Smoking at a young age
Nov 4, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #108 of 116

Quote:
Not sure what you mean.

you smoke less pot because it's expensive and it's not because you "need" it like cigarettes where you actually feel discomfort physically. you only want to smoke pot because it's "fun". Edit: like estreeter said, nobody (I hope) smokes pot every couple hours or so unlike cigarettes

Nov 4, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #109 of 116

Quote:
You must not know many people living with HIV and all the complications it creates.

Thats true, but I've known plenty with emphysema and a few who contracted lung cancer. Babies can be born with the HIV gene, and thats a tragedy. They can also be born underweight/premature and with lifelong diseases like asthma, all because their mothers smoked during pregnancy. Its just so completely needless - even heroin addicts dont shoot up every 3-4 hours.

Nov 4, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #110 of 116
Quote:
Do you condone the use of alcohol?

No, i do wine though since it seems more healthier.

Quote:
That is more than three.

And there we go, moderation! Suddenly, things are no longer simply good and bad, just bad IN EXCESS. The world is not black and white.

I was editing my Facebook, and i case across the other favorite quote section, so i added them.

Quote:

you do need to grow up

... Any advise
rolleyes.gif

Nov 4, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #111 of 116
Quote:
you smoke less pot because it's expensive and it's not because you "need" it like cigarettes where you actually feel discomfort physically. you only want to smoke pot because it's "fun"

Do you have sources for that?

Frat boys don't count.

cifani, wine is alcoholic. Alcohol is actually more dangerous than marijuana, in the short run. While I doubt you'll drink yourself to death in one sitting with wine, it's possible. You can't overdose on marijuana.

Nov 4, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #113 of 116
Quote:
IMO, pot is healthier in the long run then cigarettes, because it isn't as addictive (no physical addiction, just mental, for cigarettes, it's both physical and mental) just my thought

Marijuana is addictive.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2677398

It also negatively affects your general health:
http://spi.sagepub.com/content/20/1/23.abstract
Quote:
Habitual marijuana use may lead to the following effects on the lung: (1) acute and chronic bronchitis; (2) extensive microscopic abnormalities in the cells lining the bronchial passages, some of which may be pre-malignant; (3) overexpression of molecular markers of progression to lung cancer in bronchial tissue; (4) abnormally increased accumulation of inflammatory cells (alveolar macrophages) in the lung; and (5) impairment in the function of these immune-effector cells (reduced ability to kill micro-organisms and tumour cells) and in their ability to produce protective inflammatory cytokines. Clinically, the major pulmonary consequences that may ensue from regular marijuana use are pulmonary infections and respiratory cancer. Infections of the lung are more likely in marijuana users due to a combination of smoking-related damage to the ciliated cells in the bronchial passages (the lung's first line of defense against inhaled micro-organisms) and marijuana-related impairment in the function of alveolar macrophages (the principal immune cells in the lung responsible for defending it against infection). Patients with pre-existing immune deficits due to AIDS or cancer chemotherapy might be expected to be particularly vulnerable to marijuana-related pulmonary infections. Furthermore, biochemical, cellular, genetic, animal and human studies all suggest that marijuana may be an important risk factor for the development of respiratory cancer. However, proof that habitual use of marijuana does in fact lead to respiratory cancer must await the results of well-designed case-control epidemiologic studies that should now be feasible after the passage of 30 years since the initiation of widespread marijuana use among young individuals in our society in the mid-1960s.

Last but not least, you get even worse tar buildup from marijuana than cigarettes:
http://www.drugscience.org/Petition/C2B.html

Quote:
Considerable research has been done on the effects of marijuana smoke on the lungs by Donald Tashkin of UCLA and his colleagues.
"[M]arijuana smoking resulted in a tar burden to the respiratory tract that was 3.5 to 4.5 times greater than that produced by tobacco smoking in the same subjects. Furthermore, smoking a single marijuana cigarette caused a fourfold greater increment in carboxyhemoglobin saturation than did smoking a single tobacco cigarette."(8)

"In view of the many similarities in the smoke contents of marijuana and tobacco, it has been argued that habitually smoking a few marijuana cigarettes a day may have a proportionately less harmful long-term effect on the lungs than regularly smoking several times more tobacco cigarettes. This argument assumes that the number of cigarettes smoked is directly proportional to the dose of smoke contents inhaled; however this assumption ignores the ways in which the characteristics of smoking may influence the delivery of the combustion products of cigarettes."(9)
"It is also noteworthy that most tobacco cigarettes currently in use are filter-tipped and have a relatively low tar content, but marijuana cigarettes do not contain filters and generate about twice as much tar as tobacco per unit of weight, assuming a similar smoking profile. Furthermore, the techniques for smoking marijuana and tobacco differ substantially: on the average, with marijuana the inhalation, or "puff," volume is about two-thirds larger, the depth of smoke inhalation about 40% greater, and breath holding about four times longer than those characteristics of tobacco smoking.

