SMSL iDEA portable dac+amp
Oct 21, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #452 of 544
So, I just received the Weiliang Audio SE4.

The soldering seems fine and tidy. Not sloppy or anything. The mystery IC by the output socket is definitely an op-amp - TI OPA2132 to be exact.

Connecting to a phone is easy and doesn't introduce any of the problems of the iDEA. Just plug in and it works.

Later on, I'll compare it with other DACs in its class and price category. I'm still waiting for the Covia ZEAL EDGE to arrive (maybe next week). For now, the SE4 seems like a solid purchase at its current price.

What about Covia Zeal Edge? Did you receive it? How is the sound and performance (including battery consumption) in comparison to SMSL IDEA on an android mobile?

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #455 of 544
anyone else's IDEA just suddenly died. mine suddenly did not work. the blue light is turned on but windows cant detect even after reinstalling driver and changing USB cables and changing USB ports and restarting windows -.-

any other cheap alternatives? the IDEA is just perfect for my use with zero noise floor.. but sadly i bought it 2nd hand and after few weeks of use it just doesnt work anymore

Nov 3, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #456 of 544
If you liked the Idea, Sabaj Da2 is exactly same device with slightly cheaper price tag.

Nov 4, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #458 of 544
Da3 is bigger and feels sturdier. To my ears it does sound a little bit better than Idea/Da2, it has a bit more weight and punch in the bass. But I guess it depends on the rest of the system if it is much noticeable to you and does it justify the price difference. Important to know it can't be connected to the phone because of higher power consumption, if that's important to you.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #459 of 544
Da3 is bigger and feels sturdier. To my ears it does sound a little bit better than Idea/Da2, it has a bit more weight and punch in the bass. But I guess it depends on the rest of the system if it is much noticeable to you and does it justify the price difference. Important to know it can't be connected to the phone because of higher power consumption, if that's important to you.

i think the sabaj da2 will be a better choice because of the lower impedance yea?

Nov 4, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #460 of 544
I wouldn't worry about impedance... it's fine for most cases. But if you already had and liked the Idea then Da2 is a safe bet.

Nov 5, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #462 of 544
So, I got the SMSL iDEA from Aliexpress. After one week of use, all I can say is its perfectly neutral. Pairs good on warm sounding IEMs like my Final Audio E5000, very wide soudstage and treble has more sparkle yet not fatiguing. It works on iPhone + HF Player well with up sampling to High Precision DSD 5.6Mhz although I have to unplug and replug every time because of that static noise, although that only happens on HF Player, other players are not affected and plays normally fine. YouTube, Spotify, Tidal and Apple Music works fine, basically plug and play. I'm using the new CZY cable (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/COZ...icro-usb-Upgrade-cables-made/32953095735.html) to connect to my iPhone X. I've never tried the USB 3 CCK from Apple yet but if it works with HF Player without unplug replug then I'll probably move to CCK. Attached on my MacBook Pro 2017 via USB C also works fine. Although my main use for this is for iPhone for now. All in all, very happy with my setup.
IMG_4394.jpeg IMG_4396.jpeg IMG_0003.jpeg IMG_0001.jpg

Nov 6, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #464 of 544
Function aside, I'm not a fan of the sharp blocky aesthetic of these. SMSL does make some well designed equipment (I like my AD18), but these did not appeal to me the first time I checked them out.

I'll admit that it has grown on me a bit and I'm willing to let it slide because of the convenient size.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 6:34 AM Post #465 of 544
So, I got the SMSL iDEA from Aliexpress. After one week of use, all I can say is its perfectly neutral. Pairs good on warm sounding IEMs like my Final Audio E5000, very wide soudstage and treble has more sparkle yet not fatiguing. It works on iPhone + HF Player well with up sampling to High Precision DSD 5.6Mhz although I have to unplug and replug every time because of that static noise, although that only happens on HF Player, other players are not affected and plays normally fine. YouTube, Spotify, Tidal and Apple Music works fine, basically plug and play. I'm using the new CZY cable (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/COZ...icro-usb-Upgrade-cables-made/32953095735.html) to connect to my iPhone X. I've never tried the USB 3 CCK from Apple yet but if it works with HF Player without unplug replug then I'll probably move to CCK. Attached on my MacBook Pro 2017 via USB C also works fine. Although my main use for this is for iPhone for now. All in all, very happy with my setup.

How much of an improvent is it over the lightning to 3.5mm dongle ? Have you noticed a dip in battery life ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back