SJY Audio Starry Night Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jun 13, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #106 of 461
I do not have the same experience at all, maybe it's not enough juice for them. For me even test passages like 0:29 "Queen - Too Much Love Will Kill You" does sound pleasant. Yes, you can tell that the sound should be sharp and not enjoyable, but it is enjoyable and doesn't hurt. It's like a fresh breeze that carries the S's and they fly by very tastefully.

Goddamn, Freddy sounds so great with them...

On my RME ADI-2 DAC FS it's clearly not as good. Maybe the Starry Night is also chain sensitive and a good R2R helps...
I need to crank to volume up to -5db (+6 is max) on it. It's still good, but definitively not as enjoable...

Yes, 100%, the Ferrum does sound way better.
"La La Latch - Pentatonix" 0:46 is very soft and enjoyable, the RME struggles here.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #107 of 461
I do not have the same experience at all, maybe it's not enough juice for them. For me even test passages like 0:29 "Queen - Too Much Love Will Kill You" does sound pleasant. Yes, you can tell that the sound should be sharp and not enjoyable, but it is enjoyable and doesn't hurt. It's like a fresh breeze that carries the S's and they fly by very tastefully.
Nah nothing to do with power they don't hurt my ears or anything, but it is more pronounced on the Ssss on certain singers. I also have among the best hearing on this forum based off all the posts I have read about listening volume here. I tried that Queen track and it's softer than those other female singers. You need sharp female vocals to test sibilance usually. I'm aware having any of that bothers some people so I brought it up.

Jun 13, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #108 of 461
I also have among the best hearing on this forum based off all the posts I have read about listening volume here.
Ok then. We are all wrong, you are right.

What's a way too much sibilant track? I wanna test it...

Jun 13, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #109 of 461
Ok then. We are all wrong, you are right.

What's a way too much sibilant track? I wanna test it...
I am not claiming you are wrong because I am not hearing sibilance either (just more pronounced sss stock). I was more mentioning that in regards to you saying that I don't have enough juice. I can listen 25% dial turned on low gain on EF400, and it's loud enough for me. High gain makes zero difference on the sound when I tried.

Go through that playlist that's one of the artists someone here mentioned earlier so I looked them up.

Jun 13, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #110 of 461
Thanks.

I mean, it's still not sharp and not enjoyable. What do you expect? I even swapped to the Susvara and it's a tick better, yes, but you STILL hear the S's a lot, they STILL are VERY pronounced.
???
Do we actually mean the same?
Does it bother you? Do you expect these consonants to be blunted and hidden away? Should they be dulled down so they don't appear as much? Then you probably using a way treble intense headphone without any sparkle and air (which i love).
I don't quite understand what you're looking for, sorry.

I can't turn the volume up real loud anyway since she's singing often right in the shout region, which is bothering me way more than the S's. Even on the Susvara.
I'm scratching my head here... :gs1000smile:

What headphone sounds perfect for you with this?

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #111 of 461
Thanks.

I mean, it's still not sharp and not enjoyable. What do you expect? I even swapped to the Susvara and it's a tick better, yes, but you STILL hear the S's a lot, they STILL are VERY pronounced.
???
Do we actually mean the same?
Does it bother you? Do you expect these consonants to be blunted and hidden away? Should they be dulled down so they don't appear as much? Then you probably using a way treble intense headphone without any sparkle and air (which i love).
I don't quite understand what you're looking for, sorry.

I can't turn the volume up real loud anyway since she's singing often right in the shout region, which is bothering me way more than the S's. Even on the Susvara.
I'm scratching my head here... :gs1000smile:

What headphone sounds perfect for you with this?
Well to be honest no headphone sounds perfect to me since different tracks are mastered different ways plus I vastly prefer speakers. I know that's kind of a cop out answer, but I do like the Starry Nights. I just was replying to someone asking about artists like that, and for them they may want something more smoothed down in that region. I guess I'll just say that if any headphone sounded perfect to us for every use case we wouldn't have multiple headphones in our bio :wink:

Jun 14, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #112 of 461
Well to be honest no headphone sounds perfect to me since different tracks are mastered different ways plus I vastly prefer speakers. I know that's kind of a cop out answer, but I do like the Starry Nights. I just was replying to someone asking about artists like that, and for them they may want something more smoothed down in that region. I guess I'll just say that if any headphone sounded perfect to us for every use case we wouldn't have multiple headphones in our bio :wink:
The fact is that everyone perceives sound differently, so no two people will hear a track and come out of it with 100% the same experience. Your ears are the biggest variable.

Jun 17, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #114 of 461
Ordered my pair of Moonlight a week ago, and I can't wait to get them in 2 months or so. SJY Audio is going to launch/publish a new site that will have more details regarding them. There is also a review incoming from Z. I am an open back headphone guy, so it will be interesting to hear what he thinks.

Jun 17, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #115 of 461
My pair is currently at another fellow headfier, for him the energy in the upper mids at the 2k pina gain is too much, especially when listening a tick louder. For me it was on the border, rarely over it. It makes female vocals really pop out though.
I would love to see a frequency response graph for the Moonlight if it shares that trait.

Jun 17, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #116 of 461
My pair is currently at another fellow headfier, for him the energy in the upper mids at the 2k pina gain is too much, especially when listening a tick louder. For me it was on the border, rarely over it. It makes female vocals really pop out though.
I would love to see a frequency response graph for the Moonlight if it shares that trait.
Both the driver and the cups are new designs, so it is anyone's guess as to what the end result will be. Lol

Jun 18, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #118 of 461
I think the point is to spread the word about these more than normally. They get zero coverage. I'm sure he wanted to show the different styles in real life instead of just pictures. It's a completely new unknown company. Also, he might send a few of them to other reviewers. I don't think that Zeos ordered 5 of them, i think that the creator is very happy that someone gives them a chance like Zeos did in his previous videos about them when they were not nearly as complete as a product as they are now.
I agree though, allthough 2k is a bit more realistic.
They look fantastic and sound very good for the price if you can handle the more forward upper mids. No, they are not perfect, but for 600 bucks you can't expect a ZMF TOTL.

There are a lot of infos about the Moonlight now, just scroll down on the site, theres also a freqeuncy response graph (with a hefty 3k peak). Of course noone knows how it will actually sound and if it's enjoyable or way too aggressive.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2023 at 11:23 PM Post #119 of 461
Moonlight will need a lot of power to drive properly based on the current iteration of the driver (58 Ohms, and 85db sensitivity). We shall see what the final release driver will end up being. If it remains close what is listed at the moment, then my Soloist 3XP is going to get a workout. 😂

Jun 18, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #120 of 461
Moonlight will need a lot of power to drive properly based on the current iteration of the driver (58 Ohms, and 85db sensitivity). We shall see what the final release driver will end up being. If it remains close what is listed at the moment, then my Soloist 3XP is going to get a workout. 😂
That is very close to the HE6se V2's.
Meaning it would partner perfectly with my iFi. :grin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back