Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jan 21, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #1,820 of 15,986
the Realiser can reproduce sounds that come from below, never knew that
The working priciple of measuring a PRIR and using that to later re-create the same transformation of sound on it's way to the ear canal doesn't care where the speakers are. You can simulate speakers in any position you want, just measure them there. Another matter is which speaker positions you now normally need for stereo, dolby, dts, auro. But using the 16 channel analog inputs or 16 channel PCM over USB input you can put in whatever you want to be replicated over any conceivable speaker layout you want...

Jan 21, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #1,821 of 15,986
A16 is only on kickstarter. I was burned in kickstarter with $500 before on a failed project and I am now opposed to the kickstarter model. Although I am confident smyth A16 will deliver, on principle I will never "purchase" from kickstarter.

that being said, the new A16 makes the A8 horribly obsolete so here was me hoping to get a comensurate price on a used A8 compared to the A16. The A16 is supposedly much cheaper than what a new A8 is going for now on direct buy. I would assume a used A8 just dropped in value considerably due to the A16
I managed to order when I heard two years ago at kickstart price
I have been equally burned and won’t be crowdfunding again

Jan 21, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #1,822 of 15,986
I suppose that is very hard to buy something without seeing it first in real life. In the audio world is a must to try something before you buy it, as our sound preferences vary.
Smyth Realiser A16 is no exception from the rule, but luckily we have all the positive reactions from the ones who tried it, including myself and that's good enough to purchase one. I am hoping like others do on a new update soon, where an exact shipping day is mentioned.
Smyth Research have an outstanding product that will sell very well, just more advertising is needed, IMHO.

Jan 21, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #1,823 of 15,986
I managed to order when I heard two years ago at kickstart price
I have been equally burned and won’t be crowdfunding again

Sadly it's the nature of building a high end system in electronics. So much can go wrong, and usually there are major hold-ups. I've read Jason Stoddard's Schiit book here at Head-fi, and he gets into delays a few times.

I got in later, August last year, and almost knew 2017 wasn't happening, even though it was supposed to ship by end of year. Hoping by April, praying not longer than June.

It will be worth the wait!

Jan 21, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #1,824 of 15,986
Been listening to the podcast link about the Realiser A16. Very interesting and nice to hear new things, such as the Realiser can reproduce sounds that come from below, never knew that:)

The working priciple of measuring a PRIR and using that to later re-create the same transformation of sound on it's way to the ear canal doesn't care where the speakers are. You can simulate speakers in any position you want, just measure them there. Another matter is which speaker positions you now normally need for stereo, dolby, dts, auro. But using the 16 channel analog inputs or 16 channel PCM over USB input you can put in whatever you want to be replicated over any conceivable speaker layout you want...

AFAIK, such possibility is content dependent and the test mentioned in the podcast was performed with Ambisonics encoded material.

I don’t know if currently we can buy content with sounds supposed to be coming from the floor.

I guess VR gaming would get the most out of it, though I am not sure what codec will be adopted by developers as standard. Movies could perhaps be enconded in such way, although that is not the environments we see in movie theaters. But from all that I have been reading from professionals, music probably won't be encoded to make use of it.

Also, AFAIK, elevation can be conceived, probably in a less precisely way, with only two channels, as long as the content is binaural (binaural recording and binaural synthesis).

Jan 21, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #1,825 of 15,986
Sadly it's the nature of building a high end system in electronics. So much can go wrong, and usually there are major hold-ups. I've read Jason Stoddard's Schiit book here at Head-fi, and he gets into delays a few times.

I got in later, August last year, and almost knew 2017 wasn't happening, even though it was supposed to ship by end of year. Hoping by April, praying not longer than June.

It will be worth the wait!
No happy to support genuine high tech such as Smyth but there have been some complete frauds as well
Looking forward to the A16 it was awesome when i heard it

Jan 21, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #1,826 of 15,986
No happy to support genuine high tech such as Smyth but there have been some complete frauds as well
Looking forward to the A16 it was awesome when i heard it

I here you. I am very hesitant to support unknowns, but Smyth Research is an established company. I didn't hesitate at all. This might be the best device I've ever bought, and that is really saying something.

Jan 22, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #1,828 of 15,986
What headphones are guys going to use with the A16?
I am planning to use my SE- PM 1 if i don't sell them before i get the Realiser :)

HD800 with the SDR mod is what I’m going to use. I got a really good deal buying a used pair from the classifieds here about a year ago. I always wanted the HD800 and purchasing the Realiser was my excuse to go ahead and splurge on them as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back