SJY Audio Starry Night Planar Magnetic Headphone
Feb 13, 2024 at 9:48 AM Post #361 of 444
I see the new Horizon is on preorder at the SJY website. Different for sure, some pretty nice/unique wood grill options too. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1706.png
    IMG_1706.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1705.png
    IMG_1705.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1707.png
    IMG_1707.png
    583.8 KB · Views: 0
Feb 13, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #362 of 444
I'm using the SJY pads with my Stax 007 mk2 and they sound and fit great.

Feb 15, 2024 at 6:29 PM Post #363 of 444
The Horizon gold plating sounds a lot like Susvara’s plating. I wonder if SJY is trying to copy their sound tuning as well. Looking forward to the FR charts.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #364 of 444
The Horizon gold plating sounds a lot like Susvara’s plating. I wonder if SJY is trying to copy their sound tuning as well. Looking forward to the FR charts.

From my experience with listening to them at CanJam, I believe the tuning was way more generous to the bass side. But, a lot could have changed from then.

Feb 15, 2024 at 8:10 PM Post #365 of 444
1708045854009.png

Feb 15, 2024 at 9:43 PM Post #366 of 444
That’s suspiciously very similar to the Susvara except for the bass below 100hz and that bit of elevation at 16k-20k. With most of us unable to hear above 14k, this looks like a bass EQed Susvara?

If this thing is like the Susvara, then their current source at CanJam is likely underpowered. If I recalled correctly from previous SJY reviews, the owner tuned most of his cans using a cheap 400 usd amp. Anyone recall what the source gear was for the Horizon?

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 10:08 PM Post #367 of 444
How are they "suspiciously" similar? I get the target and the rig are potentially different but the Horizon doesn't even have the signature mid scoop that all Hifiman headphones have and furthermore, the entirety of over ear Hifi headphones tuned to Harman will be similar. I get why, considering his past design choices being conscious about plagiarism in his work but, unless I'm a total bloof this is silly. Also pardon this goofed up screenshot I was unaware to how weird screenshots in windows 11 can be. Regardless I believe he tests all his stuff on the Drop THX AAA 789.
Screenshot 2024-02-15 215141.png

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 10:40 PM Post #368 of 444
How are they "suspiciously" similar? I get the target and the rig are potentially different but the Horizon doesn't even have the signature mid scoop that all Hifiman headphones have and furthermore, the entirety of over ear Hifi headphones tuned to Harman will be similar. I get why considering his past design choices consciousness about plagiarism but, unless I'm a total bloof this is silly. Also pardon this goofed up screenshot I was unaware to how weird screenshots in windows 11 can be. Screenshot 2024-02-15 215141.png
I agree with you. "suspiciously similar "...Yeah, people are funny 😄

Feb 16, 2024 at 12:28 AM Post #370 of 444
That’s suspiciously very similar to the Susvara except for the bass below 100hz and that bit of elevation at 16k-20k. With most of us unable to hear above 14k, this looks like a bass EQed Susvara?

If this thing is like the Susvara, then their current source at CanJam is likely underpowered. If I recalled correctly from previous SJY reviews, the owner tuned most of his cans using a cheap 400 usd amp. Anyone recall what the source gear was for the Horizon?
I'm going to play devil's advocate and say there has been enough sh%t-canning SJY headphones. This is now getting ridiculous!! Art imitates life, artists get inspiration from previous artists and it's the highest from of flattery.....Where did Metallica's inspiration come from??? Cavemen..............but seriously, Metallica derived inspiration from artists in the 70's and 60's who derived inspiration from the 40's and 50's....go back to Baroque (Bach et al), then go back a few hundred years prior.
Come on people, everybody copies parts of something from everybody else and as you can see - I'm a huge ZMF fan (who started out modding other people's cans......) I Love Hifiman. I'm also very interested in people like SJY, JM Audio, Erzitich, Verum Audio etc who are trying to do different things on their own (as well as Eufonika tube amps in Poland and McChannson tube amps in Australia (yes i own one of each). I own JM Audios and love them. I will own SJY at some stage. It is just petty to read a SR graph and say that someone is copying someone else. I read an IEM review (don't like IEMs personally) and the reviewer tetsed 3 different brands and all 3 looked almost identical on a SR graph - they weren't copying each other, they were all tuned similarly because those makers liked that particular tuning. Peace to all and hopefully Jeff can sell and continue to make great cans for a long time.

Feb 16, 2024 at 12:54 AM Post #371 of 444
It seems everyone assumes I’m trying accuse SJY of something nefarious. All I did was ask if they were similar though the term suspiciously could be taken negatively. My hope was trying to find a cheap version of the 6k usd Susvara. If the Horizon had good clarity and soundstage that the Sus has, it would be a great buy. It seems the people on this thread is rather sensitive.

Feb 16, 2024 at 1:01 AM Post #372 of 444
It seems everyone assumes I’m trying accuse SJY of something nefarious. All I did was ask if they were similar though the term suspiciously could be taken negatively. My hope was trying to find a cheap version of the 6k usd Susvara. If the Horizon had good clarity and soundstage that the Sus has, it would be a great buy. It seems the people on this thread is rather sensitive.
Fair enough mate - it comes on the back of recently a few people getting on here and just bagging SJY for copying - I believe it went way overboard. I personally am not overly sensitive - I don't own any of his headphones but I do read an awful lot of negativity on these forums lately and most of it (not referring to you particularly here) is non-constructive and plain nasty at times. I'm all for constructive criticism btw - these hps might not be to my liking at all. But maybe not using the terms "copying" or "suspiciously similar" would be advised. I would love also to get a Sus type hp at a fraction of the cost and much easier to drive. Look at Erzitich Charybdis - not cheap at $3000 euros but 1/2 of Sus price and apparently comes extremely close.... SoundNews gives a glowing review.

Feb 16, 2024 at 8:19 AM Post #373 of 444
Well the word suspiciously infers the worst but, I have no intention of malice just not the type to let something like that go. Anyhow you should look at the sash tres second edition. They genuinely measure identical. https://kuulokenurkka.squig.link/?share=Tres_SE_(Honeycomb_Grill)_**,Susvara_**

Feb 16, 2024 at 9:05 AM Post #374 of 444
I'm going to play devil's advocate and say there has been enough sh%t-canning SJY headphones. This is now getting ridiculous!! Art imitates life, artists get inspiration from previous artists and it's the highest from of flattery.....Where did Metallica's inspiration come from??? Cavemen..............but seriously, Metallica derived inspiration from artists in the 70's and 60's who derived inspiration from the 40's and 50's....go back to Baroque (Bach et al), then go back a few hundred years prior.
Come on people, everybody copies parts of something from everybody else and as you can see - I'm a huge ZMF fan (who started out modding other people's cans......) I Love Hifiman. I'm also very interested in people like SJY, JM Audio, Erzitich, Verum Audio etc who are trying to do different things on their own (as well as Eufonika tube amps in Poland and McChannson tube amps in Australia (yes i own one of each). I own JM Audios and love them. I will own SJY at some stage. It is just petty to read a SR graph and say that someone is copying someone else. I read an IEM review (don't like IEMs personally) and the reviewer tetsed 3 different brands and all 3 looked almost identical on a SR graph - they weren't copying each other, they were all tuned similarly because those makers liked that particular tuning. Peace to all and hopefully Jeff can sell and continue to make great cans for a long time.
Well said...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back