Smoking at a young age
May 27, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #2 of 116
In Indonesia smoking is endemic. Far far worse than it is here. The majority of the population smokes, and there isn't any cultural taboo against it. What contributes to the problem is that the cigarette industry is a major lobby there, so all those restrictions that you may find in the US and western Europe just aren't present. You have TV ads, magazine spreads, celebrity endorsements, et cetera ad nauseum. In much of the society in fact, people will actually look down on a person if they don't smoke. It just isn't a good situation there.

May 27, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #3 of 116
I didn't start smoking till I was 25. Only reason I started was at the job I worked everyone took so many smoke breaks and I never got any so I started smoking so I could take breaks and now I'm hooked :p

May 27, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #4 of 116

Quote:
I didn't start smoking till I was 25. Only reason I started was at the job I worked everyone took so many smoke breaks and I never got any so I started smoking so I could take breaks and now I'm hooked :p

I know what you mean.. I smoked in high school and then I quit for a year or so. Then I changed jobs to one where lots of people smoked, and took smoke breaks.. Then I started up again.

What I think is dumb is that you're allowed "smoke breaks" by law in some states (I think), but if you don't smoke many times an employer might see you as lazy or whatever if you want to take a non-smoke break instead..

May 27, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #6 of 116
Holy crap nuts.

Well, that kid isn't going to make it into his 20s, if even close to that. I've been a smoker for about eight years and I drew the line to limit myself before I even reached a pack a day-- these days, supposing I don't go out every evening, I can make a large king-size pack last about three days.

I think it'd be great to quit, but I have no motivation to do so. I try to deter other people from starting smoking, but as a smoker, they take it as insincere sarcasm. :/

May 27, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #7 of 116
Quote:
In Indonesia smoking is endemic. Far far worse than it is here. The majority of the population smokes, and there isn't any cultural taboo against it. What contributes to the problem is that the cigarette industry is a major lobby there, so all those restrictions that you may find in the US and western Europe just aren't present. You have TV ads, magazine spreads, celebrity endorsements, et cetera ad nauseum. In much of the society in fact, people will actually look down on a person if they don't smoke. It just isn't a good situation there.

It's the same in mainland China, maybe not as bad but there are people who will have problems talking you seriously in business if you don't engage in it. 

May 27, 2010 at 9:22 AM Post #8 of 116
I started smoking pot when I was 15 in 1967. Gave it up in 1980 because it started to make me feel paranoid. 

Edit:   LOL, you guys weren't talking about pot. As far as Cigarettes, never smoked one... 

May 27, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #9 of 116

Quote:
if you don't smoke many times an employer might see you as lazy or whatever if you want to take a non-smoke break instead..

They are.  Smoke breaks are a necessity for the smoker who is addicted to nicotine to get his fix the objective of which is not an excuse to stop working temporarily.  If it weren't for whiny non-smokers smoke break's wouldn't even exist since those who partake would be just smoking at their desk or whatever.

-an ex smoker 

on topic - that kid is a badass.

May 28, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #14 of 116
Whiny non-smokers?
So people have to enjoy pollution that causes cancer, or put up with asthma attacks just to kiss some smokers butt so they can freely pollute?

I started smoking when i was in 7th grade and quit when i was age 20.
Chemo due to lung cancer will do that to you.
People have every right to "whine".    Not to mention how terrible it smells to a non-smoker whos nose still works and can smell how nasty it is.
Also i wouldnt want the tar in my electronics or stanking out my hair and clothing and paperwork etc.
 I smoked anything and everything when i was young, and im glad i quit.

The cancer wasnt caused by the smoking this time, but it can cause it, and it can cause many other problems.

I suppose you wouldnt mind everyone in the office farting either? 
Quote:
They are.  Smoke breaks are a necessity for the smoker who is addicted to nicotine to get his fix the objective of which is not an excuse to stop working temporarily.  If it weren't for whiny non-smokers smoke break's wouldn't even exist since those who partake would be just smoking at their desk or whatever.

-an ex smoker 

on topic - that kid is a badass.

May 28, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #15 of 116
I'm with Drag0n on this one :)  I'd rather no smoking or farting in my office
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back