SJY Audio Starry Night Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jun 9, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #92 of 461
Wow!
The itch is there, but i will wait for some measurements / impressions.
He did the hard thing, making a great closed back planar, so this one should sound good no matter what, it's way easier.

Right along ZMF's stabilized drop and 1/5 of the price...
This man knows how to do business!

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #93 of 461
Is there no head gear thread for these?
I used the search function but found nothing...
Noone has added them to head gear yet?
I have to create a head gear page first to do a review right?

Or i could just post it in here, of course then the visibility will be way lower...

:edit:
I'm creating one and then also post my review.

:edit2:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sjy-starry-night.26550/

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #94 of 461
Jun 13, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #95 of 461
I still don't think there is any headphone in this price range that I know of that looks better (cup wise) and these sound good too. These headphones are really good for kpop/jpop actually if that is your thing because of the way the songs are mastered and all the upper mids and treble being up there (anime edition Starry Night when?). If someone wants me to test something let me know
I listen a lot to Katie Melua, Missy Higgins and Rurutia. I am really curious how these female voices sound on this headphone. I am in doubt if I should go for this closed one or try the new open 'Moonlight' version.

Jun 13, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #96 of 461
I listen a lot to Katie Melua, Missy Higgins and Rurutia. I am really curious how these female voices sound on this headphone. I am in doubt if I should go for this closed one or try the new open 'Moonlight' version.
Once I have some time a bit later today, I'll check that for you and reply back.

Jun 13, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #97 of 461
The Moonlight version is still a few months away, so you have a little time to make your decision. I listen to a few female Jpop artists on my Starry Night V1s and it does sound really good, but they sound different depending on the amp you pair them with. My moonlight is pre-ordered, and I will post my thoughts after spending some time with them. What amp and DAC are you using?

Jun 13, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #98 of 461
The Moonlight version is still a few months away, so you have a little time to make your decision. I listen to a few female Jpop artists on my Starry Night V1s and it does sound really good, but they sound different depending on the amp you pair them with. My moonlight is pre-ordered, and I will post my thoughts after spending some time with them. What amp and DAC are you using?
Thanks for the info.

At the moment I don't have a specific headphone amp but I wanted to hook them to speaker terminals of my Denon X3500h with a Hifiman He Adapter.
But I might go down the road of a Topping L70+E70 Velvet setup just for the Headphone.

Jun 13, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #99 of 461
Thanks for the info.

At the moment I don't have a specific headphone amp but I wanted to hook them to speaker terminals of my Denon X3500h with a Hifiman He Adapter.
But I might go down the road of a Topping L70+E70 Velvet setup just for the Headphone.
The speaker amp might do the trick as I have hooked up mine to a Schiit Audio Gjallarhorn and it paired fairly well.

Also, The new Topping A70 pro might be the better option if you go the headphone amp rout. I own the L70 and it works, but you are hitting 80% + on the pot lol.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #100 of 461
I have posted it before, but here is a list of my gear: Bifrost 2/64, Soloist 3XP /w supercharger, Topping L70, Schiit Gjallarhorn, Schiit Asgard 3, and SMSL A300. Feeding the DAC via a Wiim Pro using coax.

Jun 13, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #101 of 461
I have posted it before, but here is a list of my gear: Bifrost 2/64, Soloist 3XP /w supercharger, Topping L70, Schiit Gjallarhorn, Schiit Asgard 3, and SMSL A300. Feeding the DAC via a Wiim Pro using coax.
You have quite an impressive gear collection!

The combination of Bifrost 2/64, Soloist 3XP with a supercharger, Topping L70, Schiit Gjallarhorn, Schiit Asgard 3, and SMSL A300 demonstrates your passion for high-quality audio.

Jun 13, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #102 of 461
You have quite an impressive gear collection!

The combination of Bifrost 2/64, Soloist 3XP with a supercharger, Topping L70, Schiit Gjallarhorn, Schiit Asgard 3, and SMSL A300 demonstrates your passion for high-quality audio.
Lol, thanks. My descent into the rabbit hole started with a Asgard 3, Mani, and a Sennheiser Hd 660s. I list my gear just to give some context to my opinions on pairings.

Jun 13, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #103 of 461
I would honestly check if there is one Starry Night that you would absolutely love to own, every cup looks unique.
I was in the very lucky position to be at the right time in the right place so to speak, and grab the only (!) black / gold stabilized that popped up. I suspect that he will focus on the open back Moonlight for now, so more closed back variants may not appear as frequently as before.
For example, there is only 1 green one left.

Also: Zeos will do a (probably hyped) video about it soon(ish), i saw him having a bunch of them in a short right before Highend Munich, so demand may spike after it.

That being said: I suspect that the Moonlight will sound a bit better, or at least, different. It states that he uses a "pure silver driver", and i can guarantee you that it will have a bigger soundstage just because it's a open back. Will it also be focused on the upper midrange for female vocals? Nobody can tell (yet).

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #104 of 461
Once I have some time a bit later today, I'll check that for you and reply back.
@ThePupil All three of those artists sound better with EQ vs the stock tuning to me. Just scrubbed though many songs over 30 minutes. A bit too forward with stock tuning in this case with more noticable ssss on trailing words that end with s vs EQ which takes that edge off. I personally prefer the V1 sound stock to the V2 sound stock for these artists. However with EQ I prefer the V2 overall.

Jun 13, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #105 of 461
@ThePupil All three of those artists sound better with EQ vs the stock tuning to me. Just scrubbed though many songs over 30 minutes. A bit too forward with stock tuning in this case with more noticable ssss on trailing words that end with s vs EQ which takes that edge off. I personally prefer the V1 sound stock to the V2 sound stock for these artists. However with EQ I prefer the V2 overall.
Thanks for testing!

I might just wait a bit on the Moonlight version. I really dislike the sses) 😅

Users who are viewing this thread

Back