Smoking at a young age
Nov 4, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #91 of 116

Quote:
I hope he's less elitist and naive there.
Seriously cifani, you sound like you have a lot of growing up to do. Not everything is as black and white as you make it out to be. Maybe you should apply your "deep thinking" to some thinking about other people, their feelings, their thoughts, and how perhaps they're not so far removed from you after all. Everyone thinks the same way, we all have the same instincts, the same goals, the same fears. We all get up in the morning and decide what to do with our lives. People have their own motivations for doing something. Perhaps their priorities are not the same as yours. Sometimes people just want to be happy. You don't always have to worry about appearance, prestige, money, class, or many other things you seem to value.
To be honest, it makes you sound like an elitist, pompous jerk. And you're still young. Perhaps if you would open your mind up a little, you would be able to get to know those you don't associate yourself with readily a bit better. And hopefully in doing so you learn to respect people different from yourself.
Essentially, I think you could do with a healthy dollop of self-criticism and modesty.
I don't smoke. Partially because of the health concerns, but mostly because I know I am incredibly prone to addiction. I can't stand the idea of having physical dependency on a substance, and I know that if I even try smoking, I likely will become dependent. Just the fact that so many people have a desire to quit is motivation enough every time I think about trying.

I'm cutting him a little slack because I think he's still in high school, and back in high school, all of my friends and I thought that drinking and drugs were terrible, but honestly that is very naive. I hope that cifani learns that drinking and even other drugs doesn't make someone any less of a person, and that if he chooses not to partake, it isn't because he thinks he's better than everyone. I'm not a heavy drinker or drug user but I can see why some people do some drugs. I myself have taken some substances that would probably make cifani think lowly of me, but I will say that it really opened my eyes WRT life and how I live it.

I don't smoke because I had severe asthma, the smoke makes me feel sick and I am a runner, but that doesn't make me think any less of anyone who does smoke.

I think cifani needs to grow up and that's coming from someone who still needs to grow up as well. All I can say is I wasn't as snobby as cifani was when I was younger.
wink.gif

Nov 4, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #92 of 116

Quote:
I'm cutting him a little slack because I think he's still in high school, and back in high school, all of my friends and I thought that drinking and drugs were terrible, but honestly that is very naive. I hope that cifani learns that drinking and even other drugs doesn't make someone any less of a person, and that if he chooses not to partake, it isn't because he thinks he's better than everyone. I'm not a heavy drinker or drug user but I can see why some people do some drugs. I myself have taken some substances that would probably make cifani think lowly of me, but I will say that it really opened my eyes WRT life and how I live it.

I don't smoke because I had severe asthma, the smoke makes me feel sick and I am a runner, but that doesn't make me think any less of anyone who does smoke.

I think cifani needs to grow up and that's coming from someone who still needs to grow up as well. All I can say is I wasn't as snobby as cifani was when I was younger.
wink.gif

Isn't that the other way around? Students tend to think smoking is okay and as people grow older they try to stop. 

Nov 4, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #93 of 116

Quote:

Isn't that the other way around? Students tend to think smoking is okay and as people grow older they try to stop. 

Well I think for a lot of people in high school are still naive and want to stay as far away from drugs as possible, and then in college they end up trying everything.
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #95 of 116

Quote:
Hahaha! I guess there's a big difference living life in Australia and United States. 

Tobacco and marijuana is actually very common in Australian Highschools nowadays, theres always that one or more student that uses them. IMO most people around me simply don't care and think of it as a matter of choice.

Nov 4, 2011 at 4:37 AM Post #96 of 116

Quote:

Tobacco and marijuana is actually very common in Australian Highschools nowadays, theres always that one or more student that uses them. IMO most people around me simply don't care and think of it as a matter of choice.

Not in my year level. I guess I'm a lucky one.

Nov 4, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #97 of 116
Quote:
So it's not trashy if you are dressed in a classy way while doing it, in which case, it is very masculine?

Being fat is also unhealthy and gross, does that mean that I should always look down on fat people as my first reaction?

Well, modern society depicts people do these stupid things, marijuana is not good and thats why its illegal. Why do it, when its illegal? Its illegal for a reason.

Quote:
are you saying you are a totally different person in real life? 
rolleyes.gif

We'll, im a kid at school, and when i get home i get busy and work and make some $$$

Quote:
I hope he's less elitist and naive there.
Seriously cifani, you sound like you have a lot of growing up to do. Not everything is as black and white as you make it out to be. Maybe you should apply your "deep thinking" to some thinking about other people, their feelings, their thoughts, and how perhaps they're not so far removed from you after all. Everyone thinks the same way, we all have the same instincts, the same goals, the same fears. We all get up in the morning and decide what to do with our lives. People have their own motivations for doing something. Perhaps their priorities are not the same as yours. Sometimes people just want to be happy. You don't always have to worry about appearance, prestige, money, class, or many other things you seem to value.
To be honest, it makes you sound like an elitist, pompous jerk. And you're still young. Perhaps if you would open your mind up a little, you would be able to get to know those you don't associate yourself with readily a bit better. And hopefully in doing so you learn to respect people different from yourself.
Essentially, I think you could do with a healthy dollop of self-criticism and modesty.
I don't smoke. Partially because of the health concerns, but mostly because I know I am incredibly prone to addiction. I can't stand the idea of having physical dependency on a substance, and I know that if I even try smoking, I likely will become dependent. Just the fact that so many people have a desire to quit is motivation enough every time I think about trying.

