SJY Audio Starry Night Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jan 22, 2024 at 12:24 PM Post #331 of 435
Now, SJY has the UMI, which looks nothing like the Caldera, but you lose the nice wood option and have a far uglier product in my opinion.

I'm not in really a position that I'd want to comment or pick a side or anything (not my place really) but I did want to bring up a quick thing that SJY has updated.

https://sjyaudio.com/products/umi-zambia-rosewood

He has a Umi wood option with Zambia Rosewood.

Jan 22, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #332 of 435
I'm not in really a position that I'd want to comment or pick a side or anything (not my place really) but I did want to bring up a quick thing that SJY has updated.

https://sjyaudio.com/products/umi-zambia-rosewood

He has a Umi wood option with Zambia Rosewood.
I don't think that looks all that great, but that's just personal opinion. Now, a nice green/blue mix like the Moonlight jade would look better, but really it just feels like a Veneer more than anything. You lose a lot of the depth that the Moonlight gives you.

Jan 22, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #333 of 435
I don't think that looks all that great, but that's just personal opinion. Now, a nice green/blue mix like the Moonlight jade would look better, but really it just feels like a Veneer more than anything. You lose a lot of the depth that the Moonlight gives you.

Yeah, it's not everyone's cup of tea of a look. I do enjoy the standard but I'd be lying if that new wood option doesn't appeal to me too. But it's all up to personal taste for sure.

Jan 22, 2024 at 2:48 PM Post #334 of 435
Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #335 of 435
I'm bored, so I'm going to weigh in here. I've looked back through this thread and it seems like the only thing that SJY did was copy paste some terms of service. OH NO! Who cares? That's an easy fix and hardly counts as copyright infringement. It's definitely not worth the weird hatred they've suddenly earned from ZMF fanboys. It's a simple fix, and hell, might have been done by an AI that copied the TOS from another website automatically. SJY is a college student - I did dumber things than that as a college student designing websites. I own a set of Moonlights, which I bought after reading all this crap just to support him. It's a good headset and it's nothing like the Caldera.

I also own a ZMF Verite Open, which, again, is nothing like the SJY Moonlight, but which took me OVER 2 months to get, despite the 0-8 week promise. SJY did not charge me the price of the headphones and keep the money while shipping ZERO product for over 2 months, ZMF did that. SJY shipped the Moonlight out the next day, and while it's not perfect, he is making nice, solid headphones with good comfort and good sound for a good price. The wood isn't as nice as ZMF, and I don't expect it to be. I don't expect anything to be as nice for thousands of dollars less, but I do like supporting small companies trying to do their best, which ZMF used to be, and still claims they are (frankly, they need more people, their 12 week wait time right now is stupid.)

The Moonlight are nothing like the Caldera, and the fact that anyone even brought them up in the same sentence is laughable. They share a driver type and some styling concepts - that's like comparing the Verite to the Meze 109 because they're both dynamic drivers and have round wooden earcups. No one seems to be getting upset that the Caldera is planar with stylized grills and wood cups like the Audeze LCD series - despite them coming years before. No one is getting upset that almost every IEM is a similar shape and material using similar drivers. Now, SJY has the UMI, which looks nothing like the Caldera, but you lose the nice wood option and have a far uglier product in my opinion. Again, whatever, the ZMF bullies strike again, forcing a cool concept into obscurity because it might be competing with them. Who's next? Gonna go after SASH? JM Audio again? Anyone else who dares to choose wood and metal as a medium?

Odds are the mods will take this post down because they seem to delete anything that even remotely dares to say something negative about ZMF (pays Head-Fi well to advertise), who, again, makes really solid headphones, but who used to mod T50RPs before creating his own style. They looked a whole lot like a T50RP (they were), but no one is whining about that despite it actually being someone else's product they modified and sold. I have never seen Fostex in here whining about that. Going to someone else's thread and complaining is pathetic. Spend less time worrying about others and focus on building some of your extremely expensive, super backlogged headphones that people still pay tons for. Cool, rant complete. Feel free to rage against me now, I'll just ignore button it.
I have verite opens too and absolutely love them!!!!! I have Jm audio 2.5 closed backs and absolutely love them. I also like supporting small businesses. The only reason I never pulled the plug on moonlights was power requirements. I’m quite interested in his new umi with the red cups. No, not as beautiful as the moonlights but I hear very good things about them. I’ve also listened to verum ones from Ukraine and they were damn good for the price!!!

