Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jan 16, 2018 at 4:20 AM Post #1,801 of 15,986
In that case a cross-talk free PRIR seems to help (and you will have headtracking). I didn't try this myself but Erik Garci did with his A8 and for him it was an improvement.
I had an idea how to use a normal PRIR with the A16 in dual-user mode and reduce cross-talk up to 24 dB, Erik Garci tested it with the A8 and it works:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/correcting-for-soundstage.865212/page-2#post-13906823
[Edit: Oh, I forgot something important here: with my dual-user method it is not so obvious you will have well-functioning headtracking. Maybe using two head-trackers on the one headphone would do the trick, but that is not guarenteed without trying first.
A good alternative is to do a special cross-talk free stereo PRIR measurement (the way Erik Garci did):
I assume you are talking about binaural recordings that were not made using your own head. .
Thanks !

Yes i'm talking about chesky recordings,From the caves of the iron mountain and others

Jan 17, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #1,803 of 15,986
Anyone looking to get rid of their A8 for the A16, let me know what price you were thinking. If its a good deal I can take off your hands
Funny enough I have never tried the A8, but i haven't seen one for sale either. So it may sound really good.
Why not save more and go directly after A16? I heard it and is AMAZING with capital letters:)

Jan 17, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #1,804 of 15,986
Funny enough I have never tried the A8, but i haven't seen one for sale either. So it may sound really good.
Why not save more and go directly after A16? I heard it and is AMAZING with capital letters:)

A16 is only on kickstarter. I was burned in kickstarter with $500 before on a failed project and I am now opposed to the kickstarter model. Although I am confident smyth A16 will deliver, on principle I will never "purchase" from kickstarter.

that being said, the new A16 makes the A8 horribly obsolete so here was me hoping to get a comensurate price on a used A8 compared to the A16. The A16 is supposedly much cheaper than what a new A8 is going for now on direct buy. I would assume a used A8 just dropped in value considerably due to the A16

Jan 17, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #1,805 of 15,986
A16 is only on kickstarter. I was burned in kickstarter with $500 before on a failed project and I am now opposed to the kickstarter model. Although I am confident smyth A16 will deliver, on principle I will never "purchase" from kickstarter.

that being said, the new A16 makes the A8 horribly obsolete so here was me hoping to get a comensurate price on a used A8 compared to the A16. The A16 is supposedly much cheaper than what a new A8 is going for now on direct buy. I would assume a used A8 just dropped in value considerably due to the A16
If this is how you feel, i truly understand you. There are people here that have been waiting for the A16 for few years now, and I wonder how they feel.
But rest reassured, from the latest updates that include photos it will be a big mistake from Smyth Research not to deliver it in maximum 4-6 months from now at the latest.

Jan 18, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #1,811 of 15,986
to quote the prophet: "stop torturing yourself man... live in the now!"

Jan 18, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #1,813 of 15,986
According to the update James Smyth sent on December, 14th, all the components for the A16 should be in the UK by now (except for the plastic enclosures and clips). The first batch of A16 should be assembled already and being tested.
I guess next update, that should arrive before the end of the month will give us an idea of the shipping window for the Kickstarter early backers. I'd say by mid-march. Already it will be 10 months later than what was announced when i signed up for it in August 2016. I'm keeping fingers crossed !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back