SMSL iDEA portable dac+amp
Nov 19, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #481 of 544
Yep, everything I've found so far: The DA3 won't run on most smartphones.

The SMSL X4 should have the lowest power consumption, the IDEA has higher power consumption than X4 but should work with most smartphones (no idea if this also applies to iPhone).

Nov 20, 2018 at 3:43 AM Post #482 of 544
Do these work on iPod touch 6th gen?

Nov 20, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #484 of 544
I just got the Sabaj DA2 tonight, and have been testing it side-by-side with the SMSL X4 on several different types of music and segments of different songs that have instrument separation or other things I like to use as distinguishers. The DA2 definitely sounds more precise, and better at separation than the X4. The X4 is quite commendable and at the price it's a solid offering, especially compared to the similarly priced K1. The DA2 though can drive my test headphones (Fostex T50RP Mk3 with mods) much better than the X4, and overall - sounds just slightly better. The X4 does have a warmer sound as someone mentioned much earlier in this thread.
Thanks, so I‘ll try the DA2 for my Fostex.

Nov 29, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #488 of 544
I have ordered a Sabaj DA2 and will hopefully receive it early. I was leaning towards DA3 but then read that it's not very compatible with most of the Android mobiles as also consumes too much battery.
But I am still feeling the itch to buy one DA3 , may be after a couple of months for other listenings through my PC or my Raspberry Pi (don't know if it's compatible with Pi 3B and Volumio comby). I was just getting through DA3 specs and they seem to be pretty high in comparison to full sized portable Headphone DAC AMPs like Topping, Fiio, Xduo etc in similar price range but with battery power. Only look and buildwise DA3 looks inferior. I read here that DA3 is also having excellent sound quality.
So which will be a better buy, DA3 or any parallel model with battery power from any of the companies stated above or other similar?

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #489 of 544
I have ordered a Sabaj DA2 and will hopefully receive it early. I was leaning towards DA3 but then read that it's not very compatible with most of the Android mobiles as also consumes too much battery.
But I am still feeling the itch to buy one DA3 , may be after a couple of months for other listenings through my PC or my Raspberry Pi (don't know if it's compatible with Pi 3B and bolunto comby). I was just getting through DA3 specs and they seem to be pretty high in comparison to full sized portable Headphone DAC AMPs like Topping, Fiio, Xduo etc in similar price range but with battery power. Only look and buildwise DA3 looks inferior. I read here that DA3 is also having excellent sound quality.
So which will be a better buy, DA3 or any parallel model with battery power from any of the companies stated above or other similar?

The Topping NX4 DSD is really good, but also costs a bit more.

Either that or the Fiio Q1MkII (friend was looking for a DAC to use on his PC since he already had the X7ii, decided to go with the NX4 due to it having more power on the unbalanced output).

The SMSL IQ is similar to the DA3 but its battery powered. That could be another solid choice (but sadly I've not tested it, no shops here have them in stock).

Nov 29, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #490 of 544
But I am still feeling the itch to buy one DA3 , may be after a couple of months for other listenings through my PC or my Raspberry Pi (don't know if it's compatible with Pi 3B and bolunto comby). I was just getting through DA3 specs and they seem to be pretty high in comparison to full sized portable Headphone DAC AMPs like Topping, Fiio, Xduo etc in similar price range but with battery power. Only look and buildwise DA3 looks inferior. I read here that DA3 is also having excellent sound quality.

If you're planning on using it with a phone I'd most definitely get one with battery. The IQ is a seriously good offering, and not only for the price.

Nov 30, 2018 at 2:25 AM Post #491 of 544
If you're planning on using it with a phone I'd most definitely get one with battery. The IQ is a seriously good offering, and not only for the price.
I am interested in getting one to pair with my iPod touch 6th gen but battery consumption is a worry. Is there a way to give it portable power supply?

Nov 30, 2018 at 3:44 AM Post #493 of 544
I am interested in getting one to pair with my iPod touch 6th gen but battery consumption is a worry. Is there a way to give it portable power supply?

The IQ has its own battery and drain from the transport is minimal :wink:

Nov 30, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #494 of 544
Unfortunately not possible. I have tried everything, without success.
On another side you can look at it like this. I own several portable battery powered dacs/amps, including the Chord Mojo. Besides being a much bulkier combination it needs double charging, with 2 different cables. Lightning for the Apple and micro-usb for the battery powered dac/amp. At the end of the day it is the same, if you are double charging both the iPod and the dac/amp, or you have faster battery drain with the iPod/iDea combo, but charging once.

Nov 30, 2018 at 4:09 AM Post #495 of 544

Users who are viewing this thread

Back