Sixteen year old girl wants first good pair of headphones
Nov 26, 2007 at 9:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

gdeering

New Head-Fier
And she's my daughter.

Glad Head-Fi is back up, I'm a long term haunter (it's scary to think about how long actually), and as someone who runs a website, I know what it's like to be down and cut off from your community.

My question, my daughter wants to use phones from her ipod in the car, and at home on ipod & laptop. Naturally her friends have Bose, but:

a) It's Bose, so I really want her to have the best sound possible.
b) Even if recommended for noise canceling, the better Bose phones are expensive - so I go back up to point a.

I looked at Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7 for the car and maybe the Grado SR60s for home, I have the Grado SR125s and Etymotic Research for travel.

She has really good taste, and is really into a lot of pretty decent music in may genres (and singer songwriter stuff that's not my style). She does not want in-ear phones, and I'm kind of out of love with them anyway - so....

Is the Audio-Technica a good choice for shutting/canceling noise and can it be driven by an ipod?

Is the noise reduction a cancellation of hum/low-level noise, or is it good enough to cancel car or subway conversation?

Since she wants cans, should I just look for closed headphones that can be driven by an ipod?

Any other ways to attack this would be appreciated too?

Thanks,

Gregg

Nov 26, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #3 of 44
If she's a pimp, look into these..
Hesh [SC-HESH] : Skullcandy

lol
Although I will say, it takes the right kind of girl to wear those.
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdeering /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Since she wants cans, should I just look for closed headphones that can be driven by an ipod?...

Pretty much, yes. There aren't a whole lot of good active noise canceling options out there [to my knowledge, anyway].

However the ATs may be a good choice, and can be run by an ipod.

Nov 26, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #4 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get her a pair of Sennheiser HD 25-1 II's, it'll cover most of your bases.

The HD-25 is a good recommendation, there not exactly stylish, but then again you won't have to worry about someone trying to steal them.

Basically I would stay away from from Bose and noise canceling, much better cans can be had at much lower prices then those Bose. I won't turn this into a Bose bash thread, as there are plenty of them already, just do a search for Bose.

Stick to cans that are sealed and 32 ohm if your not planing on driving them with an amp, for on the go. For home if she has already herd your SR125's and like them, then I would recommend the SR60's there great for the price. If she hasn't listened to them, I would suggest letting her hear them first as Grado is kind of a love/hate relationship. Some love them, allot hate them, I happen to love my SR80's.

Nov 26, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #8 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Susilo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its not illegal in Australia..... Represent! :p

Kangaroos do not move at such speeds that this would be an issue.

Nov 26, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #9 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kangaroos do not move at such speeds that this would be an issue.

Kangaroos do, however, tend to steal Sennheisers more often than Audio Technicas, so that may be a concern.

For the OP, I'll echo the sentiment to stay away from active noise cancellation. If I had a kid to buy for right now, I'd just grab either a pair of Panasonic HTX7 (cheap), or either AT ES7 or HD-25II (expensive), depending on which model she thinks looks the best. The Senns are probably the best judging from comparative reviews (never heard an ES7 myself), but also derive the most benefit from a portable amp, which I take it is not going to be in the picture here.

Nov 26, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #10 of 44
Grado SR60 or iGrado for iPods !

Nov 27, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #11 of 44
LOL at the Kangaroo hijack in this thread. I've heard they enjoy cans with pouchy sound.

Nov 27, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #12 of 44
Nov 27, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #13 of 44
Nov 27, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #14 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrosenth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could always go with the Beyerdynamic DT 231, which I think is a little gem (my wife loves them and the purple is snazzy!)

I was going to recommend them, but they are known not to seal very well. I've noticed the time or two I used my DT231's outdoors they didn't block much, and they leak quit a bit of sound. Another problem with them is the auto adjusting headband, if you walk with them they bounce up and down, but that can be remedied by removing the self adjusting headband (2 screws) . They are fine for home use though, decent lows (not boomy or muddy) and respectable mids and highs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrosenth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If open is okay, I'd definitely look at the Sennheiser HD 485

I can't say I agree here, the 2 pairs I've had (first pair cracked first 6 months of use) always leaned towards being too warm, also numerous reviews have expressed this as well. The mids and highs are pretty veiled, and they tend to sound better amped as opposed to unamped.

Nov 27, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #15 of 44
Yah, the beyer is pretty open despite being technically closed.

But far less open than the grados he's considering
biggrin.gif

I do like them far too much for what they cost.

Too bad about the senns breaking. I heard them and they were warm and a bit veiled (as with almost every Senn I've ever heard
biggrin.gif
), but not bad for the money especially if you're listening to less than ideal sources. Never had a pair long term enough to break them though (although now that you mention it I did break a headband on a 580
frown.gif
- ironically I've never had a problem with a Grado or any other brand).

If you're after some style the first ATH is probably tough to beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back