These differences in filtration and smoking technique can result in about a fourfold greater amount of tar delivered to and retained in the lungs from the smoking of marijuana than from a comparable amount of tobacco, thus potentially amplifying the harmful effects of marijuana on the lungs."(10)

The exposure of the lungs to harmful particulates represents one of two possible health threats provided by marijuana use. The other possible threat is whether or not marijuana smoke affects the lung's ability to protect itself from harmful bacteria and clean itself of the harmful particulates produced by the smoke.

Author's bio:
http://www.lung.med.ucla.edu/faculty/tashkin.htm
Quote:
Donald P. Tashkin, M.D. Emeritus Professor of Medicine
Medical Director of the Pulmonary Function Laboratory
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA

Don't kid yourself into thinking that smoking marijuana is any healthier than cigarettes.

Nov 4, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #114 of 116

Quote:
... Well, just to let people know these are three quotes on my Facebook just so you guys can get a better idea of who i am.

"Remember to always aim high and go for your dreams. Even if they aren't apparent at first, sometimes little steps can bring you a lot closer, faster than you think. Best of luck, and now... go own the world."-Ravi Vora

"A man must be big enough to admit his mistakes, smart enough to profit from them, and strong enough to correct them." – John C. Maxwell

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere." – Albert Einstein

Be the change you wish to see in the world- Mohatma Gandhi

Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it. – Maya Angelou

Act enthusiastic and you will be enthusiastic. – Dale Carnegie

The greatest reward in becoming a millionaire is not the amount of money that you earn. It is the kind of person that you have to become to become a millionaire in the first place - Jim Rohn

So i guess to better answer your question, “Whatever you do, do it in moderation”.

you would od just fine in a beauty contest round of "how would you change the world" questions.

this one needs to be applied ASAP.

Nov 4, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #116 of 116
Quote:
There's your problem...

Not to further derail the thread, but I'll pitch by two cents anyways. I went to three different high-schools in Canada, graduated last year, and not that many people smoked cigarettes at any of the schools. Comparatively of course. There was always the two distinct groups of people, the "smokers" who stood around outside between, after, and before classes smoking. And then all the non-smokers who, rather obviously, didn't smoke. There was also a rather obvious correlation between the success/grades of the smokers and non-smokers. I never had anyone who smoked in any of the AP or "academic" (ridiculously broken system, but that's another discussion) classes I was in. The smokers were always in the levels below, always had more issues with attendance , and stuff like that. But that's more specific personal qualities (or lack thereof) than a direct influence of cigarettes. If someone of that group didn't smoke, chances are they'd start, as it's been said before in this thread, just to "fit in".

But, on the current topic of marijuana and other "drugs", they're completely different; at least in my experiences. It really changes depending on where you are, each city and school kind of all follow a general similar opinion on that stuff. Here in Ottawa, pot's not nearly as popular as it is in other cities. In my hometown (Thunder Bay) you'd be hard pressed to find a highschool student who hasn't tried it at least once. Vancouver was similar, but I wasn't there for that long so meh. And it's not just the same "smokers" who slack off in school and are considered "failures of society", the kids who have 90+ averages and all the "nerds" would partake as well. Not to get into the whole marijuana is bad for you debate (which it probably isn't), but it's clearly not nearly as life shortening as cigarettes. Personally, I'm in the same boat as Raguvian. I don't take anything to extremes, but I'm not a complete conservatist either. I've had great times while "under the influence" of certain substances, didn't make me change my outlook on life, but it also didn't make me a complete failure either. It depends on what you're views are, I don't discount anything without trying (within reason of course). If Cifani chooses to do so, then let him wallow in blissful ignorance and move on. 

I'm in university for Computer Systems Engineering, I've worked for the Government and in private industry, and hardly ever use what I've "learned" in school... But again, that's another discussion.

Phaha, thanks for your two cents. Let me just say, i dont apply myself very well, as im a B and C kind of kind, and i take into consideration that the school self is broken. Etc, etc; i understand my parents when they do need a grade to say that im smart, though i know a letter means BS.

Quote:
you would od just fine in a beauty contest round of "how would you change the world" questions.

this one needs to be applied ASAP.

Interesting...

Quote:

What's his mistakes?

IDK, but i take it as a compliment
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back