Smoking at a young age
May 31, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #46 of 116
So his mother doesn't want to (can't?) make him stop smoking because he throws tantrums whenever he doesn't have a cigarette... great parenting there!  I wish my parents gave in that easily when I was a kid! 
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
I started smoking pot when I was 15 in 1967. Gave it up in 1980 because it started to make me feel paranoid. 

Edit:   LOL, you guys weren't talking about pot. As far as Cigarettes, never smoked one... 

Me too, man.  Except I started in late 2004 and finally quit in mid-2008 (basically throughout college).  Sometimes I could relax but most of the time I just became too paranoid... especially when I smoked before class.
redface.gif

May 31, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #48 of 116

Quote:
^ Where would you get it? It's easy here but from what I hear not so much in the States...

It's actually incredibly easy to get it, provided you know someone who has the means of getting it. 
tongue_smile.gif
  If you're in a large city (Boston in my case) or a college-town, then you should have no problem.

Jun 1, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #50 of 116
^ Yeah, it's technically illegal to purchase cigarettes for minors, but practically no one will ever know or care. Just give whoever is buying the pack an extra dollar or two, and if it is a friend you don't even have to do that much, and you have them. Alcohol is no different. Back in college I was in a freshman dorm full of underage students, and yet somehow every weekend would leave the building smelling like an old brewery.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 1, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #51 of 116
I thank my mother for letting me try smoking when I was  five because I guess she knew I would hate it. .  Well, she was right, I got sick as a dog and 31 years later, I hate them the same.

Jun 1, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #52 of 116

Quote:
It's actually incredibly easy to get it, provided you know someone who has the means of getting it. 
tongue_smile.gif
  If you're in a large city (Boston in my case) or a college-town, then you should have no problem.

Haha, ok. :wink:

Jun 3, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #55 of 116
x2 Americans have worse health problems than smoking. It doesn't help that our health care system sucks.

Quote:
I'm not advocating smoking, but honestly drinking on a regular basis and other things will take far more off your life than smoking. Not to mention how many people die young from drinking and driving, drinking and getting into fights, etc... Yet alcohol for some reason isn't looked upon as anywhere near as bad as smoking for some reason

So I can smoke 10 cigarettes for the rest of my life and only lose 4 years of it? Big freaking deal. The life expectancy in the U.S. is now close to 78 years. If those stats are accurate and let's say I was healthy otherwise then I would live up until 74. That's 5% of my life, and that' assuming I never miss a day without smoking, which isn't the case for most people. The way some people bitch about smoking you'd think one cigarette will make you implode or something. It's ridiculous

Almost 40% of the population smokes in Japan and Greece, yet the life expectancy in those countries are the highest in the world (over 80 years). Why is that? 

I am against smoking in indoor areas though, even bars. Even as a smoker I don't like it when people smoke inside, and I would never do it in my house. 

I believe people really need to ease up on all the anti-smoking propaganda. No, smoking is not the healthiest thing in the world, but I also think the stigma attached to it is unwarranted. Many of the studies about smoking are misleading also (for example, it may say it doubles your chances of heart disease, but your chances of getting heart diseases in the first place are very minute to begin with - so an increase from say .01% to .02 percent is hardly significant)

I think most Americans should be worried more about their diet than second hand smoke. Obesity rates are at an all time high right now and no one seems to care. 

Aug 30, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #57 of 116
I found this funny: [size=x-small]But in spite of this, his fishmonger father Mohammed, 30, said: 'He looks pretty healthy to me. I don't see the problem.'[/size]

Aug 30, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #59 of 116
I quite a pack-a-day habit with the help of Chantix, a prescription drug. After the first week of the 30 day treatment the taste and smell of tobacco was so unpleasant I quit and at the end of 30 days I had no desire to smoke. I feel better than I have in years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back