Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jul 4, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #4,861 of 15,988
I wrote yesterday to James Smyth to ask for an update. He read my message but like most of the times someone asks something related to news, it remained unanswered...
I don’t know how long it takes to Dolby to run tests but anyway six weeks passed since last update, it wouldn’t hurt to take 5 minutes to say how it is going, even if there is not much to say. It’s still better that keeping people in the dark (it’s always the same thing !)

Jul 4, 2019 at 6:35 PM Post #4,862 of 15,988
Once again this seems like another partial solution. This one has no head tracking, no virtual room, and probably can not be used as a plugin on JRiver or Foobar. Redscape, on the other hand, has high quality head tracking, will play on a Windows box, but has no custom HRTF, OOYH has high quality rooms and speakers, plays on your PC, but has no head tracking, and no custom HRTF unless you want to make a pilgrimage to San Diego for a custom measurement or two, and worst of all, the A16, has all the goodies, but will cost $4k+ if ever released, and requires a unitasking computer to run its firmware, when everyone damned well knows it could run on Windows or Apple boxes as software, if it were not for the pigheadedness of the founders.

If ever anyone releases a quality virtualizer, that runs on a PC as either a plugin or a virtual soundcard, has a custom HRTF measurement, creates a high quality virtual room, virtualizes your owns headphones into 7.1 or 16 channels, and does it with head tracking, that person will have the true winner.

OOYH was alright with my own PRIR from my A8, but the problem is there is no way to get the LFE channel to my subwoofer with OOYH.

Jul 4, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #4,863 of 15,988
OOYH was alright with my own PRIR from my A8, but the problem is there is no way to get the LFE channel to my subwoofer with OOYH.
So I gotta ask you, apart from the LFE issue, how close does OOYH come to the SMYTH when virtualizing that PRIR? No one ever compare them directly, and it would be nice to know if the SMYTH has some secret sauce which places it in another league from OOYH and other virtualization technologies.

Jul 4, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #4,864 of 15,988
I wrote yesterday to James Smyth to ask for an update. He read my message but like most of the times someone asks something related to news, it remained unanswered...
I don’t know how long it takes to Dolby to run tests but anyway six weeks passed since last update, it wouldn’t hurt to take 5 minutes to say how it is going, even if there is not much to say. It’s still better that keeping people in the dark (it’s always the same thing !)
The thing I have to wonder about is how these guys will do customer support in the field. If they are so unresponsive to their customers now when all they have to do is take five minutes once a month to write a brief bulletin, how will they respond when units start breaking down and/or having software issues or when users just need a question answered on how to properly use all the features an extremely complex piece of technology. Perhaps someone who has an A8 and needed it serviced has something of value to add here.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 8:09 PM Post #4,865 of 15,988
Talking about partial solutions, I have been able to retrieve my two tracking numbers for the two sets of the Yarra 3DX combos that I backed from my Fedex account. They (US orders) are going to start shipping after July 22nd, I learn. There was a time when I had completely given up on ever receiving them, so this is something of a relief. Still, I got interested in the Yarra 3DX because of some suggestions I read on this thread that one might be able to get some interesting results by feeding the Yarra some superior data generated by the A16 (I am not describing the procedure well, I am sure), yes, the A16, which is still MIA, so my excitement about the Yarra3DX is somewhat limited.

Well maybe getting to actually listen to the Yarra3DX itself might change that a bit, who knows? I strongly doubt that I'd ever prefer the Yarra's result to those of my actual 5.1/7.1 HT speaker systems though? I like the Mobius, and the Creative Super XFi amp and the XFi Air, but they all sound like a bunch of Gimmicky toys--as they should--when compared to those HT systems. It's not even close.

With all that said, though, the follks at Comhear deserve some credit and kudos for finally pulling it off, and delivering, after getting over some obviously formidable logistical obstacles.

I really hope all this waiting for the A-16 and the related suspense are worth it in the end.
I could never get excited about it. It's a soundbar. I use LS50s for my tv viewing, so why would I ever use a sound bar, no matter how innovative.

