SJY Audio Starry Night Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jan 22, 2024 at 8:39 PM Post #346 of 444
If you can go open, I'm think the Umi are winners. But I also haven't demoed the Moonlight or Starry Night so I'm not the best source here.

I've only really heard the Umi and the Horizon (the bassy flagship)
So there’s another model coming out after the umi?

Jan 22, 2024 at 8:58 PM Post #347 of 444
So there’s another model coming out after the umi?

Yup. I believe there's a budget dynamic driver he's working on but that's far off.

My understanding is that his flagship is next. The upcoming one is the Horizon which is... on the horizon. (Drum roll, good night everybody).

It's not neutral tuned though and I'm not sure on most of the details but it is bassy/warm.

Attachments

• PXL_20231001_174108179.jpg
    PXL_20231001_174108179.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Jan 22, 2024 at 9:12 PM Post #348 of 444
Yup. I believe there's a budget dynamic driver he's working on but that's far off.

My understanding is that his flagship is next. The upcoming one is the Horizon which is... on the horizon. (Drum roll, good night everybody).

It's not neutral tuned though and I'm not sure on most of the details but it is bassy/warm.
Ooh

Haha!!!! And oh wow……it’s…….um…… aesthetically……….hmmm……..polarizing……???

Jan 22, 2024 at 9:28 PM Post #349 of 444
Ooh

Haha!!!! And oh wow……it’s…….um…… aesthetically……….hmmm……..polarizing……???

Keep in mind that it was a prototype at the time so still subject to change. This was back in late September at SoCal CanJam

Jan 22, 2024 at 9:33 PM Post #350 of 444
My preference is the starry night v2 over the moonlight not saying the moonlight is bad it's just way more relaxed and more neutral. "Not as warm " as the starry night. Both compliment each other Imo
One last question. How do these compare technically. If my understanding is correct, they have a similar planar driver but different tuning so things like detail should be similar but how does soundstage and imaging compare?

Jan 22, 2024 at 9:35 PM Post #351 of 444
Keep in mind that it was a prototype at the time so still subject to change. This was back in late September at SoCal CanJam
Yes-good point. So it could still go from this to this……

Attachments

• IMG_6818.jpeg
    IMG_6818.jpeg
    153.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6819.jpeg
    IMG_6819.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 0
Jan 22, 2024 at 11:12 PM Post #352 of 444
One last question. How do these compare technically. If my understanding is correct, they have a similar planar driver but different tuning so things like detail should be similar but how does soundstage and imaging compare?
The soundstage is slightly better on the moonlight being open back and all. Detail retrieval is also slightly better on the moonlight but very similar. The main difference to me at least is the starry night is much more fun and energetic/ dynamic of course that's just my take.

Jan 27, 2024 at 12:19 AM Post #355 of 444
does ZMF have exclusive use of stablized wood in headphones? (I searched the net and stabilized wood seems pretty easy to buy and can be used in as replacement for wood in --any-- application
There are of course plenty of headphone companies that use wood cups, such as Audio Technica, Denon, Fostex, Grado...the list is pretty long. Stabilized wood is more rare, but I can think of some Kennerton headphones that have it, in their own unique Kennerton style. Perhaps we'll see a SJY version in the future?

Jan 27, 2024 at 9:23 AM Post #356 of 444
There are of course plenty of headphone companies that use wood cups, such as Audio Technica, Denon, Fostex, Grado...the list is pretty long. Stabilized wood is more rare, but I can think of some Kennerton headphones that have it, in their own unique Kennerton style. Perhaps we'll see a SJY version in the future?
Actually, when the question arose about stabilized wood, Kennerton was the first to come to mind...They make some gorgeous stabilized wood cups. :) And, I agree that a SJY version would be excellent.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #357 of 444
Actually, when the question arose about stabilized wood, Kennerton was the first to come to mind...They make some gorgeous stabilized wood cups. :) And, I agree that a SJY version would be excellent.
You may have misunderstood my intent regarding my comment about a SJY version. I fully and 100% find the plagarism and copying of other small businesses deplorable. I'll support a small business, but not when they behave like this.

Feb 1, 2024 at 9:22 PM Post #359 of 444
Feb 2, 2024 at 12:47 AM Post #360 of 444
Thx! My err in not catching your jest. Enjoy the music...
Cheers :smile_phones:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back