SMSL iDEA portable dac+amp
Jul 6, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #422 of 544
So, I just received the Weiliang Audio SE4.

P80706-155914.jpg
P80706-155743.jpg

The soldering seems fine and tidy. Not sloppy or anything. The mystery IC by the output socket is definitely an op-amp - TI OPA2132 to be exact.

Connecting to a phone is easy and doesn't introduce any of the problems of the iDEA. Just plug in and it works.

Later on, I'll compare it with other DACs in its class and price category. I'm still waiting for the Covia ZEAL EDGE to arrive (maybe next week). For now, the SE4 seems like a solid purchase at its current price.

Jul 6, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #423 of 544

The soldering seems fine and tidy. Not sloppy or anything. The mystery IC by the output socket is definitely an op-amp - TI OPA2132 to be exact.

Connecting to a phone is easy and doesn't introduce any of the problems of the iDEA. Just plug in and it works.

Later on, I'll compare it with other DACs in its class and price category. I'm still waiting for the Covia ZEAL EDGE to arrive (maybe next week). For now, the SE4 seems like a solid purchase at its current price.

wow, I was expecting the Savi chip to be more hassle than the XMOS, lol. Gonna hook it up to my Samsung S5, but maybe it will spend more time on the PC, tbh.

a decent plug and play USB DAC for less than $50, its definitely getting interesting even in the budget bracket.

the absence of volume control on the DAC itself isn't a problem, I assume?

Jul 6, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #424 of 544
wow, I was expecting the Savi chip to be more hassle than the XMOS, lol. Gonna hook it up to my Samsung S5, but maybe it will spend more time on the PC, tbh.

a decent plug and play USB DAC for less than $50, its definitely getting interesting even in the budget bracket.

the absence of volume control on the DAC itself isn't a problem, I assume?

Sometimes the volume control on the DAC itself is a hassle, since it collides with the phone volume control. I just use the Fine Volume Control app to precisely control the volume since I use other DACs that have no controls like the HIFIMEDIY.

Jul 11, 2018 at 5:19 AM Post #425 of 544

How do you find this DAC? I am planning to buy Sabaj da2 (IDEA) or da3 (IQ). I would appreciate any comparison.
Also, did anyone here perform some testing against desktop dacs? I want to use one of these dacs mainly with my Fiio K5 amp, do you think these portable guys can compete with desktop dacs in similar price range?

Jul 11, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #426 of 544
How do you find this DAC? I am planning to buy Sabaj da2 (IDEA) or da3 (IQ). I would appreciate any comparison.
Also, did anyone here perform some testing against desktop dacs? I want to use one of these dacs mainly with my Fiio K5 amp, do you think these portable guys can compete with desktop dacs in similar price range?

I find the DAC great but I don't own any of the other DACs you mentioned to do a comparison.

Jul 11, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #427 of 544

Amirm from ASR forums purchased the SE4 for measurements, so you might have to wait another week or two before he can compare it.

I'm mainly interested in the power and impedance output values, since I'd love to use it with both IEMs and headphones.

Jul 23, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #428 of 544
se4.jpeg

I got a week ago. this is my note:
1. very loud volume. My headphone is akg k7xx, it only takes less than 1/4 level of volume, it's been very loud.
2. rapidly drain my handphone battery (nubia)
3. if used for streaming app from android (example: spotify), then sound signature will not change. sounds exactly like production by nubia. So this DAC only works like an amplifier only. (of course not in practice). This is a classic android problem with digital sound via usb. not a problem in this dac/ upsample problem. (so you do not get disappointed with this DAC)
4. if used to play flac / dsd through hiby music in android, choose setting: "Exclusive HQ USB audio access", then digital sound via USB to DAC is pure. This DAC will shine.
5. if used for streaming spotify app from windows, i use version 10, then DAC will shine as well. So I just use this DAC to be paired with notebook only. temporarily resting Fiio X7 II while charging :).
5. So how is the sound signature in general? I have been familiar with ess dac, starting from Fiio X7 I, II, and hiby R6, exactly this is the implementation of the ES family. Very typical. All the details came out, very airy, quite flat and neutral. the soundstage is very wide left right, only the depth is less. separation between the instruments is quite subtle.
6. compare with other DAC? I used to have only Fiio E17K. Clearly SE4 is better for the sound division. I am also waiting for this comparison review with SMSL Idea, which is not so I bought considering SE4 is cheaper.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #429 of 544