Jan 22, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #336 of 435
I have verite opens too and absolutely love them!!!!! I have Jm audio 2.5 closed backs and absolutely love them. I also like supporting small businesses. The only reason I never pulled the plug on moonlights was power requirements. I’m quite interested in his new umi with the red cups. No, not as beautiful as the moonlights but I hear very good things about them. I’ve also listened to verum ones from Ukraine and they were damn good for the price!!!
Power requirements? They're running quite easily from my amp. My JM 2.5s come in later this week. The Moonlights are easier to run than my CA-1a by far and I was able to power those from a Hifiman FE400.

Jan 22, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #337 of 435
Power requirements? They're running quite easily from my amp. My JM 2.5s come in later this week. The Moonlights are easier to run than my CA-1a by far and I was able to power those from a Hifiman FE400.
Ok-that’s good to know. Jeff said my gear at the time would be absolutely sufficient (cayin iha -6) but I have pretty much all tube amps now and my Sparkos Aires . And I see there’s only a few moonlights left-sad as I assume he’s not making any more? Very interested in umi though.

Jan 22, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #338 of 435
Ok-that’s good to know. Jeff said my gear at the time would be absolutely sufficient (cayin iha -6) but I have pretty much all tube amps now and my Sparkos Aires . And I see there’s only a few moonlights left-sad as I assume he’s not making any more? Very interested in umi though.
The sale implies he may not be making any more. I grabbed a Jade while they were still available. I'm going to see if Corpse Cable can make a cable for it since the stock cable is just OK. Not exactly sure which cable would work with it since 3.5mm cables are a bit confusing - you think it'll work, then it doesn't despite looking identical, etc.

Jan 22, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #339 of 435
I went back and looked at the closed backs which I have been considering for a long time. Now they are on sale, with free shipping.
Sooo cheap, but I just bought a set of headphones a week or two ago....Hmmm. :grin:

Jan 22, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #340 of 435
I went back and looked at the closed backs which I have been considering for a long time. Now they are on sale, with free shipping.
Sooo cheap, but I just bought a set of headphones a week or two ago....Hmmm. :grin:
I own both the moonlight and the starry night v2 and they sound amazing on both my xduo xa-10 and ta-22. A good amount better on the ta-22 I also have a cayin iha6 and that thing can even run the susvara with a good amount of headroom left but didn't pair well was a bit too clean with both Sjys. Just my opinion. Personally speaking I wouldn't try pairing them with otl tube amps... But seem to do really well with hybrid tube amps. On my ta-22 88/100 low gain 74/100 on medium, and 58-59/100 on high gain is plenty loud
tmp_b3da9d6b-2692-4245-8a5c-aaf7ca6f659c.jpeg
IMG20230927121321.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 6:08 PM Post #341 of 435
I own both the moonlight and the starry night v2 and they sound amazing on both my xduo xa-10 and ta-22. A good amount better on the ta-22 I also have a cayin iha6 and that thing can even run the susvara with a good amount of headroom left but didn't pair well was a bit too clean with both Sjys. Just my opinion. Personally speaking I wouldn't try pairing them with otl tube amps... But seem to do really well with hybrid tube amps. On my ta-22 88/100 low gain 74/100 on medium, and 58-59/100 on high gain is plenty loud
My "planar amp" is the iFi Pro iCAN. Jack up the 3D and bass boost sound effects and away you go!

With my HiFiman HE6se V2's, I can only use mid gain and can't get much past 10:00, unless it is old music (60's and 70's stuff).

I think these would slide in nicely, but I just bought the FiiO FT5's (and am really enjoying them) about two weeks ago.

But I would like to have some closed back planar's.

Jan 22, 2024 at 8:21 PM Post #342 of 435
How are the starry nights? In the market for some closedbacks... that being said If the moonlights are that much better I can cope and go open.

Jan 22, 2024 at 8:25 PM Post #343 of 435
How are the starry nights? In the market for some closedbacks... that being said If the moonlights are that much better I can cope and go open.
My preference is the starry night v2 over the moonlight not saying the moonlight is bad it's just way more relaxed and more neutral. "Not as warm " as the starry night. Both compliment each other Imo.

Jan 22, 2024 at 8:26 PM Post #344 of 435
Read my review (link in my signature). Neutral / mid-centric, but good details / soundstage / seperation. Nice extension in both ends. Sometimes they are a bit too mid-forward for me, but sometimes i want exactly that.

Jan 22, 2024 at 8:35 PM Post #345 of 435

If you can go open, I'm think the Umi are winners. But I also haven't demoed the Moonlight or Starry Night so I'm not the best source here.

I've only really heard the Umi and the Horizon (the bassy flagship)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back