Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jul 8, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #4,891 of 16,011
Question for the group: Does Smyth still support and service the A8 Realiser? And, if so, does that service extend to buyers who acquire one on the secondary market (non-original owners)?

Jul 8, 2019 at 11:46 PM Post #4,892 of 16,011
Where do you live, someone could drop by with an A8?
This is a good idea I didn't consider. I may put a feeler out in the A8 thread. Would pay. Thanx

My house is on Long Island

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #4,895 of 16,011
The French distributor is announcing on its FB page that the A16 has been Dolby certified. Now it needs DTS:X and AURO 3D certification. It would be nice to hear from the Smyths now on how long THAT might take.
Actually, now that I think about it, didn't one of the Smyths develop the original DTS? If so, then hopefully the DTS:X certification will be just a formality.

Jul 9, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #4,896 of 16,011
Actually, now that I think about it, didn't one of the Smyths develop the original DTS? If so, then hopefully the DTS:X certification will be just a formality.

Yes, and I mentioned mentioned how ironic it was that it would not ship with the ability to decode DTS. I'm not sure when they announced that it would again either, but they previously stated that DTS support was going to be added in after release via firmware, and as far as I know, they also previously said that A3D (or maybe it was Ambisonics) support was dropped. Never saw any update that reversed that either.

So if they never actually changed their stance on either of those, there shouldn't be anything left to do but start shipping.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #4,897 of 16,011
The French distributor is announcing on its FB page that the A16 has been Dolby certified. Now it needs DTS:X and AURO 3D certification. It would be nice to hear from the Smyths now on how long THAT might take.

Yes, and I mentioned mentioned how ironic it was that it would not ship with the ability to decode DTS. I'm not sure when they announced that it would again either, but they previously stated that DTS support was going to be added in after release via firmware, and as far as I know, they also previously said that A3D (or maybe it was Ambisonics) support was dropped. Never saw any update that reversed that either.

So if they never actually changed their stance on either of those, there shouldn't be anything left to do but start shipping.

Yeah I thought that DTS certification was supposed to be tackled after they shipped units as a firmware update?

Jul 9, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #4,898 of 16,011
La certification Dolby Atmos du A16 est désormais acquise. Le A16 a donc enfin sa raison d'exister (oui, parce que jusque là, c'était un Realiser A8, à... 16 canaux). Prochaine étape, la certification DTS:X et Auro 3D.
@Fox1977 would you be so kind to translate?

Jul 9, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #4,900 of 16,011
« The Dolby Atmos certification for A16 was granted at last. The A16 now has it’s reason to exist (because till now, it was only a Realiser A8... with 16 channels). Next step, the DTS:X and Auro3D certification »

Gilles actually sent an email to a member of the French forum who ordered the A16 through him.
He says that he is going to contact Smyth Research to retrieve the A16. He cannot give a schedule for shipping yet because actually, they didn’t get the boxes for the A16 yet (!!!)
But it still will be shipped this summer...

Jul 9, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #4,901 of 16,011
« The Dolby Atmos certification for A16 was granted at last. The A16 now has it’s reason to exist (because till now, it was only a Realiser A8... with 16 channels). Next step, the DTS:X and Auro3D certification »

Gilles actually sent an email to a member of the French forum who ordered the A16 through him.
He says that he is going to contact Smyth Research to retrieve the A16. He cannot give a schedule for shipping yet because actually, they didn’t get the boxes for the A16 yet (!!!)
But it still will be shipped this summer...

Haha. I feel like that is perfect for the way this project has gone. Finally get certified by Dolby, but then don't have boxes to start shipping units. Lol

Jul 9, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #4,903 of 16,011
Haha. I feel like that is perfect for the way this project has gone. Finally get certified by Dolby, but then don't have boxes to start shipping units. Lol
I can just see the next update from the Smyths.
"We got the certification from Dolby. Now we have to source boxes and packaging materials. Next update in two months"

But seriously, hopefully they've got all the loose ends tied up. Do they have a user's manual? Are they required to translate it to other languages in order to sell it in the EU at least? (I think they do) Do they have CE certification? Any other certifications they need to sell an electronic consumer product in Europe/USA/elsewhere? Hopefully Dolby was the last major hurdle and shipping is really the next step, but shipping has been around the corner for so long that I wouldn't be surprised if something else came up.

Jul 9, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #4,904 of 16,011
I can just see the next update from the Smyths.
"We got the certification from Dolby. Now we have to source boxes and packaging materials. Next update in two months"

But seriously, hopefully they've got all the loose ends tied up. Do they have a user's manual? Are they required to translate it to other languages in order to sell it in the EU at least? (I think they do) Do they have CE certification? Any other certifications they need to sell an electronic consumer product in Europe/USA/elsewhere? Hopefully Dolby was the last major hurdle and shipping is really the next step, but shipping has been around the corner for so long that I wouldn't be surprised if something else came up.

I thought they had a user manual, because I thought the French distributor received one but I could be wrong. It was always my impression that Dolby certification was the remaining hurdle when it came to shipping, but like anything with Smyth there's no way to be sure until they actually start dispatching units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back