I got a week ago. this is my note:
1. very loud volume. My headphone is akg k7xx, it only takes less than 1/4 level of volume, it's been very loud.
3. if used for streaming app from android (example: spotify), then sound signature will not change. sounds exactly like production by nubia. So this DAC only works like an amplifier only. (of course not in practice). This is a classic android problem with digital sound via usb. not a problem in this dac/ upsample problem. (so you do not get disappointed with this DAC)
4. if used to play flac / dsd through hiby music in android, choose setting: "Exclusive HQ USB audio access", then digital sound via USB to DAC is pure. This DAC will shine.
5. if used for streaming spotify app from windows, i use version 10, then DAC will shine as well. So I just use this DAC to be paired with notebook only. temporarily resting Fiio X7 II while charging :).
5. So how is the sound signature in general? I have been familiar with ess dac, starting from Fiio X7 I, II, and hiby R6, exactly this is the implementation of the ES family. Very typical. All the details came out, very airy, quite flat and neutral. the soundstage is very wide left right, only the depth is less. separation between the instruments is quite subtle.
6. compare with other DAC? I used to have only Fiio E17K. Clearly SE4 is better for the sound division. I am also waiting for this comparison review with SMSL Idea, which is not so I bought considering SE4 is cheaper.

Nice, I've actually ordered it too (since I needed some silver cables from china), couldn't resist while waiting for those ASR measurements. Everyone who got the SE4 seems to really like them and encountered no glaring issues like hissing or driver problems.

Jul 24, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #430 of 544

Get a dual OTG cable /hub that allows you to plug a power supply in while connected to the DAC.

As for the playback quality, its an Android OS issue, (supposedly solved with version 8.0.) Other than programs that allow "bit perfect" output, it sounds pretty bland.

You can use UAPP and Onkyo player too for bit perfect output.

Jul 27, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #431 of 544
I own the Pixel 2 XL and a Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Over-Ear which I use in bed to watch Netflix or listen to music.

I am considering the Sabaj DA2 which costs $99 in Australia, another option is the Topping NX2s which costs $110, and the FiiO Q1 Mark II which costs $139

I believe the former two are plug and play, no issues with Micro-USB to USB-C directly into the phone, right? Not sure about the FiiO though...

Is there a significant difference between these products based on their prices? What's the recommendation?

Since the Momentum 2.0 Over-Ear's are 18 Ohm impedance, I wouldn't really require a strong AMP. What's most important for me is sound quality, volume should be easy to push with any of these DAC's.

Jul 27, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #432 of 544
I own the Pixel 2 XL and a Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Over-Ear which I use in bed to watch Netflix or listen to music.

I am considering the Sabaj DA2 which costs $99 in Australia, another option is the Topping NX2s which costs $110, and the FiiO Q1 Mark II which costs $139

I believe the former two are plug and play, no issues with Micro-USB to USB-C directly into the phone, right? Not sure about the FiiO though...

Is there a significant difference between these products based on their prices? What's the recommendation?

Since the Momentum 2.0 Over-Ear's are 18 Ohm impedance, I wouldn't really require a strong AMP. What's most important for me is sound quality, volume should be easy to push with any of these DAC's.

I think FiiO Q1 MK2 will serve you better and not drain your phone's battery. Also, Sabaj DA2 can be tricky to make it work well on Androids. Some people like me can make it work flawless playing the music before plugging the DAC, others just can get noise depending of your phone.

There was never a fix for that, just a downgrade of firmware which apparently solve it but you can't revert afterward.

Jul 28, 2018 at 2:00 AM Post #433 of 544

Fiio Q1Mkii is relatively plug and play, used it with a Samsung S5 and Onkyo HF player, just had to enable the usb audio thing in the settings. If you're willing to spend the extra, the Fiio is a great little box, lots of power to drive even headphones (I think Zeos used it to review his HD660). Surprisingly light despite the built-in battery. Also have balanced output should you decide to venture in such stuff.

Sabaj DA2 (and SMSL IDEA) seems to suffer from some QC problems on certain units, but the sample size isn't that big. A great unit on a budget.

Still waiting on the Breeze Audio/Weiliang SE4, but from the 5 guys who purchased it after I posted info on the unit, looks like its also a good offering. Maybe they'll report back if there are any durability issues afterwards, but 200+ purchase on the taobao listing, seems good so far.

Aug 7, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #434 of 544
Get a dual OTG cable /hub that allows you to plug a power supply in while connected to the DAC.

As for the playback quality, its an Android OS issue, (supposedly solved with version 8.0.) Other than programs that allow "bit perfect" output, it sounds pretty bland.

You can use UAPP and Onkyo player too for bit perfect output.

Can you please provide a link for such USB HUB? Is there a USB-C version of it?

Aug 10, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #435 of 544
Finally got the Breeze Audio/Weiliang SE4 after numerous shipment delays, liking it so far. Used with TO180 and SHP9500, nearly blew my ears out since on Android it went directly to max volume on Onkyo player (volume adjustment is whacked out for some reason, I can't lower it down else it'll just go back to max).

Windows, needed a Savi Audio driver and all is well (a bit warm on usage, but wasn't much hassle on setup either). Opened it up to look at the solder job, apart from some leftover flux, everything was super clean. Plus with the 3 cables given, its quite good value.

Gonna use it as my daily DAC on the PC, should be a fair test on durability.

gl67UeK.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back