on the A16. James told me 14 minutes later by mail :
1. Go to settings:
2. System
3. Miscellaneous
4. Turn off 24 channel.

I watched for a few minutes an Atmos movie (Mortal Engines) looking for action scenes whilst looking at the "Audio meter display" : there are not so many instances when more than 16 channels were being used...and yet it is an action movie. I am not complaining, far from it, just trying to make a point.

Jul 16, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #9,520 of 15,989
I just got my upgraded A16 this afternoon from Paris.

There was a checklist of what was done in my package :
Remove the card / HDMI / APM89L assembly
Install the card / HDMI / APM110 assembly
Load the firmware (rev. 1.96) with the PRIRFACT # 1.SVS file
Check the presence of factory files (2 PRIR, 1 HPEQ)
Restart and confirm the detection of Mezz 2.0 and APM110
Make a full factory restore
Check that PRESET A and B are loaded
Check the speakers for User A and User B
Switch to SVS 24ch mode
Sound test
Wiring check
Checking the screws
Cleaning

Just a little hang-up : I could not access PRESET B User 1 after switching on the A16. James told me 14 minutes later by mail :
1. Go to settings:
2. System
3. Miscellaneous
4. Turn off 24 channel.

I watched for a few minutes an Atmos movie (Mortal Engines) looking for action scenes whilst looking at the "Audio meter display" : there are not so many instances when more than 16 channels were being used...and yet it is an action movie. I am not complaining, far from it, just trying to make a point.

Yeah I noticed with mine that 24 channel processing shuts down user B. I believe I remember reading in an update that they need to use both the chips for user A and B to get 24 channel working.

Jul 16, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #9,521 of 15,989
Just curious if you turned on 24 ch and put the upmixer for HDMI to Surround...

Jul 16, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #9,523 of 15,989
Of course, that was said in the KS update that both SVS processors have to be used for the 24ch and User B is shut off completely.

When you use manLOUD with a PRIR (to somehow personalize this foreign PRIR to your ears) you can select that you hear the noise played through the L+R speakers of that PRIR or the C only or L+C+R. Because these 3 speakers are the most important ones. All other speakers like the surrounds etc. are then played throgh the same manLOUD HPEQ you created.
I found that you have to try all 3 differnent possibilities and then compare what sounds better. So you have to create 3 manLOUD curves. Since a manLOUD curve is only added/attached to a already existing PRIR (created via auto HPEQ or just as flat HPEQ) you have to create 3 different HPEQ files at first.
Therefore I recommend creating flat HPEQs as a basis because this is done via "one click" as opposed to the complicated autoHPEQ process.
That's the difference to the video where they take an auto HPEQ as starting point. Everything else is a good presentation of the method.

To be more precise this procedure should be done for every speaker in the PRIR but this isn't feasible, as you only can have one manLOUD HPEQ in one preset. That's a compromise, but the first step in the direction of personalisation of a foreign PRIR.
The next step is what they offer on the Exchange website: You load an own PRIR and can personalise another one with this.

watched for a few minutes an Atmos movie (Mortal Engines) looking for action scenes whilst looking at the "Audio meter display" : there are not so many instances when more than 16 channels were being used...and yet it is an action movie.
This is what I somehow expected. It's the same with a 9.1.6 setup: The front wides and some of the tops are only used when there are objects which is not so often in a movie. The bed channels (7.1 or 7.1.2) are almost always playing though.

Jul 16, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #9,524 of 15,989
I really need eARC enabled because without it out, my gaming setup is a bit of a mess. I have all of my consoles and PC routed through the TVs HDMI ports so I can take advantage of HDMI 2.1 features like VRR. This means I’m planning on sending the sound from those to the A16 via eARC. The good thing is that my tv does acknowledge that the A16 is eARC capable, but there’s of course no way to actually get any sound until Smyth Research releases firmware that allows eARC to be selected as an input on the A16.

Jul 16, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #9,525 of 15,989
I decided to test a DVD in simple stereo (the English “No Offence” series, low budget but excellent series) without any of the Dolby/DTS usual suspects. Just being curious.
With the 24ch + upmix I was in for a surprise :
- The “PA” showed – when action/music occurred – 19 activated channels…
- The “Audio meter display” showed me exactly 19 activated channels as well…

I can assure you that what I heard was definitely not stereo !
I thought upmix was up to max 16 ch.

Can someone help me understand ???

Edit : yet somehow the A16 recognizes it as Dolby Audio and no Dolby logo either on the disc or on the packaging. It is sold on the web site as a Dolby 2.0.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back