Wow, with my "deep thinking" i do look at the other angles on how people look at what i am doing, soo. Personally i think i am traditional in my values, and that's not because im a missionary and deeply involved with god, but that it just the way i want to live my life. I also watch Joel Osteen, because i like how he teaches me better ideas, and how people do sacrifice for what them have. Ill take being an elitist though
cool.gif
Maybe i get it from striving to be an engineer or seeing and meeting lots of entrepreneur and loving what they have, and being able to build a successful business from the bottom up.

Quote:

wink.gif

Nov 4, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #98 of 116
Quote:

It's both! In high school and college people are going through the early phases of maturity, and need to feel unique to set them apart from everyone else in their generation. So they often take extreme stances on subjects that aren't really so black and white, to differentiate themselves (though it doesn't actually work, just like anti-culture hipsters end up as a culture). That's my interpretation anyway.

Quote:
Well, modern society depicts people do these stupid things, marijuana is not good and thats why its illegal. Why do it, when its illegal? Its illegal for a reason.

Marijuana shouldn't be illegal. It's less healthy than cigarettes, but really no more dangerous. The government is missing out on a lot of tax money.

Nov 4, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #99 of 116
Quote:
Marijuana shouldn't be illegal. It's less healthy than cigarettes, but really no more dangerous. The government is missing out on a lot of tax money.

eek.gif
angry_face.gif
Who cares about tax money!!!? Real people dont waste their life half blow out of their mind, when you could be working and making money with way better pleasures in life.

Nov 4, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #100 of 116

Quote:
Wow, with my "deep thinking" i do look at the other angles on how people look at what i am doing, soo. Personally i think i am traditional in my values, and that's not because im a missionary and deeply involved with god, but that it just the way i want to live my life. I also watch Joel Osteen, because i like how he teaches me better ideas, and how people do sacrifice for what them have. Ill take being an elitist though
cool.gif
Maybe i get it from striving to be an engineer or seeing and meeting lots of entrepreneur and loving what they have, and being able to build a successful business from the bottom up.

I don't think that 'striving to be an engineer' or having an entrepreneurial spirit have anything to do with being elitist (>coming from an engineering major). In fact, plenty of engineers, businessmen, people that you see as successful have chosen to smoke, drink, or do other drugs. These things a personal decisions that do not reflect on the character or success of an individual.

I've helped you with your math homework several times on these forums, does the fact that I smoke and drink on occasion invalidate the answers?

Nov 4, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #101 of 116
Quote:
I don't think that 'striving to be an engineer' or having an entrepreneurial spirit have anything to do with being elitist (>coming from an engineering major). In fact, plenty of engineers, businessmen, people that you see as successful have chosen to smoke, drink, or do other drugs. These things a personal decisions that do not reflect on the character or success of an individual.

I've helped you with your math homework several times on these forums, does the fact that I smoke and drink on occasion invalidate the answers?

... Well, just to let people know these are three quotes on my Facebook just so you guys can get a better idea of who i am.

"Remember to always aim high and go for your dreams. Even if they aren't apparent at first, sometimes little steps can bring you a lot closer, faster than you think. Best of luck, and now... go own the world."-Ravi Vora

"A man must be big enough to admit his mistakes, smart enough to profit from them, and strong enough to correct them." – John C. Maxwell

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere." – Albert Einstein

Be the change you wish to see in the world- Mohatma Gandhi

Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it. – Maya Angelou

Act enthusiastic and you will be enthusiastic. – Dale Carnegie

The greatest reward in becoming a millionaire is not the amount of money that you earn. It is the kind of person that you have to become to become a millionaire in the first place - Jim Rohn

So i guess to better answer your question, “Whatever you do, do it in moderation”.

Nov 4, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #103 of 116
That is more than three.

And there we go, moderation! Suddenly, things are no longer simply good and bad, just bad IN EXCESS. The world is not black and white.

Nov 4, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #104 of 116

Quote:
That is more than three.

And there we go, moderation! Suddenly, things are no longer simply good and bad, just bad IN EXCESS. The world is not black and white.

Quote:
eek.gif
angry_face.gif
Who cares about tax money!!!? Real people dont waste their life half blow out of their mind, when you could be working and making money with way better pleasures in life.

you do need to grow up 

Nov 4, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #105 of 116

Quote:
It's both! In high school and college people are going through the early phases of maturity, and need to feel unique to set them apart from everyone else in their generation. So they often take extreme stances on subjects that aren't really so black and white, to differentiate themselves (though it doesn't actually work, just like anti-culture hipsters end up as a culture). That's my interpretation anyway.

IMO, pot is healthier in the long run then cigarettes, because it isn't as addictive (no physical addiction, just mental, for cigarettes, it's both physical and mental) just my thought

Users who are viewing this thread

Back