SMSL iDEA portable dac+amp
Nov 30, 2018 at 6:54 AM Post #497 of 544
I also have another battery powered DAC and I never use it because when I need it, the battery is low. I think a battery powered DAC only is an option if you use it every day and therefore also charge it every day.

Nov 30, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #498 of 544
I also have another battery powered DAC and I never use it because when I need it, the battery is low. I think a battery powered DAC only is an option if you use it every day and therefore also charge it every day.

Personally I find units without battery to be useless for portable usage because of the battery drain so each to their own I'd guess.

Dec 4, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #499 of 544
I formatted my drive a while ago and have Windows 10 installed with the latest updates. Something seems to have changed.

In device properties for the SMSL iDea, say I have 'default format' set to '16 bit, 44100 Hz (CD Quality)'. I used to be able to play a 96000 Hz file in my player and click on the tray icon on the SMSL iDea driver and have it show that output switched from 44100 Hz to 96000 Hz. In other words it used to switch sampling rate automatically. It doesn't do that anymore. Now I notice it outputs constantly to whatever the 'default format' is set to instead of automatically switching to the proper rate of the music file. Anyone know how to fix this? I'd rather have it switch automatically to the proper rate from the default of 16 bit, 44100 Hz than keep it set at 24 bit, 192000 Hz.

EDIT: Changing my musicplayer preferences to Wasapi (exclusive) fixed it.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #501 of 544
Just wanted to check my setup is ok, have the SMSL at max volume (line output?) to my external headphone amp which I use to control the volume, and the SMSL Idea connected to my PC Windows 10 with volume also at 100 max (should this be lower never 100?)

Also have set the SMSL Idea in windows to 32bit/384khz upscale which it seems to stay at for everything with the purple light, should this match the source material or good to just keep it this high?

Jan 6, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #502 of 544
I just ordered a Sabaj Da2, going to see how well it sounds with these cheapy yet decent JLab Intro/Neon headphones. Heard the Idea/Da2 has a bigger soundstage and is more detailed when compared to my now retired X4, which still works but has developed this ear killing full volume buzz or hiss when the computer powers up or just at random times when media is being played but goes away when I pause whatever is playing for a short period of time. Recently, it happened the second a leaf blower was turned on outside but could have been a coincidence. I'm not too intrigued by the bright sound signature I'm hearing about with the Da2/Idea but if they can make a budget warm-sounding pair of headphones more lively and 3D until I fix the cable on my AD700x, or wait until I get a new pair of "audiophile" headphones in the near future, then I'm down. I'm using this for my desktop, which I know, is so scuffed being that there's desktop-oriented dac/amps out there but none of them I really care for or have gotten a bad impression of based on what I'm looking for, one of them being the E10k which I heard from multiple people sounds narrow, that and the price of them compared to these simple dongles. I love the idea (no pun intended) of just plug and play to power a poor man's excuse of "audiophile" headphones (not really) to make my music less dull and more detailed.

Jan 8, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #503 of 544
Wow, I'm actually quite disappointed, the Idea/Da2 is so cold and bright compared to my XtremPro X1, which is warmer and more detailed, and it's also much cheaper. This sounds so much like the DragonFly Black, almost just bland, and the only positive thing is the cleaner audio and vocal projection but it doesn't sound as detailed, just more ear piercing and focused on making the vocals more present, if that makes sense.

Jan 15, 2019 at 2:56 AM Post #504 of 544
Wow, I'm actually quite disappointed, the Idea/Da2 is so cold and bright compared to my XtremPro X1, which is warmer and more detailed, and it's also much cheaper. This sounds so much like the DragonFly Black, almost just bland, and the only positive thing is the cleaner audio and vocal projection but it doesn't sound as detailed, just more ear piercing and focused on making the vocals more present, if that makes sense.
That's my impression with most of the ESS Sabre dacs. It works better with darker and warmer headphones.

Jan 15, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #505 of 544
That's my impression with most of the ESS Sabre dacs. It works better with darker and warmer headphones.
The X1 has a ES9023 in it, it's so far the most enjoyable unit with a Sabre chip I've tried out, and yes it doesn't sound the best with my bright AD700X, not bad but it sounds like something is missing in the mid range, it wasn't as bad with my cheapy bassier JLab Intro. I ordered a Da3 and I heard that sounded like it has more body than the Da2/Idea. We'll see.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #506 of 544
Mar 4, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #508 of 544
hello there ..hope this is the best thread for my problem! I bought a 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable so I could use the "balanced" output of my Sabaj DA3 - supposedly optimised for the best sound - connecting it to my Topping NX1s, and the result was dreadful. Nothing but horrid disintegration of sound! (Yes, I pressed the buttons to switch outputs, and the readout indicated 2.5mm BAL). But dreadful resiult. And now, what's worse - reverting to the standard operation with DAC alone and UNBAL 3.5mm ouput, the device no longer woorks at all! NO audio will come through it, and it turns itself off in two seconds! Will NOT stay on... anybody experience anything like this? Somewhat reluctant to message the Sabaj people on Ali, as you only get second-hand messages from "R&D" filtered through whoever answers the message-box....

Mar 4, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #509 of 544
hello there ..hope this is the best thread for my problem! I bought a 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable so I could use the "balanced" output of my Sabaj DA3 - supposedly optimised for the best sound - connecting it to my Topping NX1s, and the result was dreadful. Nothing but horrid disintegration of sound! (Yes, I pressed the buttons to switch outputs, and the readout indicated 2.5mm BAL). But dreadful resiult. And now, what's worse - reverting to the standard operation with DAC alone and UNBAL 3.5mm ouput, the device no longer woorks at all! NO audio will come through it, and it turns itself off in two seconds! Will NOT stay on... anybody experience anything like this? Somewhat reluctant to message the Sabaj people on Ali, as you only get second-hand messages from "R&D" filtered through whoever answers the message-box....

Are you trying to connect a balanced output to a single ended input?

Mar 4, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #510 of 544
Are you trying to connect a balanced output to a single ended input?
Haha i have to tell you I don't know what that means ! I simply followed the directions given to me my other head-fiers on threads elsewhere, got the appropriate cable and plugged in ! And now my device no longer works!

Please can you explain the meaning of your question for a newbie ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back