SMSL iDEA portable dac+amp
Aug 17, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #438 of 544
Just installed Linux Mint on my desktop, to find that the SMSL Idea is not outputting anything. Is there any known permanent solution that won't involve me going around connecting/disconnecting my Idea? While on mobile it's doable, on the Desktop is anything but comfortable.

EDIT:
This was the detection issue, as I expected. The easy solution is to just restart linux once, and it gets detected properly, and will work as expected.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #439 of 544
Ok I finally got an Idea and connected it to my PC and Riva Turbo X speakers. I guess the built-in amp is not very powerful because I need to turn it to full volume, and the mixer on my desktop to full volume, and my speakers to full volume to get some sound out.

I was wondering what amps you pair with the SMSL idea to drive some speakers?

Sep 14, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #442 of 544
Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #443 of 544
Will the SMSL IDEA work ok with my iPhone X using the Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter? Then connecting into a seperate headphone amp via max volume?

I noticed there are two Apple camera cables, both work?

https://www.apple.com/au/shop/product/MD821AM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter

https://www.apple.com/au/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter
Yes, it will work, exactly that way. Max the volume and than connect the iDea to the external HP.
You will need the fist adapter, don't know about the second one.

Sep 18, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #446 of 544
I assume the SMSL Idea auto detects the source rate and plays it as it is coded? There is no way to force the sample rate only view it via the coloured LED? (what were the colours and rates?)
Yes, it autodetects the sampling rate and bit depth.
You can do upsampling through any software. Audirvana offers upsampling which works with any dac.
The led color doesn't change with the rate. Only blue for pcm and red for dsd.

Oct 10, 2018 at 12:28 AM Post #447 of 544
Has really no one else had their Idea be defective? I had one with clicking sounds and the replacement with left channel that completely blew out.

Oct 10, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #448 of 544
Has really no one else had their Idea be defective? I had one with clicking sounds and the replacement with left channel that completely blew out.

Well, mine still working perfectly fine and it's been connected 24/7 on my laptop. Actually, I was quite surprised that I didn't get any problem on Android too as many reported (if I play the music before connecting it).

One thing that I've noticed this thing gets really warm so if you live in a tropical place it shouldn't be hard to melt something inside and broke it.

Oct 20, 2018 at 4:06 AM Post #449 of 544
I had several iDEAs (and Sabaj Da2s) go through my hands and never had a faulty one. That said, they do become very warm while working - for carrying in it in a pocket with my phone I find it to be unpleasantly warm. Good thing is that's not alarming for the device itself because there aren't any temperature sensitive parts like electrolytic capacitors inside. In general, human hands are very sensitive - to us 40 C is very warm, 50 C already feels very very hot... and for electronics that's just cozy temperature. So no way anything inside will melt or broke because of this.

Oct 20, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #450 of 544
I had several iDEAs (and Sabaj Da2s) go through my hands and never had a faulty one. That said, they do become very warm while working - for carrying in it in a pocket with my phone I find it to be unpleasantly warm. Good thing is that's not alarming for the device itself because there aren't any temperature sensitive parts like electrolytic capacitors inside. In general, human hands are very sensitive - to us 40 C is very warm, 50 C already feels very very hot... and for electronics that's just cozy temperature. So no way anything inside will melt or broke because of this.

I used a multimeter to find out that the Sabre chip itself went bad. The left channel line blew and seems to have shorted to ground within the Sabre DAC chip, with missing continuity on the pins for the left signal exiting the DAC. When the headphone plug is completely inserted, the left channel is blasted with noise and the driver housing of the headphone heats up within seconds. My other idea had, I believe, power filtering issues, with lots of unwanted clicking and popping. I finally got another replacement after all this time of missing the Idea's sound while using the FiiO K1, and am just hoping the replacement works long term.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back