Jul 4, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #4,866 of 15,988
So I gotta ask you, apart from the LFE issue, how close does OOYH come to the SMYTH when virtualizing that PRIR? No one ever compare them directly, and it would be nice to know if the SMYTH has some secret sauce which places it in another league from OOYH and other virtualization technologies.

It required OOYH guys to decode my personalised PRIR, which is another $150, so $300. Only tried it out in trial mode, which is limited to 2 minutes at a time.

Without LFE I was not able to fully compare them, or get an accurate result.

Jul 4, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #4,867 of 15,988
I could never get excited about it. It's a soundbar. I use LS50s for my tv viewing, so why would I ever use a sound bar, no matter how innovative.

You're right about the relative lack of excitement, when it comes to soundbars and the like. What I really had in mind for the Yarra3DX, was to use them in smaller spaces (guest-room or bedrooms) where an elaborate 5.1 speaker system won't easily fit. It is probably what I am still going to do with then when they arrive, even though I can also easily see deploying the A16 for use in my bedroom, once I have gotten real ceiling speakers installed for Atmos/DTS-X in my main HT listening area. As for the mobius, and the super XFI brand of products, they're really for OTG and desktop use, mostly away from home...

Jul 4, 2019 at 10:20 PM Post #4,868 of 15,988
Whats your signal chain like? Theres a couple ways to get a separate signal to a subwoofer or tactile transducer system that Im familiar with.

1. Split the signal out of a DAC via rca or xlr y cables.

2. Use an optical toslink splitter.

3. Use Voicemeter to duplicate the signal to a separate dac.

Jul 4, 2019 at 11:55 PM Post #4,870 of 15,988
Jul 5, 2019 at 2:20 AM Post #4,872 of 15,988
I need to ask how much in USD will the A16 be?

Last i heard was 3000.00 USD

Is that correct?

At the moment the retail price is purely hypothetical. It's like asking how much a unicorn's horn costs.

Jul 5, 2019 at 2:22 AM Post #4,873 of 15,988
Whats your signal chain like? Theres a couple ways to get a separate signal to a subwoofer or tactile transducer system that Im familiar with.

1. Split the signal out of a DAC via rca or xlr y cables.

2. Use an optical toslink splitter.

3. Use Voicemeter to duplicate the signal to a separate dac.

Splitting the signal is not the problem, it is getting the LFE channel before it goes to processing for the subwoofer. This is what the A8 does really well.

Years ago, like 5 years ago I discovered that all frequencies below 80hz should be cut from the headphones, and the LFE channel should be used for sub/tactile duties only. IF frequencies below 80hz go to the headphones, it vibrates the headphone frame and destroys the illusion of the Out of Your Head experience, as you can feel the sound in the headphones.

So I created a 7.0 PRIR of my own, cutting all frequencies below 80hz. Splitting the signal after processing on the OOYH software leaves 80hz and below absent using my PRIR.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #4,874 of 15,988
Splitting the signal is not the problem, it is getting the LFE channel before it goes to processing for the subwoofer. This is what the A8 does really well.

Years ago, like 5 years ago I discovered that all frequencies below 80hz should be cut from the headphones, and the LFE channel should be used for sub/tactile duties only. IF frequencies below 80hz go to the headphones, it vibrates the headphone frame and destroys the illusion of the Out of Your Head experience, as you can feel the sound in the headphones.

So I created a 7.0 PRIR of my own, cutting all frequencies below 80hz. Splitting the signal after processing on the OOYH software leaves 80hz and below absent using my PRIR.
Ah I see. Im the opposite, I had tried crossing the signal but didnt like the lack of sub bass in the headphones. But without shakers I find I like to roll the sub bass off a little.

Jul 5, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #4,875 of 15,988
For those that e-mailed Smyth and got a reply this calendar year, what e-mail address did you use? Thanx!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back