1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Smyth Research Realiser A16

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by jgazal, May 7, 2016.
First

Back
358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367
369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378
Next

Last
  1. sander99
  2. sahmen
  3. sander99
    The date suggests you are pre-sales order, like me (I ordered in June 2019). We don't know our numbers, or how many pre-sales there are. Only that between 313 and 376 A16's (probably close to 376) for kickstarter backers will most likely be shipped first.

4. Sordel
    Again, I have to emphasise that Smyth have not indicated that they are following any particular order in the shipping process. The only evidence is the fact that they are willing to sell early, voided places in the queue at a premium but I would take that with a pinch of salt until we get reports on who has taken delivery and how they ordered.

5. Got the Shakes
    The firmware update instructions mention DTS:X. There’s no way they got certified for that already is there?

6. sander99
    From the update instruction:
    No, I think with Amos/DTS:X sound rooms they mean sound rooms that are suitable both for Atmos and DTS:X (the same speaker layout I think?). And even if there were specific DTS:X or even Auro 3D sound rooms that doesn't mean much: it's just rooms with certain speaker layouts that can be used if and when the A16 could/can decode those sound formats.

7. sander99
    Ah, yes ok. But I assume anyway that the kickstarter backers will have at least some priority over the pre-sales orders. Even if they don't strictly follow the order sequence they could do it loosely and with exceptions were that would optimise the shipping process. But indeed we will see what happens the coming weeks and months.

Evshrug likes this.
  8. Got the Shakes
    Well look like I need to buy a Micro SD card USB adapter since neither my desktop or laptop have an SD card slot.

9. audiohobbit
    Didn't know that you can press the volume knobs. Seems you can power on the unit w.o. the remote. With the A8 not possible.

But when I read these instructions: Is it not possible to have a menu option FW update?

This reads at least as complcated as the A8 is. Press this, wait that long, then press both, after x secomds let one go. Then power down, power up, press this, press both,...

Oh my.

Let's hope that normal use isn't that complicated. With the A8 it's annoying. Without the manual you'd be lost. Hope the A16 is more user friendly.

10. Sanctuary
    I'm not really upset by this, but anyone else remember way back when during another update that was apologizing for a delay when they said something to the effect of the good news is that now the Kickstarter and preoder units would ship at the same time?
    Hah...

I think at least that is an improvement, especially now. Lose or damage the remote to your A8? You're screwed.

This is what I ended up getting: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006T9B6R2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  11. Got the Shakes
    Thanks. Best Buy has a similar one for about the same price so I’m going to grab one tomorrow along with a Micro SD card since I just realized the only one I have in the house is actually in my Switch.

Evshrug likes this.
  12. phoenixdogfan
    So are they going to sell the PRIRs that Smyth A16 users had to pay to make on their own and put on the website? Do the "donors" get a cut? If not, grrrrrrrr! What!!!!!!

If that's the case, even if I buy an A16 I will NEVER put one of my PRIRs on their website!

13. illram
    I thought it was a marketplace and you charged what you wanted for it, if it was your PRIR. Presumably they take a cut of all the sales. But if you want it to be free my understanding was the exchange would permit people to offer it as such.

I mean if they don't, couldn't we just share them among ourselves?

Evshrug likes this.
  14. sander99
    All that is exactly what I think. And of course they want to charge a fee for personalising a BRIR with a PRIR.

jgazal likes this.
  15. Sanctuary
    I don't know if they've changed it with the A16, but the A8 could only read SD cards up to 2GB and no higher. Also, the A8 reads normal SD cards, not micro.

First

Back
358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367
369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378
Next

Last