Smyth Research Realiser A16
Aug 18, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #5,507 of 16,011
Aug 18, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #5,508 of 16,011
I put my deposit down in Feb 2017. How do I know what number I am in line?
The date suggests you are pre-sales order, like me (I ordered in June 2019). We don't know our numbers, or how many pre-sales there are. Only that between 313 and 376 A16's (probably close to 376) for kickstarter backers will most likely be shipped first.

Aug 18, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #5,509 of 16,011
The date suggests you are pre-sales order, like me (I ordered in June 2019). We don't know our numbers, or how many pre-sales there are. Only that between 313 and 376 A16's (probably close to 376) for kickstarter backers will most likely be shipped first.

Again, I have to emphasise that Smyth have not indicated that they are following any particular order in the shipping process. The only evidence is the fact that they are willing to sell early, voided places in the queue at a premium but I would take that with a pinch of salt until we get reports on who has taken delivery and how they ordered.

Aug 18, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #5,510 of 16,011
The firmware update instructions mention DTS:X. There’s no way they got certified for that already is there?

Aug 18, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #5,511 of 16,011
The firmware update instructions mention DTS:X. There’s no way they got certified for that already is there?
From the update instruction:
This step will overwrite all User A and User B Presets 1-4 as well as all Atmos/DTS:X and PCM sound rooms 1-4 and any PRIR/HPEQ measurements in the recycle memory.
No, I think with Amos/DTS:X sound rooms they mean sound rooms that are suitable both for Atmos and DTS:X (the same speaker layout I think?). And even if there were specific DTS:X or even Auro 3D sound rooms that doesn't mean much: it's just rooms with certain speaker layouts that can be used if and when the A16 could/can decode those sound formats.

Aug 18, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #5,512 of 16,011
Again, I have to emphasise that Smyth have not indicated that they are following any particular order in the shipping process. The only evidence is the fact that they are willing to sell early, voided places in the queue at a premium but I would take that with a pinch of salt until we get reports on who has taken delivery and how they ordered.
Ah, yes ok. But I assume anyway that the kickstarter backers will have at least some priority over the pre-sales orders. Even if they don't strictly follow the order sequence they could do it loosely and with exceptions were that would optimise the shipping process. But indeed we will see what happens the coming weeks and months.

Aug 18, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #5,513 of 16,011
Well look like I need to buy a Micro SD card USB adapter since neither my desktop or laptop have an SD card slot.

Aug 18, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #5,514 of 16,011
Didn't know that you can press the volume knobs. Seems you can power on the unit w.o. the remote. With the A8 not possible.

But when I read these instructions: Is it not possible to have a menu option FW update?

This reads at least as complcated as the A8 is. Press this, wait that long, then press both, after x secomds let one go. Then power down, power up, press this, press both,...

Oh my.

Let's hope that normal use isn't that complicated. With the A8 it's annoying. Without the manual you'd be lost. Hope the A16 is more user friendly.

Aug 18, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #5,515 of 16,011
I'm not really upset by this, but anyone else remember way back when during another update that was apologizing for a delay when they said something to the effect of the good news is that now the Kickstarter and preoder units would ship at the same time?
Hah...

Didn't know that you can press the volume knobs. Seems you can power on the unit w.o. the remote. With the A8 not possible.

But when I read these instructions: Is it not possible to have a menu option FW update?

This reads at least as complcated as the A8 is. Press this, wait that long, then press both, after x secomds let one go. Then power down, power up, press this, press both,...

Oh my.

Let's hope that normal use isn't that complicated. With the A8 it's annoying. Without the manual you'd be lost. Hope the A16 is more user friendly.

I think at least that is an improvement, especially now. Lose or damage the remote to your A8? You're screwed.

Well look like I need to buy a Micro SD card USB adapter since neither my desktop or laptop have an SD card slot.

This is what I ended up getting: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006T9B6R2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #5,516 of 16,011
I'm not really upset by this, but anyone else remember way back when during another update that was apologizing for a delay when they said something to the effect of the good news is that now the Kickstarter and preoder units would ship at the same time?
Hah...

I think at least that is an improvement, especially now. Lose or damage the remote to your A8? You're screwed.

This is what I ended up getting: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006T9B6R2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks. Best Buy has a similar one for about the same price so I’m going to grab one tomorrow along with a Micro SD card since I just realized the only one I have in the house is actually in my Switch.

Aug 18, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #5,517 of 16,011
I just remembered that Smyth is gomng to make money off the exchange site once it is up and running and people have their A-16s. I don't know how much they will make but if it is substantial maybe it will help ether with shipping or development.
So are they going to sell the PRIRs that Smyth A16 users had to pay to make on their own and put on the website? Do the "donors" get a cut? If not, grrrrrrrr! What!!!!!!

If that's the case, even if I buy an A16 I will NEVER put one of my PRIRs on their website!

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #5,518 of 16,011
I thought it was a marketplace and you charged what you wanted for it, if it was your PRIR. Presumably they take a cut of all the sales. But if you want it to be free my understanding was the exchange would permit people to offer it as such.

I mean if they don't, couldn't we just share them among ourselves?

Aug 18, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #5,519 of 16,011
I thought it was a marketplace and you charged what you wanted for it, if it was your PRIR. Presumably they take a cut of all the sales. But if you want it to be free my understanding was the exchange would permit people to offer it as such.

I mean if they don't, couldn't we just share them among ourselves?
All that is exactly what I think. And of course they want to charge a fee for personalising a BRIR with a PRIR.

Aug 18, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #5,520 of 16,011
Thanks. Best Buy has a similar one for about the same price so I’m going to grab one tomorrow along with a Micro SD card since I just realized the only one I have in the house is actually in my Switch.

I don't know if they've changed it with the A16, but the A8 could only read SD cards up to 2GB and no higher. Also, the A8 reads normal SD cards, not micro.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back