Smoking at a young age
Oct 31, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #76 of 116
Quote:
I don't smoke and never will, though seeing a huge number of high school students do it anyways is disheartening. Someone said this in some other odd thread; they weren't surprised that you see so many teens that smoke, do drugs, drink alcohol(I'll admit, I drank alcohol only once but that's a story for another time), and have or want Beats.

A couple years back, we had this odd T-Shirt, that had the number 1200 printed on it. Why? It represented the supposed 1,200 of 2,000 that didn't do drugs, smoke, or drink alcohol(most of us probably lied). This was fine though. It didn't get a bad reputation until someone in the other "800" decided to draw up another shirt that represented those under the influences. Take it with a grain of salt...This sure ticked off the administration. It strikes me as pretty surprising that they would even have the guts to do something like that.

At any rate , it ruins the school image in my opinion, with the huge number of smokers and such right outside across the street. It seems that a few know that it's really bad though; I know one of them and they told me to never go even near cigarettes. "They'll kill you". Honestly though, it doesn't help that sometimes you have smokers(not students) that are brazen enough to walk within school grounds with cigarettes out, which leaves us to inhale secondhand smoke. World's a messed up place, isn't it?

I totally agree with you, i listen to people talk about "ohhh there was a party on Friday,etc" and i lol knowing there was weed, alcohol,etc. Its just very two faced how people are, and that you see them do this BS and (at least for me, since im a deep thinker) makes me think different of them. I am in the upper middle tear of cool people FYI, im not a holy Christian that goes to church every day, and prays and school (you get the point about that) but i just find this BS something that i look down upon, and tell you the truth, hate my moms brother (my Uncle) for some of the things that i have mentioned above. I also laugh at the people that walk in to school from a fresh stress reliever and you can just smell it on them, and some of the more trashier people will tell you the truth and when and what they just smoked.

Nov 3, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #77 of 116
I quit smoking about a year ago using Chantix and I'm really glad I did.  Of course the motivation I had besides the cost monetarily and physically, was that I didn't want my son who had just been born, to associate the smell of cigarettes with Dad.  I always liked the smell of cigarettes because my dad smoked so I wanted to make sure that I broke that cycle.  

Nov 3, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #78 of 116

Quote:
I totally agree with you, i listen to people talk about "ohhh there was a party on Friday,etc" and i lol knowing there was weed, alcohol,etc. Its just very two faced how people are, and that you see them do this BS and (at least for me, since im a deep thinker) makes me think different of them. I am in the upper middle tear of cool people FYI, im not a holy Christian that goes to church every day, and prays and school (you get the point about that) but i just find this BS something that i look down upon, and tell you the truth, hate my moms brother (my Uncle) for some of the things that i have mentioned above. I also laugh at the people that walk in to school from a fresh stress reliever and you can just smell it on them, and some of the more trashier people will tell you the truth and when and what they just smoked.

So you're better than others because you don't drink or smoke? I don't smoke cigarettes but I don't look down on smokers as long as they don't breathe their smoke on me or do it indoors in public places.

There's a limit for everything. Doesn't make drugs and alcohol automatically bad.

Nov 3, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #79 of 116

Quote:
So you're better than others because you don't drink or smoke? I don't smoke cigarettes but I don't look down on smokers as long as they don't breathe their smoke on me or do it indoors in public places.

There's a limit for everything. Doesn't make drugs and alcohol automatically bad.

We shouldn't look down on smokers however I disliked most smokers. Some would smoke even in the presence of little children even though everyone knows now that passive smoking is hazardous. I do look down on smokers unfortunately. It's just.. sad.

Nov 3, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #80 of 116

Quote:

What about smoking inherently makes them someone that you should look down upon?

Nov 3, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #82 of 116
eek.gif

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #83 of 116
Quote:

Well, i like to think i am
wink.gif

Quote:
What about smoking inherently makes them someone that you should look down upon?

To me, its just trashy. Unless you have your bespoke suit on and can properly smoke a cig or cigar (which is more manly).

Quote:
source?
If your mom said so, it doesnt count.

rolleyes.gif
Get to know me, and you'll think the same thing.

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #84 of 116
Quote:
Well, i like to think i am
wink.gif

To me, its just trashy. Unless you have your bespoke suit on and can properly smoke a cig or cigar (which is more manly).

rolleyes.gif
Get to know me, and you'll think the same thing.

Well if that ain't the ripest example of bias I've ever seen...

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #85 of 116

Quote:

So it's not trashy if you are dressed in a classy way while doing it, in which case, it is very masculine?

Being fat is also unhealthy and gross, does that mean that I should always look down on fat people as my first reaction?

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #87 of 116

Quote:
Smoking at a young age ? I tried smoking once at the age of 14, didn't like and never will. If I want to destroy my body, I'd rather listen to music at 90db.

I'd rather be diagnosed with HIV than find myself with a pack-a-day habit. Its bad enough to need food and water to survive - having to throw something this toxic into the mix is just insane. I like a beer, granted, but I dont feel the need to dash over to the pub every 3 hours - the smokers I work with dont have that choice : nicotine has them in its iron grip.

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #88 of 116

Quote:
I'd rather be diagnosed with HIV than find myself with a pack-a-day habit. Its bad enough to need food and water to survive - having to throw something this toxic into the mix is just insane. I like a beer, granted, but I dont feel the need to dash over to the pub every 3 hours - the smokers I work with dont have that choice : nicotine has them in its iron grip.

You must not know many people living with HIV and all the complications it creates.

Nov 4, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #90 of 116
I hope he's less elitist and naive there.

Seriously cifani, you sound like you have a lot of growing up to do. Not everything is as black and white as you make it out to be. Maybe you should apply your "deep thinking" to some thinking about other people, their feelings, their thoughts, and how perhaps they're not so far removed from you after all. Everyone thinks the same way, we all have the same instincts, the same goals, the same fears. We all get up in the morning and decide what to do with our lives. People have their own motivations for doing something. Perhaps their priorities are not the same as yours. Sometimes people just want to be happy. You don't always have to worry about appearance, prestige, money, class, or many other things you seem to value.

To be honest, it makes you sound like an elitist, pompous jerk. And you're still young. Perhaps if you would open your mind up a little, you would be able to get to know those you don't associate yourself with readily a bit better. And hopefully in doing so you learn to respect people different from yourself.

Essentially, I think you could do with a healthy dollop of self-criticism and modesty.

I don't smoke. Partially because of the health concerns, but mostly because I know I am incredibly prone to addiction. I can't stand the idea of having physical dependency on a substance, and I know that if I even try smoking, I likely will become dependent. Just the fact that so many people have a desire to quit is motivation enough every time I think about trying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back