1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Smyth Research Realiser A16

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by jgazal, May 7, 2016.
First

Back
357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366
368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377
Next

Last
  1. Evshrug
    I think the manual will help, but the advertising material on the A16 states it can simulate the height channels. A few days ago, we were talking about putting bookshelf speakers up at an elevated height (search for posts this month mentioning milk crates, or maybe it was at the end of July). So, you can use the one Speaker measurement method, or you could get a fairly good simulation.

@esimms86 Pardon my denseness (blame the 180 minutes of exercise and blisters on my feet), but what advantage does having two room PRIR’s give me? Just the luxury of more choices, or can they be combined somehow?

sahmen likes this.
  2. Sanctuary
    Choice. One might sound better for music too, and the other movies. Although you might also end up just finding you prefer one over the other for both, so then there wouldn't really be any advantage out of the box. AFAIK, to do any kind of combining requires the PRIRs to have speakers in the exact same positions. This was supposed to primarily be for those that have crummy sounding speakers that want to be able to get something much better like from AIX or MSM without needing to travel to the studios. As long as the speaker positions match, we were supposed to be able to overwrite the actual speaker/room properties with the better ones.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  3. esimms86
    Just more choices. You can listen in the virtual room of your preference as your preferences change from time to time. Even having one PRIR gives you a major leg up on most owners. You can then, of course, go on to add more rooms as circumstances and money allow.

Of course, your two PRIRs were probably captured with the same configuration of the same speakers, albeit in different rooms.

4. sahmen
    Okay, here's one more question(hopefully, the last one for today) : is it possible to tweak simulated speaker distances and room sizes for PRIRs that have been measured in one place and transported to a different location for normal use? This is particularly related to those who have already had their PRIR measurements captured at some CANJAM meet, in a hotel Room, or at some fancy studio. with some fancy speakers, with the intention of using those PRIR measurements at home. I am assuming that speaker distances and room sizes at home, would almost always be different from those of the location at which the original measurements were captured. If the speaker distances and listening room size at home are say half of those of the original measured location, I am imagining that your mind might notice the discrepancy, and the illusion of correct simulation might not work so well... This is where the question about the tweaking/adjustment methods for Room size-measurements and speaker distances (from the sweat spot) is coming from.

I'm imagining that the manual might address such tweaking methods, but I want to hear the opinion of those who know about such things already.

5. Richter Di
    Exactly the same situation here. So much hope they will have pre-loaded my Paris measurement as promised.

6. Richter Di
    These are wonderful news! Thank you.

7. KaiSc
    Just coming back from vacation I have to read through the postings and get information about the A16.
    In advance:
    Here in my studio I can connect, process and route any number of analog or digital channels, even from differently clocked sources at the same time, in any linear format.
    This excludes specially encoded signals like Dolby Atmos, which is impossible to use in real time.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  8. Richter Di
    This sounds promising.

9. innocentblood
    Looks like a new firmware has been uploaded, dated 17 August. Now if we can only get our hands on that elusive instruction manual...

Maestroso, Richter Di and esimms86 like this.
  10. Richter Di
    I think it is re-assuring that they currently work on Saturdays. Now the question is if @Got the Shakes - the only person we know of actually receiving an A16 - A16 already has this firmware? And what were the changes?

11. Got the Shakes
    Mine shipped before they posted this so I assume my unit will have 1.0 on it.

12. MichaelJames99
    I put my deposit down in Feb 2017. How do I know what number I am in line?

13. J.Villain
    I just remembered that Smyth is gomng to make money off the exchange site once it is up and running and people have their A-16s. I don't know how much they will make but if it is substantial maybe it will help ether with shipping or development.

14. GarrHaal
    Firmware update instructions are now live.

15. sahmen
    Where? Link?

First

Back
357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366
368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377
Next

Last